Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

"Couple arrested for DANCING at train platform"

"
    A two-stepping couple in their 50s say were trotted off to jail after police in New York City arrested them for dancing on a subway platform.
    Caroline Stern, a dentist, and George Hess, a movie prop master, were waiting for a train at the Columbus Circle station after a late evening at Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Midsummer Night’s Swing last year when they began dancing the Charleston to a musician playing the steel drums.
    Ms Stern says she and her boyfriend were feeling the beat and there were very few people on the platform so they started moving to the rhythm.
    That's when police came in and spoiled the fun, they told the New York Post.
    'They said, "What are you doing?" and we said, "We’re dancing,"' she recalled.
    'And they said, "You can’t do that on the platform."'The officers demanded their ID. When Ms Stern only had a credit car, the police ordered the couple to go with them.
    When Mr Hess pulled out a camera to start recording the incident, the officers called for backup and the situation turned nasty, the couple says.
    They claim more police ran to the subway platform and tackled Mr Hess, 54, to the floor and handcuffed him. Ms Stern, 55, was also cuffed and arrested.

Officers charged them with resiting arrested and disorderly conduct for 'impeding the flow of traffic.'Ms Stern told the Post the subway station was nearly empty at the time.'It was absolutely ridiculous that this happened,' she said.Prosecutors dropped all charges against the couple, though not before they spent 23 hours in jail.
    As a result of the arrested, Ms Stern and Mr Hess are now suing the city of New York for the arrest."

-
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-platform.html

So do you guys think the arrest was valid? From the story, it doesn't sound like they were resisting arrest, or impeding traffic. I would have been suspicious of public intoxication if I were an officer, but that's about it.

The officer had no reason to ID the couple, the fact that he asked for ID is extremely suspicious. The fact that the officer got super defensive when they attempted to record the whole event reeks of dirty/bad cops. I hope they win the lawsuit.

Deleted
    Daily Mail.
    There is most Likely a lot missing from this.

if (and I use the word IF) all they where doing was dancing then I do not see the problem.
    I am also unsure whether or not US citizens are by law meant to carry photo ID with them (something we do not have to do in the UK)

if the Daily mail is right, and all they where doing is dancing and all she had on her was her CC and no other means of identification then the police involved in this need to go back to police school and learn some god damn common sense.

It's why you don't do the Safety Dance. Cops are not your friends; they don't dance.

Anywaaay.... It sounds like a cop failing at his job or otherwise being overzealous. Good thing they dropped all charges, and I hope the lawsuit goes well for them.

Deleted
    If there was no "Don't dancing on the platform" sign, I don't see why they should be forbidden from dancing. I would be very embarassed if I was arrested for that.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    There may be no law requiring you to carry photo ID in the US... but you'd be pretty stupid not to go anywhere with out it. Case in point, overzealous cops like these. Or bored cops, or cops in a bad mood, or needing to meet their ticket quota.

As for the "you can't dance here," that's just pure BS. That's the example of a cop abusing their power.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

I'm afraid I can't see anything wrong with a "two-stepping old couple."

Deleted
    It might be a little bit disturbing, so I kind of see police's point...

Not worthy arresting though imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was wild break dancing I can see the reason for intervention, but simple two stepping? Little retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyM View Post
    I'm afraid I can't see anything wrong with a "two-stepping old couple."
    On a subway platform, I can see the issue. Granted, it probably doesn't deserve an arrest, but there's safety issues involved I'm sure.

Invalid arrest. I hope the couple wins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Money hungry people. Anything anything ever happens someone always sues.

Also I want to see the video were "They claim more police ran to the subway platform and tackled Mr Hess, 54, to the floor and handcuffed him." - For all we know he might have/not been resisting arrest.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

15+ Year Old Account
    Stupid.
    You can't dance on the platform, he was only try to keep them safe. Dancing = chance to slip, slipping off the platform and onto the tracks could break your leg as you get ran over by a train. Officer was only enforcing the rules and trying to keep people safe, and what happens, well douchebags being douchebags. Hope the cops win.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Stupid.
    You can't dance on the platform, he was only try to keep them safe. Dancing = chance to slip, slipping off the platform and onto the tracks could break your leg as you get ran over by a train. Officer was only enforcing the rules and trying to keep people safe, and what happens, well douchebags being douchebags. Hope the cops win.
    There was no need to handcuff them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Stupid.
    The two-step is such a high-risk dance.

Edit:

Also, is there some kind of rule there stating you can't dance?

Then, a bit unrelated...

"Prosecutors dropped all charges against the couple, though not before they spent 23 hours in jail. "

Gee, all charges were dropped. Funny, that.

Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-07-09 at 03:35 AM.

Only in the US.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-07-09 at 04:34 AM.

Deleted
    Should just strap "NO FUN ALLOWED" to police.

If the platform was really busy, and they were really drunk causing a commotion yes. BUT it seems like they were just dancing on an empty platform .. so no i don't agree with the arrest and they have a case against the police and will most likely get something out of it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    On a subway platform, I can see the issue. Granted, it probably doesn't deserve an arrest, but there's safety issues involved I'm sure.
    If that's what they wanted them to stop for, they wouldn't need to bloody tackle them for it.