Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale View Post
    so being a badass soloing in this game is pretty much impossible?

i saw it on Steam and thought it was a tank game or something, who knew? the zombie mod sounds amazing. from reading a few replies i'm assuming vehicles are very difficult to drive or keep in good shape? and what happens to the vehicle, or someone mentioned creating their own base, when you log out?
    It's not impossible, but it's hard and you'll die a lot in the beginning, but that's what makes it fun, it's awesome when you get into situations where you solo 3-4 other people or something like that.

Vehicles are mostly difficult to find, but even that gets easier when you know where to look, driving and keeping it in good shape is easy because there's a lot of car parts in industrial areas and all the gas stations have free gas as long as you got jerry cans.
    When you log out the vehicle doesn't, and can be stolen/destroyed by anyone so you want to try and hide it.
    Same goes for setting up tents, anyone can loot them so you'll want to hide them and not store too much in one spot.

Not improved but still fun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    But that has nothing, absolutely NOTHING with what roguelikes are about. O.o

Let me educate you. Back in early 80's a game named Rogue was made. It was a turn based dungeoncrawler game based on exploration of randomly created areas to find treasures and items through increasingly more harder dungeons. It was sort of RPG game in all other respects except it didn't have story to carry it along. It was a pure dungeon crawler.

It spawned entire genre similiar to it, some of the more famous being games like Nethack and to bigger extent of famous, Dungeons of Dredmor. Its main purpose is to explore random dungeons through increasing difficulties to gain better items to be able to progress further in the turn based game and nothing else. Diablo was originally a roguelike game before Blizzard bought the company making it (Which then became Blizzard North) but it was changed from turn based to real time, spawning it's entire own genre. (One of the things remaining from Diablo's original turn based roots was the movement speed, which was equal to every single creature and player)

Being crouched and prone has NOTHING to do with roguelikes at all. The entire name and definition of genre derives from "Game like Rogue"
    he means a game in which you are roguish (dishonest or unprincipled) not that you are a rogue, and from what i can tell this game is very much roguish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapo View Post
    Totally jelly.

Is there any way to have steam overlay with Day Z when I am launching through Six Launcher? When I check the box "launch through steam" it just gives me gives me error.

Not sure about the overlay i'm afraid.

So last night I had some fun!

Went into electro. Found an axe and some meds. Went behind the firestation and heard GUNSHOTS. Saw 2 guys with a 3rd standing there. I observed them and then the 2 guys left and went into a truck and drove off. I quickly nipped down and saw the guy who was standing was dead. I looted him and moved into the station and looted what I could. I then looted some houses and the market. (about 5 dead bodies on my way there!) I then hear the truck so I nip out and duck into a side street.

I notice a zed and a dead body. I kill the zed and just looted the body when another survivor is staring at me. He has no items/guns on him I have an axe. I scared him off and then ran out of electro via the power station. Then going into the hills from electro and going north east I made my way to berezino. My two mates found a huge stash of items (8+ tents with the best guns in the game and backpacks meds food drink ammo everything even NVG) so one of us has a 50cal and the other rifle with thermal vision the other has an m4.

They gave me a set of NVG, all I had was an axe and a pistol (g17) some meds food and drinks. We run to the tent area and we spot a boat with someone in it. We move closer and decide to kill him and take his stuff AND the boat. the 50 cal nailed him. Looted him and got even more meds and some ammo. We now have a boat so moved over to the tent area and I now have an AKM (I love this rifle for some reason) with 14 mags I have multiple blood packs food all the items to make me self sufficient so I can hunt for food and drink with my water bottle. compass watch map etc.

We are now searching for some tents we can pitch our selfs and some transport. We will then move and setup our own camp. We did all of this in the black of night and NVG makes the game so much sweater to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Not sure about the overlay i'm afraid.

So last night I had some fun!

