15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthvendor View Post
    Speaking of the Blue Jackets, I'm just hoping Bobrovsky can survive and not have it ruin his potential career. Still sad to see him go but it was the best for him (well maybe not that team but to get a better shot at starting).
    OMG Bob is on the Jackets, thats right. RIP Bob's potential. At least he is on the last year of his entry level deal (I assume he won't get two years tacked on in the CBA if they adopt the five year thing) which means Columbus will have to pay him or he can pray for an offer sheet next year.

Anisimov is the final piece of the Nash trade. Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon, and a 1st.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    You had to look at their roster to know that? I'm baffled that I can even name five of their players still post-Nash and not including a Ranger: Tyutin, Johnson, Ums, Wiz, and Mason assuming Mason is even still on that team which he shouldn't be and if not I know they are still paying Mike Commodore buyout money so that counts. They are just a bad organization on and off the ice. I can't wait until they finish dead last this year again and somehow manage to fuck up even winning the draft lottery. Again. That is how bad of an organization Columbus is.

By the way, the host city for the All Star game has exactly zero guys you can even consider borderline All Stars.
    I thought they had more depth. I made fun of the Blues for having two second lines and no first. The Jackets have 1 second line and 3 fourths. Those forwards are garbage.

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 06:51 PM ----------

Anisimov is the final piece of the Nash trade. Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon, and a 1st.
    Awww so close.

Well... The Jackets might win this trade. They got so much potential, for a player that doesn't even want to play for them.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-07-23 at 06:52 PM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Awww so close.
    So Sather wins? The return for Columbus is super meh compared to what they were asking for from teams. They still have exactly zero legitimate top 6 centers. I don't know man. This doesn't sound as good as getting Skinner alone from Carolina (they asked for Skinner and more pieces). It doesn't sound as good as getting Kreider alone. It certainly doesn't sound nearly as good as getting a package from the Wings including Franzen.

Looking forward to the incoming trade of Bobby Ryan and the signing of Semin along with potentially the Luongo trade now that Nash is done. Maybe it will all happen fast now like it was supposed to after Suter/Parise signed.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-07-23 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As of now, Sather definitely won. This is a surprisingly reasonable trade from Howson. Though the Rangers gave up so much in potential, it could be the start of an actual rebuild.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

As of now, Sather definitely won. This is a surprisingly reasonable trade from Howson. Though the Rangers gave up so much in potential, it could be the start of an actual rebuild.
    I'm sure they'll be able to get them all back for a 5th round pick and a bag of magic beans in a couple years.

But this is actually a really reasonable trade. NYR definitely comes out on top in this one, I think, which makes me wonder what Detroit offered to get hung up on. Conklin?

10+ Year Old Account
    Howson had no intentions of leaving Nash in the central. Thus didn't even take calls from Holland.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    I'm sure they'll be able to get them all back for a 5th round pick and a bag of magic beans in a couple years.

But this is actually a really reasonable trade. NYR definitely comes out on top in this one, I think, which makes me wonder what Detroit offered to get hung up on. Conklin?
    Probably just the whole in division situation exactly the same as Weber (which is why I still think he didn't even offer to take a sheet from the Red Wings because Nashville literally would have had to match it). Howson couldn't face losing the face of his franchise to a team just up the road they see all the time, the only team they have ever played in the playoffs, and really their only rival, although you would be hardpressed to find anyone who considered the Jackets their teams "rival". Its probably why Nash didn't end up in San Jose who rumor has it was dealing Pavelski in the trade, a younger player than Nash who put up better stats last year, but they wanted him and Couture.

Now we get to see if adding Nash can actually spark offense in New York. Gabby didn't. Richards didn't. Eventually they will add enough guys to be able to outscore the goal or two per game Lunqvist allows.

Ah, makes sense. I'd have rather seen him in a Wings jersey than Rangers, but as long as a talented player got out of that god-awful team, all is well with the hockey universe again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Howson had no intentions of leaving Nash in the central. Thus didn't even take calls from Holland.
    He took a call with a deal that included Filpula, probably Nyquist, and other pieces, said no and that was the end of that lol. No back and forth at all. Just an offer, a denial, and a hang up.

10+ Year Old Account
    He took a call with a deal that included Filpula, probably Nyquist, and other pieces, said no and that was the end of that lol. No back and forth at all. Just an offer, a denial, and a hang up.
    Lol. And that's why he is a terrible GM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol. And that's why he is a terrible GM.
    Speaking of bad GMs, the Rangers have $13 million in space left with nearly a full roster. The Leafs have around $9 million. Since when is Sather somehow decent at building a roster while having cap room?

