Poll: Fallout or Elder Scrolls?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Fallout or Elder Scrolls?

I'm not a huge fan of Bethesda, but no matter what game you are talking about that they put out, there is always massive amounts of hype behind it. Most notably are the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. Both series have huge followings and tons of fans, and despite the games being similar in some ways, more often than not I've noticed that people tend to prefer one series over the other. The question is, which do you prefer personally, and why?

I like Fallout better myself. I could never get into the Elder Scrolls just because the combat always bothered me. Granted, Fallout isn't that much better (I think that VATS is a terrible system, but if you don't like FPS then it's good), but it's at least slightly more satisfying than Elder Scrolls combat. It also feels a little bit more complex to me, due to the stats and perks systems. Overall, I just think that they are better designed games than the Elder Scrolls. I'm interested to see what Bethesda has in store for us for Fallout 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why follow the hype if they aren't your type of game?
    Putin khuliyo

Elder Scrolls are alright games for awhile but the flailing arms bit gets old fast. I personally prefer the Fallout games as they feel a bit more in depth and a bit more innovative as they go along and not just "same game but better graphics" syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Why follow the hype if they aren't your type of game?
    I never said that I did, haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had to rate the previous 2 games from each series, it'd be like this:

Skyrim > FO:NV > FO3 > OBV

I honestly couldn't pick one over the other. Playing the same D&D sword and shield game gets boring and playing in a wasteland where everyone is fighting off mutants 24/7 can get boring as well. But, both series are amazing.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-06-29 at 04:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elder Scrolls hands down

I can't stand post apocalypse games like the fallout series. The environment is bland and ugly IMO and Fallout 3 bored the hell out of me. I'm too much of a fantasy lover. I would go with TES against Fallout.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO FO3 > Skyrim > FO:NV > Obliv

I've put more hours into Fallout 3 than any other game (excluding MMOs of course). Skyrim was also an excellent game, but I prefer the post-apocalyptic setting of Fallout. I really liked New Vegas, but I don't know if I was unlucky or what, but I had a lot of trouble with bugs. Plus, I didn't like the setting as much. Oblivion is... well I liked it at the time, but I couldn't play it now. It just feels so dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post

I've put more hours into Fallout 3 than any other game (excluding MMOs of course). Skyrim was also an excellent game, but I prefer the post-apocalyptic setting of Fallout. I really liked New Vegas, but I don't know if I was unlucky or what, but I had a lot of trouble with bugs. Plus, I didn't like the setting as much. Oblivion is... well I liked it at the time, but I couldn't play it now. It just feels so dated.
    But you have to admit Oblivion had the best side quests and guild quests. Well IMO it did. I had such a blast doing the Thief's Guild quests.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    But you have to admit Oblivion had the best side quests and guild quests. Well IMO it did. I had such a blast doing the Thief's Guild quests.
    Oblivion definitely had some great sidequests. I liked Oblivion better than Skyrim, actually, because some of the sidequests felt more memorable than Skyrim's. I don't even really remember half of the things that I did in Skyrim. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Oblivion, even now, is a superior game. Skyrim is great and all, but I feel it's kinda hollow compared to Oblivion. Granted, Oblivion's been out much much longer, so the player-created content is much more robust. Skyrim will definitely hit that point and probably surpass it.

I played and beat Skyrim on several different builds, classes, races, etc. Talking all main quests + all (bethesda-released) side quests. Then I more or less stopped. Oblivion however, I just rolled another char to start last night. I just keep coming back to this game.

Fallout has ALWAYS been one of my favorite series. FO3 is an amazing game; I too enjoy the post-apoc setting more. But I also feel that FO3 can't hold a candle to Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Morrowind > FO:3 > FO:NV=Obliviov=Skyrim for me.

Nothing they made has come close to the amazingly fun time i had in Morrowind. FO:3 i HATED when it came out, due to wishing they were working on a TES game, and in my rage didnt play it until 3 weeks after launch. when i did start playing it. . . i didnt play any other game for atleast 6 months. i found myself doing everything i could and tring to go everywhere, even spots i wasnt supposed to be. farming TONS of gear and ammo and caps. such an amazing game.

FO:NV felt like an expansion to me, the DLC was amazing just like FO:3s, but the main story just didnt do it for me. loved all the new stuff they added except a few things here and there. Skyrim and Oblivion can never live up to Morrowind in my eyes, both were fun and Good games. just nothing like Morrowinds Amazement. plus they feel very "New Player" Friendly which is fine but i wish they didnt put things like fast travel into the game. i remember Hikeing Threw Morrowind just to set a Mark spell so i could Recall later xD

Tough one. Fallout 3 is probably one of my favorite games of all time. I literally scoured every inch of the Wasteland and enjoyed every second of it. In terms of immersion and exploration, its the best of any games I've seen yet.

While I don't quite get the same feeling playing Elder Scrolls games, I do think the series is better overall. And coupled together, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim outweight FO3, F:NV, and the older titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    The thieves guild in Oblivion was amazing, definitely. I think the thing that killed it for me (and by killed I mean made it a little worse, because I still enjoyed the game.) was the leveling system. On my main character I had done all the guild quests, all the side quests, and completed the main quest and my highest character was level 13. I still to this day have never gotten a piece of daedric gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post

Yeah I tried playing some Oblivion today, and I quit after half an hour. It sucks because, at the time, it was one of my favorite games. XD

Deleted
    defo fallout!

Deleted
    Fallout definetely.

The Elder Scrolls feels like a cheap, tacky IP, and the lore is uninspired.

I mean seriously, who decided that in Skyrim the empire should be a roman rip-off, complete with identical armor? Fuck's shake, they could do so much more with a fantasy setting and decide on that shit. That's one of many things that bother me.

Deleted
    Can't stand eithers combat as it just seems clunky and slow. Plus I don't find any of the stories in each of the games interesting. Just my opinion though.

Dagger > Morr >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Other games

F3 and F:NV are just spit in the face for Fallout funs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never tried fallout, hated oblivion, in love with skyrim :S