Went into electro. Found an axe and some meds. Went behind the firestation and heard GUNSHOTS. Saw 2 guys with a 3rd standing there. I observed them and then the 2 guys left and went into a truck and drove off. I quickly nipped down and saw the guy who was standing was dead. I looted him and moved into the station and looted what I could. I then looted some houses and the market. (about 5 dead bodies on my way there!) I then hear the truck so I nip out and duck into a side street.

I notice a zed and a dead body. I kill the zed and just looted the body when another survivor is staring at me. He has no items/guns on him I have an axe. I scared him off and then ran out of electro via the power station. Then going into the hills from electro and going north east I made my way to berezino. My two mates found a huge stash of items (8+ tents with the best guns in the game and backpacks meds food drink ammo everything even NVG) so one of us has a 50cal and the other rifle with thermal vision the other has an m4.

They gave me a set of NVG, all I had was an axe and a pistol (g17) some meds food and drinks. We run to the tent area and we spot a boat with someone in it. We move closer and decide to kill him and take his stuff AND the boat. the 50 cal nailed him. Looted him and got even more meds and some ammo. We now have a boat so moved over to the tent area and I now have an AKM (I love this rifle for some reason) with 14 mags I have multiple blood packs food all the items to make me self sufficient so I can hunt for food and drink with my water bottle. compass watch map etc.

We are now searching for some tents we can pitch our selfs and some transport. We will then move and setup our own camp. We did all of this in the black of night and NVG makes the game so much sweater to play.
    That's a pretty cool story! I bought it, but haven't had the chance to play yet. Unfortunately none of my friends seem up for playing, so let's see how it is on my own. Love your description though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BelziBhaal View Post
    Totally jelly.
    Nice ... Really Nice

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Is there any way to have steam overlay with Day Z when I am launching through Six Launcher? When I check the box "launch through steam" it just gives me gives me error.
    "Add a game" at the bottom of Steam's main window. Locate the six launcher executable in your program files, add that to your list. I've renamed mine as "DayZ.exe" too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    From DayZ wiki and it worked for me.

"

Open Steam.
    Click the Games menu.
    Click Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library.
    Click Browse.
    Navigate to, most likely, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta. If you are not running 64-bit Windows, remove (x86) from the path.
    Choose arma2oa.exe.
    Click Open.
    Click Add Selected Programs.
    Open your Steam Library.
    Right-click arma2oa in your games list, and choose Properties.
    Rename it from "arma2oa" to "DayZ".
    Set the Target to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" "-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca;@dayz" -nosplash If you had to modify the path in step 5, do so here as well.
    Set the Start In line to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead If you had to modify the path in step 5, do so here as well.
    Click Close.

You should now be able to run the game from within Steam using the "DayZ" shortcut."
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

First time I played Day Z, a survivor snuck up on me and gave me a fright.

I fired a warning shot but that hit him in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by maceron View Post
    First time I played Day Z, a survivor snuck up on me and gave me a fright.

I fired a warning shot but that hit him in the face.
    Technically that woudn't then be a warning shot xD

does anyone know any cough cough hacks to fast travel? i dont want to kill everyone on the server with 1 button i just want to avoid running in fields for 2 hoursto get where everyone is
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremynative View Post
    does anyone know any cough cough hacks to fast travel? i dont want to kill everyone on the server with 1 button i just want to avoid running in fields for 2 hoursto get where everyone is
    hacks are still hacks. If you hate walking get a vehicle. Or do what i do some nights sit around town, kill people. Easier then scavenging

getting this totally...!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapo View Post
    Wow nice, what did you get?

---------- Post added 2012-07-25 at 12:42 AM ----------

Sounds to me like this isn't the game for you...

10+ Year Old Account
    What you want to do is go to as many Warez sites as you can find and download all their exe's and once they're installed you'll run really fast on DayZ.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erto View Post
    Wow nice, what did you get?
    2x FAL without scopes so we left them there, 1x L85 AWS and a PP-19. not the best loot but still funny how close they were to each other.
    Today we logged back to our "home" server and found some vehicles:
    http://i.imgur.com/b0R8X.jpg

I have been watching those videos, and will be picking this up soon.