Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will farming with no MF gear totally gimp me?

Just got my melee wizard to 60 and dropped 15 mil to get him enough gear that should let me farm Act 3 at least. But while my resists and defensive stats are awesome along with a pretty high damage I have 0 MF%. I am in that group of people who refuses to swap gear unless Blizzard adds a WoW type function where you can swap gear sets with 1 click. I just find opening your bags and then swapping every piece of gear for every single elite fight the dumbest thing ever put into a game. Will I still be able to farm or did I just waste my time leveling and gearing this character when I have a monk with 240% MF on his normal gear that can just farm Act 1 all day with ease?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're fine. Remember, five stack Nephalem Valor gives you a guaranteed rare off elites, two when 1.0.3a comes, and one with 4 stacks.

I thought the double rare was only for bosses...

But no it won't. I am still only farming with about 40% MF from gear, it's all about the loot lottery. I go 3 weeks with nothing good and suddenly a 1k dps 1h with int and vit plus a good chestpiece that i can use for more farming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Deleted
    Short answer is that no, it will not "gimp" you since you still have plenty of guaranteed yellows with 5 stack.

However I'm almost positive that quick farming of Act 1 with 240% MF will be better than slow farming of Act 3 with 0% MF. My Wizard is capable of farming Act 3 comfortably with over 100% MF on normal gear and I'd still prefer to do Act 1 simply for the sheer speed of it. Unless your gear is awesome and you can 1 shot stuff in later Acts I believe Act 1 is the place to go for farming, that's what works best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Just got my melee wizard to 60 and dropped 15 mil to get him enough gear that should let me farm Act 3 at least. But while my resists and defensive stats are awesome along with a pretty high damage I have 0 MF%. I am in that group of people who refuses to swap gear unless Blizzard adds a WoW type function where you can swap gear sets with 1 click. I just find opening your bags and then swapping every piece of gear for every single elite fight the dumbest thing ever put into a game. Will I still be able to farm or did I just waste my time leveling and gearing this character when I have a monk with 240% MF on his normal gear that can just farm Act 1 all day with ease?

yes, and no. you're friends better start doing it, cause blizz is gonna fix it so you cant swap gear in combat most likely very soon (they've already stated they dont like the fact that people are doing this). MF increases your chances for rares/sets/legendaries to drop (note that it does not increase the ilvl, stats, or amount of items dropped, merely the chance for you to get more yellow/green/orange drops to occur), so with that being said, you can gimp your dps and get a fair amount of MF and just farm act1, since the drop rates are still kinda messed up in act3-4, plus it just takes longer; Act1 with a fair amount of MF is far far far better to farm at this current point and time.

10+ Year Old Account
    in A1 with the normal 5 stacks and no other mf you get 1 guaranteed yellow from every pack.
    there are ALOT of packs. and guides how to get to them in the shortest time.
    do that for a while, unti you can get better gear and you can replace some surv/dps gear with some MF gear.

then you will get 2-3 yellows from every pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    You're fine. Remember, five stack Nephalem Valor gives you a guaranteed rare off elites, two when 1.0.3a comes, and one with 4 stacks.
    It's already live and it's just off bosses not rare packs.

Well what do you want to hear ? If you can farm the same content with 240% mf in the same time or even need slightly longer of course you are gimping yourself. The difference of having 240% mf or not is huge. And I definitely think as well that farming act 1 with tons of mf should come out as being more efficient than farming act 3 with zero.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-07-07 at 04:40 AM.

Okay wow... the amount of mis-information in this thread is kinda scary...

1: Patch 1.0.3a already dropped. With a 5 stack, it's 1 rare per elite/champion pack, 2 from bosses. a 4 stack gives you 1 from bosses.
    2: Drop rates for Acts 3/4 were already fixed in a hotfix a week ago, bring the drop rates up substantially (even moreso since it hit Act 1/2 as well, and even Hell Act 3/4). If the drop rates STILL aren't high enough for you, you clear just want stuff handed to you with no effort.
    3: MF only increases chance to get a blue/yellow/orange/green item. All those "Superior/Fine/Masterwork/etc." white items you see are items that COULD have been magical.
    4: Stats are a pull on the loot slot machine. I wish you the best.

I have all of 18% MF on my gear, so I hit a max of 93% with a 5-stack. I see many elites and champions drop 2-3 yellows.

Will I ever bother with doing MF swapping? HELL NO. That type of gameplay is just messed up, and frankly, for the POTENTIAL gains, I'd rather just kill em and move on.
    MF is not a stat I seek, cause I have way higher priorities on my gear. Melee wizards need a fair bit to function well in the later acts (Int, All Resist, Vit, Crit Hit, Crit Damage, Life on Hit, maybe Attack Speed but I've not seen a need for it.), so Magic Find is basically a lucky happenstance if it shows up (as it did on the shoulders I found that I use).

Beyond that, dunno what to tell you. Act 3 farming is far slower, but the drop chances for ilevel 63 is like 4x that of Act 1, and ilevel 62 is almost 2x more.

