Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If I don't like doing something for a hobby then I usually stop doing it; I don't usually feel like it has been a waste though.

And really, do you look back at other hobbies you've had and feel sad, like say with sports , music, or reading?

Why would you quit the only fun thing in life save for sex?

Do I regret playing video games as a whole? Not at all.
    I just wish when I'd started, I'd moderated how much I play them more.

If you enjoyed those years of video gaming, then it's not "time wasted".

Time wasted is standing in line for a movie that you have waited for a long time, finally getting in after three hours of waiting, and finding out the movie is utter bullshit and a movie not even worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Seriously this. I'm a high-speed, low-drag, supah-healah. Doling out the feel-goods LIKE A BAWS, keeping everyone shiny, happy and cool. Staying on top of my game, even in a combat situati....THERE'S THAT DAMN GROUNDHOG AGAIN!!!

Quitting gaming isn't necessary to have a life. When I've got nothing better to do, which is frequent right now since I'm having trouble finding a job, video games are a nice activity. I don't see why people act like gaming is the same as drug addiction. I've been a gamer my whole life, and not once has it ever interfered with or impacted any other aspect of my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    If video games are the drug that some of you seem to think then maybe you should quit. Games are meant to be a hobby, you know... something you do in your free time.
    If you have more important things or things you'd rather be doing and you put them off for game, then you've got bigger problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Today, I uninstalled every Blizzard game on my computer! And it felt great!

I had other stuff too...but I had to delete it to free space for D3...

Anyway, this is not a rant. I don't hate videogames (or Blizzard for that matter). I just really love things that are not videogames so much more atm.

Looking back at all the time I wasted. It's a little bit sad. But that isn't the motivation of this post.

The point is...

Are there things you would rather be doing that gaming?

Go do them.
    It's not time wasted. It's as valid entertainment as watching a movie or any other activity.

Right now, I'd rather be drawing in Inkscape, but I'm playing a game at the moment because I need a break from it.
    Putin khuliyo

I game because it's what i like to do. Take my parents and sister for example. they read books and watch tv in their free time. I game during mine. Life is what you make of it. If you feel free due to not gaming anymore then you were probably a little bit more on the addicted side then you should be. That is just my 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by perseas24 View Post
    I game because it's what i like to do. Take my parents and sister for example. they read books and watch tv in their free time. I game during mine. Life is what you make of it. If you feel free due to not gaming anymore then you were probably a little bit more on the addicted side then you should be. That is just my 2 cents.
    Besides, some games, like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, have well written stories (for the most part,) so how is it so different from reading a book? They have the added bonus of being interactive and actually putting you in the character's world. That's what I love about RPG games, actually seeing the story and its world unfold before my very eyes.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Besides, some games, like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, have well written stories (for the most part,) so how is it so different from reading a book? They have the added bonus of being interactive and actually putting you in the character's world. That's what I love about RPG games, actually seeing the story and its world unfold before my very eyes.
    Well, since you asked, the difference is that in a book you have to use your own imagination. In a game everything is drawn out for you.

If you had fun then it wasn't time wasted.

Gaming is the thing I would rather do than whatever else I'm doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Well, since you asked, the difference is that in a book you have to use your own imagination. In a game everything is drawn out for you.
    And in a movie you don't even get to experience being the character. Besides, some have a hard time visualising things, making reading a much less rewarding task. It's different forms of entertainment, all is equally viable.

Also, in games like ME and DA, you develop your own story. Try doing that in a book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL at the Otakus rushing to defend their sensibilities. Allow me to clarify again. I never said videogames were inherently bad. I said that they are a waste of my time if I have better things to do. And I do. I was playing these games compulsively, out of habit, not because I was having fun. I wasn't. That really is a problem. I deleted them from my harddrive in order to avoid playing them even more out of compulsion. Plenty of people play out of habit more than fun, if you don't recognize that, you're probably one of them.

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 12:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    If you had fun then it wasn't time wasted.
    I didn't. It was wasted.

Anyway, this is not a rant. I don't hate videogames (or Blizzard for that matter). I just really love things that are not videogames so much more atm.

Looking back at all the time I wasted. It's a little bit sad. But that isn't the motivation of this post.

The point is...

Go do them.
    Video games is a hobby and it's like any other hobby out there. If it felt great to uninstall Blizzard games, well then you must have been addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoskadosk View Post
    And in a movie you don't even get to experience being the character. Besides, some have a hard time visualising things, making reading a much less rewarding task. It's different forms of entertainment, all is equally viable.

Also, in games like ME and DA, you develop your own story. Try doing that in a book.
    You do? I thought you could only play what the developers put in the game?

I don't really play video games enough for me to quit.

I do plan on playing a lot more if I can when Guild Wars 2 is released though, but will probably be too busy to play as much as I'd like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    If it felt great to uninstall Blizzard games, well then you must have been addicted.
    Probably so. I think I conceded as much.

Gaming is a hobby and I happen to enjoy it. Though I don't spend so much time that I neglect other things that I enjoy like baking, shopping, etc.

LadyM
    mmoresearch.blogspot.com

Go do them.
    Maybe working since I don't have a consistent work schedule(might get 1-3 days a week, maybe).

I don't see the time I've spent gaming as a waste, not really anyways sure there was a lot of other things I could have done in stead but gaming was what I enjoyed, I still love playing my games and I've met some of the most amazing people while playing them and wouldn't give up those experiences for anything.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

The point is...

Are there things you would rather be doing than gaming?

Go do them.
    Gaming is...Wait for iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit cause you'll be surprised...............................A HOBBY...

So normal people do it in their FREE TIME...

If you enjoy what you do in your free time it is not wasted time...