Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Not impressed with races..

For me playable races make or break the mmo. This was my ONLY real problem with Rift, I loved almost everything about the game at the start, and wanted it to "really be the one", but I just got bored... In the beginning, I had trouble picking a race because I hated them all (everyone basically looked exactly the same, save for them in endgame armor, for each side: elf variants, and human/human variants), which was the start of the downfall for me, and basically the only reason I quit.

From what I've seen in GW2 we are basically getting 4 races (since norn are a human varient). Honestly, none of them are the race I want to play. Charr are the only semi interesting looking race. But if one were to compile the most interesting and epic races from every mmo ever made, I'm pretty sure horned cat people would probably be last on the list (probably not on the list at all). Sure, this is a subjective opinion and example, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. And that's were I stand.

I am really impressed with everything else I'm seeing about this game, but I know if I am not interested with my character, I won't keep playing. Why don't the new mmo devs get this? A wide selection of epic and unique looking races is probably the most crucial aspect of the game. More so than anything else because people don't want to grow a toon that they can't really connect with, or don't feel it truly represents them in one way or another. I don't want to play a game that where there is nothing to choose from to create but elf variants, 3 different human variants, and/or a gnome thing, either. Maybe it's because I played horde on wow for so long that I like uglier characters, I dunno. Inb4- don't like elves and gnomes? fantasy mmo's aren't for u.
    Last edited by painweaver; 2012-07-18 at 06:47 PM. Reason: grammar

Deleted
    I like the races, subjective opinion w0000p

Every race is unique and inspired. I'm not sure how you get that the races are "elf variant, 3 human variant, gnome thing". Sure, humans are humans, and norn are (very roughly) large human vikings, but every other race is unique to the GW universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    You haven't had a chance to play around with the character customization yet, have you?
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwaarg View Post
    I like the races, subjective opinion w0000p
    This pretty much.

Also, the races were announced ages ago. What's with the argument coming up now?

Norn are what brought me to, and are keeping me with, this game.

"Yeah, well, that's like you're opinion man."

I happen to LOVE the race selection in this game, especially the Sylvari. Where else have you seen a race similar to them?

It's too bad you feel that way, for you.

Hey at least it's not this bad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    I happen to LOVE the race selection in this game, especially the Sylvari. Where else have you seen a race similar to them?
    I had a dream a couple of years ago where a tree sprouted from the top of my head and I was skipping down a hill with a crowd of people following me.

I just wanna know, how did Anet get in my head and make this race just for me??
    Valar morghulis

I agree with this man to a point. I loved the Blood Elf story from WARCRAFT 3, but I hated seeing the race implemented in WoW with such an UNWARRANTED anorexic appearance, especially since the guard NPCs and Kael'Thas had a normal Warcraft 3 build.

I wasn't impressed by the Draenei appearance either compared to their cinematic debut - HOWEVER, I liked how much effort was put in their starting zone story that they grew on me. They had character, they had consistency. I got over their appearance, unlike the Blood Elves.

I tried the wow beta and I dislike both pandaren appearance (ever since Warcraft 3) and their completely unoriginal and uninteresting story. If they had a kickass storyline to their race and a more original culture implementation (lack of China copy paste) I might had liked them too.

I'll agree that at first glance GW2 doesn't have much originality, BUT, just reading about Norn and Silvari their lore seems solid and with time invested into keeping them consistent and as original as possible. Humans are humans there's not much you can do about them unless you make them part of the Imperium of Man and turn them into Space Marines. Honestly that's the only universe where Humans are interesting.

Finally, I have NO LOVE for the Asura, but once again, if their story turns out more than Gnomes 2.0, I might love them too.

Sorry you feel that way OP. Hopefully you can find a game that appeals to you.

One thing to remember is that there are only so many things you can do on a humanoid frame. The races will all fit a archetype we have formed in our head. That is the nature of fantasy. Also remember this is a sequel. That means the creators want to use races that players who know the world will be at least somewhat familiar with.

Even WoW did this. They created races that fit certain archetypes and/or were at least some what players were familiar with from the original source material.

Also I know you said this above, but it is true that fantasy MMOs might not be the thing for you. For good or ill, fantasy pulls from character types derived mainly from Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons and mythology. You might want to take a look at some of the modern era MMOs (like Secret World) where race is not a factor, but class and skills are what sets people apart. You can also try some of the Sci-fi MMOs (such as SWs). I can not think of any of the "mainstream MMOs" that will offer you what you are looking for (maybe there is a f2p that can give you what you want). If you know an MMO with really unusual or creative racial design I am curious and would like a suggestion to take a look at (always keeping an eye out for different games to give a try).

I honestly have to ask what would you like to see for races in a fantasy MMO. This is not related to GW2, WoW, Tera, Rifts, etc. Just as a general thing, what kinds races would you like? If you don't have names for your racial creations at least some details about what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    "Yeah, well, that's like you're opinion man."

Sylvans in DAoC were tree people with bark for skin and leaves for hair. They're pretty close, but I actually like the Sylvari better.

And I like the races in GW2. They're distinct enough to clearly be from their own setting.

Eye of the beholder, imo.

I dig the races.

Especially watching Sylvari character creation videos gave me a surprised - such a unique and fun race!

10+ Year Old Account
    i really do not get the point of this thread. first calling Charr a Human variant is just...idk. then calling Sylvari an elf variant is also...idk. the Asura are Gnomes comment was just /sigh. you cannot pose a question and yet be so willfully ignorant when there is so much information on this subject on the net and on top of that what exactly did you expect us to do? petition ANet to change the races to be unique yet they are more unique than in many games out there?

your post is indeed very confusing and it almost seems as though you asked and answered your own question, you know that the races are what they are and you know you won't enjoy them so why even post in the first place, these things will not change and asking us for what seems like validation is just sad.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    Sylvans in DAoC were tree people with bark for skin and leaves for hair. They're pretty close, but I actually like the Sylvari better.

And I like the races in GW2. They're distinct enough to clearly be from their own setting.
    Ah thanks for pointing that out, I've never seen them before. You're right though, they're basically trees. Sylvari, to me at least, look like a mixture between plants and the Na'vi from Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by garraeth View Post
    Eye of the beholder, imo.

I dig the races.

Especially watching Sylvari character creation videos gave me a surprised - such a unique and fun race!
    I also found the Sylvari to be a pleasant surprise. None of the others really grabbed me. I personally don't like the look of the Asura -- but a buddy of mine is looking forward to playing them. Different strokes for different folks.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

15+ Year Old Account
    While I can understand your point, opinions are opinions really.

I actually think GW2 has the best race options out of the games I've played. Would have loved a draconian option though together with Tengu and Kodan being playable (might happen in future content).

10+ Year Old Account
    I always play humans, and humans only so I don't really care about races :P
    Mindless...