Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Moved to (General) Video Games Discussion. Please, check to see if there is a more appropriate sub-forum to start a thread in before making it in General Off-Topic.

I am really tempted to get the game. It looks nice. Very 'crisp'. The pet idea makes it more appealing that Diablo 3 for me too (not to mention the price!). I'm hoping the discount on it is reduced by the end of the Steam sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Moved to (General) Video Games Discussion. Please, check to see if there is a more appropriate sub-forum to start a thread in before making it in General Off-Topic.

I am really tempted to get the game. It looks nice. Very 'crisp'. The pet idea makes it more appealing that Diablo 3 for me too (not to mention the price!). I'm hoping the discount on it is reduced by the end of the Steam sales.
    You move it to video game forum but dont check if there is another thread?

And for the cost... you get 1/5th of Diablo 3 for 1/3th of cost, thats pretty bad.

I don't know. TL1 was OK I guess, but the entirely awful talent system as well as no real sense of design to the levels kind of killed my interest after a while. They may be randomly generated, but they're also kind of samey.

I played the D3 demo and liked it, but the final result seems to be a game where you can either get to inferno in the first two days of release and have silly money, bot (I've seen one that's a script and it's shocking how non random D3 really is), or Buy To Win. Pretty poor overall. So much potential, but missed the mark in many areas.

I actually went back to try TL again after playing the D3 demo, and I couldn't get on with it. I'd left it in the middle of something and have no idea which way I'm supposed to be going any more. D3 doesn't do that I suppose.

It seems the genre is still open to outsiders at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    And for the cost... you get 1/5th of Diablo 3 for 1/3th of cost, thats pretty bad.
    Torchlight arguably has more content, and much more depth to its content, than D3. D3 was a short campaign you had to do 4 separate times to beat. Torchlight doesn't operate off of that idea. Also, it actually has a talent system, unlike the boring "rune" system D3 had.

That could be debated, I did spend more time in torchlight 1 then diablo 3 even with full clearing the game, which at that point I was already pretty sad about it because nothing felt too epic on the 4th go on bosses and the most difficult thing seemed to be random packs. To be fair I did sell(RMAH) my equipment for more than I would of paid for the game(go go annual pass, helped me kick up to 6 month sub and save money even).

Either way, Torchlight 2 looks pretty fun and steam usually ends up doing some pretty crazy deals a few months after things have been out so I would think anyone that liked D3 might enjoy this as well even if it is a different type of the same genre.

One of the few complaints I had about torchlight 1 was the UI always seemed too close and large to me but after you were playing for a bit you wouldn't notice that much, hope they let you pull back more in Tl2.
    Ricotta,Corleggy Retired.

You move it to video game forum but dont check if there is another thread?

I agree with your first statement, I'm guessing the Baiyn probably doesn't know about it. Also wish people pimping their own youtube channel would get an instant ban.

I assume with your second statement you are trying to start a flame war, seeing as TL2 isn't released and you give no metric how it is 1/5 of D3.

Any source for that 1/5th of D3 assertion? From what I've seen, it's about as fully featured as D3 and supports mods as well (which provides TONS of potential extra content). We don't know the full size of the game yet so we can't say, time-wise, how much content the game will really have. But with features, both games are pretty similar. Heck, TL2 even has some character customization in it, something D3 doesn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Clymene View Post
    I assume with your second statement you are trying to start a flame war, seeing as TL2 isn't released and you give no metric how it is 1/5 of D3.
    I think some people are just very loyal to one game and will judge others far too soon, maybe that's not the case but it came across as such.

I hope anyone that is a fan of the style can see the benefit in competition even if it is a smaller company vs a huge one like blizzard. We may not see the same quality of cut scenes as D3 had but I think the game play will be equally enjoyable or better(based off Tl1 and videos I've seen of Tl2).

Quote Originally Posted by Corleggy View Post
    I think some people are just very loyal to one game and will judge others far too soon, maybe that's not the case but it came across as such.

