Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Humans are humans are humans are humans are humans.

It's one of the reasons the first character in any RPG (online or tabletop) I roll will always be human. Because there's no way to do human WRONG. It's not possible, and you never have Purple-People-Syndrome (Source).

That said, Norn bore me. A lot. But just how different the Charr are, the Sylvari, the Asura, I'm drawn into all of them. I like the directions each are going. Charr aren't humans with cat ears. Asura aren't Gnomes. Sylvari aren't elves. They aren't rehashes of stuff we've seen before "but different!", they each can stand on their own. And that to me, not needing another race to justify just how yours is different, is what makes all of these great.

Except Norn. I got enough "GLORY" talk from Kormac.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

just wait until they add the Kodan (the polar bear people that are like bhudist monks and live on a ice berg city temple with huge boat sails) wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/2/22/Kodan_render.jpg/300px-Kodan_render.jpg[/url]

and the tengu which are the cool tribelike bird people from gw1 wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/0/07/Tengu_fighter.jpg/150px-Tengu_fighter.jpg[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post

It's one of the reasons the first character in any RPG (online or tabletop) I roll will always be human. Because there's no way to do human WRONG. It's not possible, and you never have Purple-People-Syndrome (Source).

That said, Norn bore me. A lot. But just how different the Charr are, the Sylvari, the Asura, I'm drawn into all of them. I like the directions each are going. Charr aren't humans with cat ears. Asura aren't Gnomes. Sylvari aren't elves. They aren't rehashes of stuff we've seen before "but different!", they each can stand on their own. And that to me, not needing another race to justify just how yours is different, is what makes all of these great.

Haha! That was a worthy post. GLORIOUS!

---------- Post added 2012-07-18 at 09:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mif View Post
    asura teeth ftw! :d
    gremlins!!!
    Last edited by Morogoth; 2012-07-18 at 09:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't Tengu fill that second request?
    Maybe, but I was thinking something that has less vicious of an appearance. Have you seen the tengu in GW2? Those beaks could put an eye out.

Nu mou are a good example, but they're kinda a "midget" race at the same time, so still not quite right. As Malthurius said, Pandaren kinda fill that role.

Kodan would be a good candidate for the spiritual/sagely beast race, without sacrificing too much of their beast aspect.

---------- Post added 2012-07-18 at 05:02 PM ----------

Fully agree with this whole post. The Norn are the only race that seem to lack that special something. I think we could've done better if they'd used Kodan instead of Norn, and still kept most of the same racial identity.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-07-18 at 09:59 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Thats what im getting at. So many games follow human physique when creating races. So GW2 would have 2 non-mono's: Asura and Charr

But BE,NE, dwarves, and humans still use our physique
    Heres that famous referance on our body to get an idea of what im getting at:

Notice the face and the shape of our bodies.
    Thank god you posted that pic done by Da Vinci The vitruvian man because to be honest I had NOOOO Idea what a Human body looked liked therefor had NO idea what you were refering too. With that said the sylvari are made of lettuce. If I twist up some cabage leaves too look like a human, it doesnt make it monohuman.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    Thank god you posted that pic done by Da Vinci The vitruvian man because to be honest I had NOOOO Idea what a Human body looked liked therefor had NO idea what you were refering too. With that said the sylvari are made of lettuce. If I twist up some cabage leaves too look like a human, it doesnt make it monohuman.
    That picture has four arms and four legs. It's not a human, so it's clearly a spider.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    You're a Peacemaker?
    Sometimes, sometimes not (bookahs get their knees cut).

That picture has four arms and four legs. It's not a human, so it's clearly a spider.
    A fine replacement for my old sig.
    Last edited by nalle; 2012-07-18 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by painweaver View Post
    I won't keep playing. Why don't the new mmo devs get this?
    I guess they forgot to consult you when developing the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's final then. As long as ANet implements Space Marines and gratuitous amounts of heresy, then even people like the OP can't resist playing GW2.
    Additionally I bet all on GW3 being set 500 years in the future with Charr being the master race.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    It's final then. As long as ANet implements Space Marines and gratuitous amounts of heresy, then even people like the OP can't resist playing GW2.
    Additionally I bet all on GW3 being set 500 years in the future with Charr being the master race.
    Space Charr?

Deleted
    Oh wow, and I had trouble picking a race because they are all so awesome...ok except charr. I don't know, maybe you want to wait for TESO then. They will have 9 races from the beginning. Release 2013.

10+ Year Old Account
    What we need is a slider to control how many arms and legs. That way I could grow 6 arms and walk around like those demon goddesses that look like Vegas showgirls with their headdresses on.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    What we need is a slider to control how many arms and legs. That way I could grow 6 arms and walk around like those demon goddesses that look like Vegas showgirls with their headdresses on.
    I can not express my levels of "do not want" with that statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    Space Charr?
    Pretty much Chaos Marines?

Now if only a gaming company (preferably not THQ) could do a really good Warhammer 40k MMOFPS. I'd cream my pants. I'm so off topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    More meow for the meowmix!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i really like the races in GW2 the only 2 that are kind of normal or unoriginal are the humans and the norns (Vikings) but then.... cat-people with horns? they look cool (not my favorite :P), Azura... (Gnomes + dogs? maybe) and Plant people! they are really cool, the idea sound a little stupid but if you play a little with the character costumization you will love them!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Gonna have nightmares now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think GW2 would be a lot cooler if Hyleks were a playable race off the bat. Krait and Kodan could be added later.

I mean, who didn't like the Frogloks from EQ? Right guys?
    ...guys?
    /crickets

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I think GW2 would be a lot cooler if Hyleks were a playable race off the bat. Krait and Kodan could be added later.

I mean, who didn't like the Frogloks from EQ? Right guys?
    ...guys?
    /crickets
    * Kel chomps on said cricket

Deleted
    I still feel that the more realistic models give a better feel to the races. Nothing in WoW scares me.

But Asura scare the living christ out of me.