Howson should be fired for that trade he made. He had better offers from other teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    He tripped and fell into it? I have no sweet clue. Waiting on the Del Zotto signing now. Will be at least 5 years and probably a 6M cap hit under Sather... or a 4.5 - 5M cap hit if Sather has actually stopped throwing money away.

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 07:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Howson should be fired for that trade he made. He had better offers from other teams.
    The most well known trade was the NY one at the deadline, when Nash wasn't "TRADE ME NOW I HATE YOUR FACE". In hindsight, yes he should of taken the trade, which apparently offered Stephan/Dub/Erixson and 2 firsts.

Though yes, Howson should be fired for somehow making a team with no top line and 3 fourths.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-07-23 at 07:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somebody call the Columbus, Ohio police because Scott Howson just got robbed!!! lol

As a Rangers fan, I will miss Anisimov. The rest I can do without.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of bad GMs, the Rangers have $13 million in space left with nearly a full roster. The Leafs have around $9 million. Since when is Sather somehow decent at building a roster while having cap room?
    Since when did the Leafs have 9 million in cap space? Signing Kulemin only put them down to 10.5 million or so, since his cap hit is around 2.3 million. Also, Komisarek or Connolly are hitting waivers by the start of the season. When Bozak kicks Connolly off the roster and Holzer beats out Komi for a job, it will be easy waiving them and clearing up 10 million in cap space.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to Capgeek you're just above 9M.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Howson should be fired regardless, but that trade. Seriously. Nash + Delisle + conditional 3rd rounder for Anisimov + Erixon + Dubinsky + 1st? Did I miss something or is this way below what he could have reasonably expected to get?

lol ridiculous. I wonder if he was thinking "ignoring the central division will help us out drastically even though we're in the same division as the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Blues, and Rinne. Best decision since I didn't trade a 2nd overall pick away for a 4th overall and a half dozen other ones." It would have been better for Rangers and Blue Jackets if he took the deal offered at the trade deadline.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2012-07-23 at 09:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait Howson also gave up a third rounder and a decent prospect? Ok... No the Jackets definitely lost.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Since when did the Leafs have 9 million in cap space? Signing Kulemin only put them down to 10.5 million or so, since his cap hit is around 2.3 million. Also, Komisarek or Connolly are hitting waivers by the start of the season. When Bozak kicks Connolly off the roster and Holzer beats out Komi for a job, it will be easy waiving them and clearing up 10 million in cap space.
    You say that as if the Leafs have the luxury of just dumping those two high salary players because their roster is so deep they can't afford to keep them around and bump them down a line. Komy has a NMC, good luck doing anything with him. Sure they can waive Connolly, but he was the 7th highest point guy on their team and is still a valuable asset. This is the last year on his deal. Depending on the terms of his NTC they would be beyond retarded to simply waive a guy like him when there are so many teams out there clamoring for center help who could use a guy on even a rental basis for his pretty friendly cap hit. They would be far better served to hold him until the trade deadline and then move him. Until then he only makes $4.75 million, they need another center anyways, and the Leafs only make about a billion dollars so the $3 million they pay him prior to the deadline is a drop in the bucket. Shit technically he is only making $4 million this year in real money so they are only looking at paying out $2.5 or less of that prior to trading him.

If they were going to waive him they already would have done it to free up money to actually use in the free agent market. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they were holding him to try and use in some sort of trade for a guy like Bobby Ryan.

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 05:15 PM ----------

Wait Howson also gave up a third rounder and a decent prospect? Ok... No the Jackets definitely lost.
    Is he decent? Hockey's Future has him as a 5.5 with D potential lol. Either way, they had to give him, or somebody, to the Rangers because the trade put them at or over the 50 contract limit.

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 05:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    lol ridiculous. I wonder if he was thinking "ignoring the central division will help us out drastically even though we're in the same division as the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Blues, and Rinne. Best decision since I didn't trade a 2nd overall pick away for a 4th overall and a half dozen other ones." It would have been better for Rangers and Blue Jackets if he took the deal offered at the trade deadline.
    That trade offer from the Islanders is still just the best thing ever. I hope Murray turns out to be Norris candidate yearly good because Reinhart is still supposed to be as good or better depending on who you believe. God Howson is bad at his job. I'm betting that there are guys out there whose only experience as a GM is in GM Mode of EA NHL games that would do a better job.