I hope anyone that is a fan of the style can see the benefit in competition even if it is a smaller company vs a huge one like blizzard. We may not see the same quality of cut scenes as D3 had but I think the game play will be equally enjoyable or better(based off Tl1 and videos I've seen of Tl2).
    I've played both betas of both games and Diablo 3 was not that enjoyable for me unlike Torchlight 2. I spend over 40 hours on that beta... 20 hours in my main engineer! (And the beta was just act1!)

I had tons of fun playing even when I hit the levelcap (beta level cap that is) I would still play it because it is enjoyable!

I guess you have a point that the cutscenes may not be that of diablo 3, however I do not play games for cutscenes, if Blizzard would've used that time to make Diablo 3 a better game I would've enjoyed it a lot more.

Let's be fair... anyone who played diablo 2 will say that they skipped every single cutscene because after watching each cutscene twice it pretty much gets old. Where is diablo 2 is still a good game... even if you take out the cutscenes.
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm impressed to see it back up to the top 10 games on Steam again, something must have made people preorder it some more for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Riathy View Post
    I've played both betas of both games and Diablo 3 was not that enjoyable for me unlike Torchlight 2. I spend over 40 hours on that beta... 20 hours in my main engineer! (And the beta was just act1!)

I had tons of fun playing even when I hit the levelcap (beta level cap that is) I would still play it because it is enjoyable!

I guess you have a point that the cutscenes may not be that of diablo 3, however I do not play games for cutscenes, if Blizzard would've used that time to make Diablo 3 a better game I would've enjoyed it a lot more.

Let's be fair... anyone who played diablo 2 will say that they skipped every single cutscene because after watching each cutscene twice it pretty much gets old. Where is diablo 2 is still a good game... even if you take out the cutscenes.
    I think I wasn't clear enough :P I prefere Tl2 over D3, the cut scenes are epic but I watched them more as a movie after beating the game. I just think they spent too much money on hype and trying to profit off the RMAH and didn't make enough repeatable content.

Is there any release date for Torchlight 2 yet?
    i5 3570k
    WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    16GB DDR3 1600 Ram
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser499 View Post
    Is there any release date for Torchlight 2 yet?
    They said summer, but no there is no exact release date. So, probably August would be my guess.

I would guess august as well, seems like if it was this month they would of let us know.

Deleted
    The devs are polishing like crazy at the moment, it shouldn't be too long. All that time invested on it will just enhance the final result. If only more devs had the opportunity to polish their games more.

---------- Post added 2012-07-13 at 08:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Clymene View Post

Not the first time for this specific poster, seems like a habit of his Poor thing.
    Last edited by mmoc3fe040ec5f; 2012-07-13 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corleggy View Post
    I think I wasn't clear enough :P I prefere Tl2 over D3, the cut scenes are epic but I watched them more as a movie after beating the game. I just think they spent too much money on hype and trying to profit off the RMAH and didn't make enough repeatable content.
    Nothing to do with your preference, it's just that games these days seems to focus more on CGI and GFX rather than gameplay! Which is a bad practice in my opinion!

That said I did get my money's worth out of D3 since I sold an item for 250 euro ^_^
    Last edited by Riathy; 2012-07-13 at 01:14 PM.
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

Dam shame this ain't coming out for summer anymore but september at least, would of probably had more sale too, if it arrived before GW2 and MoP, no time now to play 3 timesink games:P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Dam shame this ain't coming out for summer anymore but september at least, would of probably had more sale too, if it arrived before GW2 and MoP, no time now to play 3 timesink games:P
    September is a late place holder date. I imagine it will come out mid-late August.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a pretty decent game.

For $20 it's DEFINITELY worth, especially since I've quit D3 until Blizz can patch things together.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    Looks like a pretty decent game.

For $20 it's DEFINITELY worth, especially since I've quit D3 until Blizz can patch things together.
    You got more chance of winning the lottery.