Page 1 of 46
... LastLast

Florida man kills unarmed door-to-door salesman

Please refrain from turning this into an American hate thread, this had nothing to do with the country itself, maybe the laws but not the country, and please do not stoop so low as to bringing up past massacres just to get back at someone in the thread.

This thread is derailing into nation bashing, lets keep this on the topic of the shooting and less on the topic of America, If this stays this way, I will either close this thread or contact a moderator- Thank you

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/2...QtV334E.reddit

"A man in Cape Coral, Florida on Wednesday was arrested for shooting and killing an unarmed door-to-door salesman on his property.

Kenneth Bailey Roop, 52, has been charged with second-degree murder for killing 30-year-old Nicholas Rainey.

A co-worker who witnessed the shooting said Rainey had knocked on Roop’s door, but received no answer. While Rainey was walking down the drive-way, Roop pulled up in his pickup truck and asked why Rainey was at his house. Rainey explained that he was selling steak and seafood. The witness said Roop then pulled out a black handgun and shot Rainey. As Rainey lay on the ground, Roop fired another bullet into the back of his head.

Roop later told police that he shot Rainey in the head “for effect” and that he had three no trespassing signs on his property. Roop said he feared for his life.

“I’m not going to give him the chance to do something to me,” he told police. “I was in fear.”

An off-duty Collier County sheriff’s deputy was nearby and heard the gunshots. When she arrived at Roop’s property, she found Rainey dying on the ground while Roop was in his garage reloading his handgun.

“He was telling the officer, ‘he stepped on my property, he trespassed, I’ll kill anybody that steps on my property,’ somewhere along them lines. It was just unbelievable,” one witness told the The News-Press. “She never flinched. She deserves a medal. I don’t think he was done [shooting].”

What do you think about this? did he have the right to shoot, in Florida you can kill someone if you think they'll kill you.

Please pay attention to the part stating "I feared for my life" BS! That man was walking away from the house when he shot him, and then shooting him in the head? Never has my face palm left a red mark on my face before this.
    Last edited by Aerimae; 2012-07-28 at 04:25 AM.

Going to be honest with that stand your ground law I'm sure hes going to get off these charges

Why on earth would any intelligent person walk onto property that has 3 obvious "DO NOT TRESPASS" signs in plain view? Door-to-door salesman was obviously driven by the greed of another sale versus following the law. Roop is certainly in the right here.

10+ Year Old Account
    He many have had no tresspasing signs but still. That is some bullshit right there "I was in fear for my life" come on.

But really...killing a man because he was on your property, that is very very extreme and i think he should be severely punished.

Deleted
    He should have paid attention to the no trespassing signs, but shooting him is a bit extreme...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonsurge View Post
    Why on earth would any intelligent person walk onto property that has 3 obvious "DO NOT TRESPASS" signs in plain view? Door-to-door salesman was obviously driven by the greed of another sale versus following the law. Roop is certainly in the right here.
    He's in the right to shoot to kill a salesman knocking on the door? No. That's not self defense. That's just idiotic paranoia.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this really surprise anyone anymore?

How many threads have there been of random people getting shot in florida in the last month alone.

And I don't give a fuck about the trespassing signs, call the cops if theres a violator, don't go all vigilante "hurp derp Second Amendment muuurica'!" and start shooting people because your state has some retarded law.

'Merica! Culture of honour TO THE CORE! If 'ye go 'n let people trespassn' on 'yer prop'rty like that, people mi't start gettin' ideas! And we can't have that!

10+ Year Old Account
    shooting him in the back of the head? after he was on the ground after being shot the firs time? thats a bit much
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Deleted
    So he killed an innocent man that was just trying to make a living? Can't wait to see the arguments of the smacktards who'll try to defend this asshole. Haul his ass in for a life sentence.

Is that serious... i don't see how that can even be a debate, it's retarded to shoot someone because he rang at your door, everybody has a salesman come at his door one day or another. That's why guns should be illegal..

I don't even know how this can be justified at all.

Deleted
    no trespassing sign means just that.
    Not saying that the shooter was in the right, and by all accounts he is sandwich short of a picnic, but the salesman had no business going onto property in the first place if it had signs up saying not to trespass.

there is no way he should have been shot especially if he was walking away, and there was no reason to shoot him in the head once he was down. This is in my opinion a clear case of attempted murder. Simply threatening the salesman with the gun whilst on the private property would have been enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Going to be honest with that stand your ground law I'm sure hes going to get off these charges
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonsurge View Post
    Florida's stand your ground law allows does not allow people to use deadly force unless it is to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm. An unarmed steak and seafood salesman is not an immediate threat to your life. He had the right under law to use force, but not deadly force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

If you think the guy shooting the salesman was in the right, then please go get your head checked.

I mean, yeah, the guy had "no trespassing" signs up. But for example, what if you were lost and needed help and went and knocked on the guys door? Or generally needed help? Would he shoot anyone who did that?

I think it's retarded the guy just pulled out a shot a salesman who was just doing their job. End of the day, these people need to make a living - probably never occurred to the person they was gunna end up with a head full of shotgun by knocking on this guys door.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundered70 View Post
    He many have had no tresspasing signs but still. That is some bullshit right there "I was in fear for my life" come on.
    If you own the land, and have it clearly stated that there are no trespasses allowed, you can pretty much do anything you want if someone breaks those rules. That's why he has the "NO TRESPASSING" signs.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    'Merica! Culture of honour TO THE CORE! If 'ye go 'n let people trespassn' on 'yer prop'rty like that, people mi't start gettin' ideas! And we can't have that!
    Yeah MURICA' I DUNN WANT NO DAMN PEOPLE WALKING ON MY LAWN!!! I WAS SCARED TO DEATH! HE COULD HAVE KILLED ME WITH THE LOBSTER N' D' SALMON HE WAS TRYIN' TO SELL ME

Was it right to shoot someone for trying to sell? No. Even with 3 signs, that is still a no. No trespassing means "Ill call the cops" not a right to shoot someone.

It's people like this that get the media on the guns are bad campaign, because they prove that some people shouldn't own firearms, and it will be made out that a vast majority of us that do own firearms are just as crazy as this person.

I am not going to be looking forward to this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    shooting him in the back of the head? after he was on the ground after being shot the firs time? thats a bit much
    You mean shooting him the first time wasn't?