Deleted

Question A question, if you will; the player economy and viability of level scaling

A couple of questions I've been meaning to ask - I will ask and explain so you understand what I want out of an answer.

1) The player economy
    Comparing this to another popular MMO you've all heard of, World of Warcraft, I am wondering how player economy functions. World of Warcraft uses an Auction House feature that allows you to search, bid and buyout items such as crafting materials, weapons, armour, pets, etc. and this is usually the source of most people's income. Due to the lack of powerful gear and absence, at least, I think, of an auction house in Guild Wars 2, how will the player economy function? Alternatively, will there be no formal player economy? Formality being an implemented system to allow easy trading, such as cash on delivery mail or instant transfer auction houses, informal being shouting WTS x-ITEM x-MONEY

2) Level scaling and its viability
    If you are level 30 and you go back to a level 5 zone to quest with a friend, will you receive the same amount of experience and same level of gear? I ask this because I am generally a quicker leveller than friends who have less time to play but will still like to level with them. If I go back to a level 5 zone I will be downlevelled to level 5. Do I still receive level 5 loot and experience or will I receive loot and experience equal to my level? For example, a level 5 may get 15 experience for killing an enemy, and a level 30 may get 80. Will I still get 80 if I kill that mob, hypothetically?

These are 2 questions I've been wondering about and I'd appreciate if anyone had an answer, but I understand if you don't. Thank you for your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    2) Level scaling and its viability
    If you are level 30 and you go back to a level 5 zone to quest with a friend, will you receive the same amount of experience and same level of gear? I ask this because I am generally a quicker leveller than friends who have less time to play but will still like to level with them. If I go back to a level 5 zone I will be downlevelled to level 5. Do I still receive level 5 loot and experience or will I receive loot and experience equal to my level? For example, a level 5 may get 15 experience for killing an enemy, and a level 30 may get 80. Will I still get 80 if I kill that mob, hypothetically?

These are 2 questions I've been wondering about and I'd appreciate if anyone had an answer, but I understand if you don't. Thank you for your time.
    You will receive the same amount % of experience in relation to your subsequent levels, so if your level 5 friend killed that mob with you you would both get 1% of your exp or whatever, thats what seemed to happen with me and my friend.. So you neednt worry about outpacing your friend. Afaik the loot will be upscaled but I really am guessing at that.

A scaled down character continues to receive experience and loot appropriate to their real level, but it is somewhat less efficient for obtaining experience and items than playing level-appropriate content.
    I found that on the wiki, I dont know why its not as efficient maybe there is a minimal adjustment on the % I dont know maybe your friend gets 1% and you get 0.75 or something.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-07-11 at 04:59 PM.

1) Economy
    GW2 features a Trading Post, which allows players to post items for sale, bid on/buy out items, or post bids (requests) from anywhere in the world. The only caveat is that when you win an item, or your sale finishes, you have to visit the Trading Post to pick up the item/money. And, the Trading Post is global (all servers)

2) Level scaling
    Level scaling will give you roughly the same rewards as being in a level-appropriate area. I'm not certain if there's a small reduction, or if it's flat-out identical. Gear drops will be appropriate for your level, experience will be close if not identical to what you'd get in areas for your level.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!
    Search for BLTC and Sidekicking, respectively
    Last edited by rhandric; 2012-07-11 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Thank you both, that clears that up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    1) Economy
    GW2 features a Trading Post, which allows players to post items for sale, bid on/buy out items, or post bids (requests) from anywhere in the world. The only caveat is that when you win an item, or your sale finishes, you have to visit the Trading Post to pick up the item/money. And, the Trading Post is global (all servers)
    The bolded part should not be understated. You can literally right click an item in your bags at any time (when you're not in combat, I'd wager) and put it up for sale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also worth noting the Trading Post is global over all servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    The bolded part should not be understated. You can literally right click an item in your bags at any time (when you're not in combat, I'd wager) and put it up for sale.
    My friend said thats not as realistic as wow, I said you just pulled a dragon out of your pocket mate, dont push it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I mentioned that You're slipping Mif, first you're late on posting the interview (albeit in an easier to find place), and now you're not reading replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Oh damn, i didn't notice that. Good to know. That's actually genius because players won't be able to have a monopoly with so many people.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    My friend said thats not as realistic as wow, I said you just pulled a dragon out of your pocket mate, dont push it.
    The technology of magical mailboxes that deliver mail without the need of a mailman has been advanced to be portable. =P

Deleted
    I always said not to argue realism in a game that sends you dragons through the mail.