10+ Year Old Account
    ZeroEdgeir <3.

some advice from me then also:

- try A1 with your max dps gear, see how fast you can do a butcher run (check youtube or mmo-champion for the video link to the most effective elite farming route)
    - then try A1 with a mix gear, a bit more MF
    see how fast you make it, then evaluate if it`s worth the time.

- try A2 elite farm, check youtube.
    - see if it`s worth it, and see if you like it.

- eventually try A3.

- you can do all the above solo or with random groups, see which you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post
    It's already live and it's just off bosses not rare packs.
    Got my letters mixed up, and I haven't really played today. 1.0.3b was supposed to make 4stacks=1 rare though?

until they make the mf swop changes, once u have completed act 3 and 4 just for personal progress you may aswell just forget about those 2 acts afterwards, I can clear act 3 as monk dps spec, but u still get those nasty packs that will kill u at least 5 times before u get it right. With 300 hours played farming all acts, I can safely say I make a load more money farming act 1 and 2 with mf then act 3 and 4 without.

Also the less effort u put into the game right now the more money u make. 1 Hr playing AH > 2 hr Act 1/2 Farming > 2hr Act 3/4 farming. Ironic dont u think?
    Last edited by DreamCast; 2012-07-07 at 08:22 AM.

Deleted
    Farming with no MF gear would certainly affect your loot. I farm with 240% but only in Act 1/2, I can't do it in Act 3 - so I consider Act 3 more "progression farming", even though I've completed it, I can't do it in my MF gear - yet.

I don't know many people who successfully farm act 3 or 4 in full MF gear to be honest and with 5 stacks you're still going to get a fair amount of loot so it's not going to gimp you to have no MF gear - but it's probably not the most efficient way of farming either.

But with the 1.03 changes to ilevel 63 gear dropping in Act 1/2 you may want to calculate how many ilevel 63s you can get per hour for different farming spots. I've actually run - Butcher runs - Maghda Runs - Zoltan Kulle/Belial Runs - Ghom runs - Siegebreaker runs and time/ilevel 63 I find ZK by far the best for me, although if I've only got 20-30 minutes and I know I'm not going to have any extra time I'll do butcher runs and they're not awful either.

It is worth you trying one of each yourself and trying to calculate what you think each run takes in time and how much ilevel 63 loot you get with the gear you need to wear to do it efficiently.

I just don't find Act 3 efficient because I'm more likely to run into packs I have to skip or kite for 3 hours so time wise I actually end up with more 63 rares from Act 2 runs.

That being said if you enjoy Act 3 more or are enjoying the challenge etc. then don't worry about the MF - it may be less efficient but it's by no means totally gimping yourself to wear progression gear.

alright so after clearing out act 3 and act 4 inferno last night and getting total sh!t for drops, this morning I did act 2 and on my 8 th elite pack got a dagger with 875 dps, 490 loh, 133 dex, 84 vit and a socket.lol

So I can faceroll act 2 while watching something and get rewarded a lot better then ever been in the higher acts.lol

Just started a farming route and before I even got a single stack of NV killed a treasure goblin I found inside that tower in N highlands who dropped 2 lvl 62 amulets and a 63 crossbow. Im starting to think Blizzard is trolling us with MF.

10+ Year Old Account
    @DreamCast
    what class are you...

Quote Originally Posted by DreamCast View Post
    alright so after clearing out act 3 and act 4 inferno last night and getting total sh!t for drops, this morning I did act 2 and on my 8 th elite pack got a dagger with 875 dps, 490 loh, 133 dex, 84 vit and a socket.lol

So I can faceroll act 2 while watching something and get rewarded a lot better then ever been in the higher acts.lol
    The droprate for 63s in 3/4 and I assume pony is noticeably better compared to Act 2. 16.3% for 63s in Acts 3/4 compared to 9.3% in Act 2 and only 4.8% in Act 1. I guess it just depends on how easy your class can do Acts 3 and 4. Those are off the Blizzard hotfix list for June 28th here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6214..._628-6_28_2012

Was there some hidden patch yesterday? I was farming ACT1 (2x full clear ) and ACT2 about the half ACT and average ilvl that dropped was 58. All the time i had 5 stacks of Valor and with my MF i had 180%. Most of the times i was getting 1 rage and only from bosses 2-3. Never had more then 3 drop. And as I said, rares that dropped were for lvl55 most of the time with ilvl52. Only few items that dropped were ilvl61 and only 1 was ilvl63...

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Was there some hidden patch yesterday? I was farming ACT1 (2x full clear ) and ACT2 about the half ACT and average ilvl that dropped was 58. All the time i had 5 stacks of Valor and with my MF i had 180%. Most of the times i was getting 1 rage and only from bosses 2-3. Never had more then 3 drop. And as I said, rares that dropped were for lvl55 most of the time with ilvl52. Only few items that dropped were ilvl61 and only 1 was ilvl63...
    Still getting plenty of 61-63 rares from A1 and quite often 2 or even 3 rares from champs/elites and I have 0 MF outside of the NV.
    So in conclusion RNG is RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    DAMN THIS RNG AND THE ONE WHO INVENTED IT!

nah, I`m kidding RNG, you`re a cool guy.