Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

If you won a lottery...of 50million dollars...

Before you post, know that this isn't some scheme to make everyone get pissed that they didn't win the lottery, this thread is here because earlier today I saw the lottery sign drop from 100million to 50 which means someone won the 100 million (no taxes in Canada) and instead of getting jealous I decided to make a list of everything I would do, and it helped, it made me respect the luck of the winner and it helped me 'release' all the jealousy I have had of jack pot winners for most of my life.

What would you do if you won it?
    Personally this is how it would go.
    Donate around 5 million to charity
    buy a nice house for my house and apartments for my direct family (they like apartments way more than houses)
    give 100k to each of my indirect family members up to my Aunts and Grandparents
    buy an Aston Martin one77, Bugatti Veyron or a Rolls Royce (who knows, with 50 million I could buy all 3 :P)
    buy any car my Dad wants and any car my Mom wants
    let my Sisters and Mom go on a shopping spree in Holt Renfrew (for non-Canadians it's pretty much Nordstrom except EVERYTHING is designer, been in it and I'll be honest everything look amazing lol)
    then I'd probably go on a vacation with my family to the one place I really really want to see, Borra Borra (tropical island not Torra Bora-the hideout of Osama)
    and finally, build the most bad ass gaming rig/collection of games ever made
    after that most likely I'd just enjoy my life.
    Last edited by Aerimae; 2012-07-08 at 11:57 AM.

I day dream about this all the time

I'd pay off my student loan first, then my parents' mortages, then set up a trust for my sister, and then buy an apartment. After that I'll probably take ~10k and go on a shopping spree XD

Pay off the parents' mortgage and buy them a new car, because they currently have a Toyota Corolla.
    Donate some to the Turing museum at Bletchley House (if you don't don't who Turing was, and what happened at Bletchley house during WWII, shame on you).
    Find some other worthwhile causes to donate to.
    Buy a nice house.
    Get a driving license.
    Invest some of it
    Bank the rest

This might sound crazy...but build my dream house of living in a hobbit hole. Yes...I am THAT much of a lord of the rings fan. Would probably be in the countryside, maybe PA or something.

Then set aside about 5 million for myself, pay off my families debts etc and donate the rest to some charity, probably a national park or something idk.

Deleted
    Buy a bunker, zombie proof it.
    Make sure my mum is taken care of.

Build a real estate empire, by smartly playing the field.

Double that money in 10 years? Hell yeah. Have several high-class towers in capital cities across Europe by the time I'm 50? Hell yeah x2.

Charity? Screw charity! Help some low-mid class families with affordable houses > donating money to feed lazy hungry people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy a nice flat in my hometown and maybe 1 or 2 in other cities.
    Buy a nice little house for my mom.
    Hire a chauffeur because I hate driving.
    Travel around the world (listing all places I want to go would be a serious case of tl;dr
    Never ever work again (the most important on that list)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    This might sound crazy...but build my dream house of living in a hobbit hole. Yes...I am THAT much of a lord of the rings fan. Would probably be in the countryside, maybe PA or something.

Then set aside about 5 million for myself, pay off my families debts etc and donate the rest to some charity, probably a national park or something idk.
    You can just buy one of the houses they made for the set.

Chuck it in a high interest bank account, fly back to England for a vacation, see my family again.

Give a couple of mil to my parents and my sister. Sit back and enjoy life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pay off all debts to any one I know then give it all away or spend it on people who i dont know and just make their lives happy. My life's never really happy, so whats the point in keeping the money wont change anything. Only thing that makes me happy is making others happy, and i never get or expect the same in return.

Life is just.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ust-3-000.html

Don't need anywhere near 50 mill.

Charity? Screw charity! Help some low-mid class families with affordable houses > donating money to feed lazy hungry people.
    Contrary to what many charities would lead you to believe, there are other worthwhile causes that you can donate to where you would really make a difference. For example a local history museum whose grant just got axed due to budget cuts and is close to closing.

I would build a mansion with secret rooms and passageways, a fully furnished nuclear bunker, and a variety of other awesome things (a proper theater, for one).
    I would go to college and buy a house in that area, too.

And, obviously, a top-of-the-line computer every year, at the least.

Hell, why not buy a ton of amazing Diablo 3 gear, while I'm at it? :P

I'd almost certainly give my parents, I don't know, 5 million? Split a couple million between my closest friends (as well as letting them live at my sweet-ass mansion).

And, in the end, save something like 10-20 million to live off for the rest of my days or for potential start-up funds for future business ventures.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

With 5 million I would make my previous employee debt free, I have to thank him for much.
    Then I would make sure my parents and my sister get their share.

Then I would give up my home, flying around in the world living in hotels only. Perhaps I would even apply for some internships for free, because I actually like my profession and this is the best way to experience the way of life of the part of the world.

Transfer about 10 million in gold and stash it somewhere for a worst case scenario.
    Put 10 million in a bank to collect the interest and life off it.
    Invest the other 30 in a business.
    I'm not giving any money to relatives and such, since this will:
    1. Ruins the relationship with them.
    2. They will spend it in a month or two and want more.

Hell, why not buy a ton of amazing Diablo 3 gear, while I'm at it? :P
    You can't spend more than $3250 on a full set of gear anyway 13 item slots, $250 maximum bid.

Deleted
    Live off the interest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steik View Post
    That is so fucking awesome I think I just came...

10+ Year Old Account
    pay winning tax .... sob for a while...enjoy remaining 25 mil ;p