Sometimes it's not realism you want, but convenience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    The technology of magical mailboxes that deliver mail without the need of a mailman has been advanced to be portable. =P
    There is actually a pigeon flying across the screen when you receive a mail. I noticed it on several occasions during the last BWE, and had my friend send me mails repeatedly in order to confirm the theory.

10+ Year Old Account
    During my time on the last BWE I sold mats on the Trading Post. I didn't want to waste a lot of time with it since I had other goals, so I found the "buy order" function (not sure of the exact name) especially convenient. Other players had placed orders for mats, so I just clicked whichever one was paying the most and cleared my bags!

I'm sure there will be a market for gear and items as a player gave me a staff so I could level up those skills - I hadn't found one yet - so they are tradeable. Also worth noting, but maybe someone can confirm - I don't believe gear is soulbound, I think you can sell it after you've worn it.

---------- Post added 2012-07-11 at 10:14 AM ----------

Most likely Asuran technology.
    Valar morghulis

There is actually a pigeon flying across the screen when you receive a mail. I noticed it on several occasions during the last BWE, and had my friend send me mails repeatedly in order to confirm the theory.
    I was simply pointing out how silly the realism argument was in this case =P. Regardless, a pigeon carrying a set of armor doesn't do much to defend the point of realism. And no pigeon goes out when you put something in the trading post, which is what the discussion was about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I'm sure there will be a market for gear and items as a player gave me a staff so I could level up those skills - I hadn't found one yet - so they are tradeable. Also worth noting, but maybe someone can confirm - I don't believe gear is soulbound, I think you can sell it after you've worn it.
    That's correct. Also, there's vendors that'll sell you level-appropriate items of all types. If you're level 17, for example, the vendor will offer weapons of all types (rifles, staves, scepters, torches, daggers, greatswords, shields, et cetera) and armor for all professions (light, medium, and heavy) for both level 15 and level 20. Worth to keep in mind for the next BWE, if you want to get a specific weapon type again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was simply pointing out how silly the realism argument was in this case =P. Regardless, a pigeon carrying a set of armor doesn't do much to defend the point of realism. And no pigeon goes out when you put something in the trading post, which is what the discussion was about.
    You quoted a joke i think delias, I dont think he was being serious, sarcasm is hard to judge sometimes but that one was pretty clear :S

Deleted
    You quoted a joke i think delias, I dont think he was being serious, sarcasm is hard to judge sometimes but that one was pretty clear :S
    It wasn't sarcasm though.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's correct. Also, there's vendors that'll sell you level-appropriate items of all types. If you're level 17, for example, the vendor will offer weapons of all types (rifles, staves, scepters, torches, daggers, greatswords, shields, et cetera) and armor for all professions (light, medium, and heavy) for both level 15 and level 20. Worth to keep in mind for the next BWE, if you want to get a specific weapon type again.

Good to know, thx Jigain!
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't sarcasm though.
    Oh man your right...it sounded so stupid but its just symbolic for mail sent as opposed to an actual pigeon flying off with your armor.

Oh man your right...it sounded so stupid but its just symbolic for mail sent as opposed to an actual pigeon flying off with your armor.
    It is a nice feature, though. You know, 'it's the little things' and all that good stuff. I rate it right up there with the grass being pushed to the side when I shoot a big projectile through it, like the necromancer's staff 1 skill. (No that post was not sarcastic, as sarcastically as it reads.)