Poll: Is there other life?

Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Do you believe there is other life in The Universe?

[Putting religion aside]

Do you believe that there is a possibility of Alien life or planets that house forests and plants? Or are we alone,
    here are some facts about the universe,
    And please bear in mind that these are of the visible Universe, we know that the Universe is probably a couple hundred times the size of the visible Universe,
    Our visible Universe is home to 100,000,000,000 galaxies,
    Each galaxy is home to around 200,000,000,000 - 400,000,000,000 stars,
    We assume that each star has around 5-15 planets orbiting it,
    In our entire known universe, if you calculate it, there are 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the visible universe, I am going to guess that in our entire universe there are upwards of 10 to the power of 100 (googol) 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0
    planets in our Universe (guessing)

Here is a small snippet of our universe

So you decide, do you think there is life in the Universe other than us? Or are we alone. I do encourage friendly debate, but if it gets out of hand the thread will be locked. I'm pretty sure that no matter what we believe, we all know how amazing our Universe is.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...ife-meteorite/
    Last edited by Aerimae; 2012-07-31 at 04:04 AM.

Religion aside, with the utter incomprehensible vastness of the universe and potential of a multiverse, it's nonsense to believe life doesn't exist elsewhere in some form.

It's a statistical inevitability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    It's a statistical inevitability.
    This. It is more unlikely to have life than not.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

It always amuses me that this forum has such a positive reaction to aliens/other life in the universe, but the second anyone mentions a ghost, it's all bullshit. So we're open to aliens billions of lightyears away, but we're not open to the possibility of alternate dimensions.

Neither have any proof right now, and yet aliens = thumbs up and ghosts = you're an idiot.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-07-31 at 03:45 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I do agree, I think that it is physically impossible for there not to be life, I think that theres actually life fairly close to Earth, http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...us-saturn-moon interesting article. And if our Universe if infinite then by knowing the basics of physics, atoms would form into so many different things that it would run out of combinations, which means that it has to form into shapes already formed, so somewhere in the Universe there is someone exactly like you, they'll think differently and most likely wont live on a planet that looks like earth (it will reform into old shapes but that doesn't mean it will form in the same place) but it will still be you, just...not you, quite interesting.

It seems highly probable that if there is life on this one planet, there is life elsewhere in this vast universe.

Life or Aliens? And if you mean Aliens do you means Aliens with space ships and mass relays and such?

It all really depends what you mean by life.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Life or Aliens? And if you mean Aliens do you means Aliens with space ships and mass relays and such?

It all really depends what you mean by life.
    Life as in a Biotic creature

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Your numbers are so, so wrong. The observable universe houses 170 billion galaxies. An average star has only a few planets, and a very big percentege of them are gas giants. The observable universe is one third of the diameter of the whole universe, and if you put in the numbers, you get that the total universe has a 40 times bigger volume than the observable. The total number of planets you get if you assume there's 5 planets around the average sun and 3x10^9 stars in a galaxy, you get about 10^23. Your estimate of a google is absurd. If anyone's wondering where exactly i pulled out these numbers, feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    It always amuses me that this forum has such a positive reaction to aliens/other life in the universe, but the second anyone mentions a ghost, it's all bullshit. So we're open to aliens billions of lightyears away, but we're not open to the possibility of alternate dimensions.

Neither have any proof right now, and yet aliens = thumbs up and ghosts = you're an idiot.
    This is a tough one :P

There is no scientific proof that ghosts do not exist because you can't prove something exists when it does not.
    A more fair and balanced answer is no because if ghosts did exist, then it would be scientifically impossible to prove their existence because they are not 3-d objects and science can only prove something actually exists by being able to prove its existence by the natural laws of physics and biological laws.
    Ghosts do not meet any of these criteria because you can't prove something does NOT exist; rather, you have to take evidence that supports and proves that some DOES exist.

15+ Year Old Account
    The universe has so many galaxies that even the fucking plot to star wars has a statistical chance to have existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Your numbers are so, so wrong. The observable universe houses 170 billion galaxies. An average star has only a few planets, and a very big percentege of them are gas giants. The observable universe is one third of the diameter of the whole universe, and if you put in the numbers, you get that the total universe has a 40 times bigger volume than the observable. The total number of planets you get if you assume there's 5 planets around the average sun and 3x10^9 stars in a galaxy, you get about 10^23. Your estimate of a google is absurd. If anyone's wondering where exactly i pulled out these numbers, feel free to ask.
    My estimate of googol was of our entire universe :P Personally I believe that our Universe is infinite, and I'm guessing that there are googol planets before there are no new ways that atoms can form and they just start recreating the same combinations from other planets.

I'd like to think so. I find it hard to believe that God put us on this earth and only us. Or if you want to look at it as the Big Bang Theory, I find it hard to believe it's just us caused from that. There has to be other stuff out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerimae View Post
    This is a tough one :P

There is no scientific proof that ghosts do not exist because you can't prove something exists when it does not.
    A more fair and balanced answer is no because if ghosts did exist, then it would be scientifically impossible to prove their existence because they are not 3-d objects and science can only prove something actually exists by being able to prove its existence by the natural laws of physics and biological laws.
    Ghosts do not meet any of these criteria because you can't prove something does NOT exist; rather, you have to take evidence that supports and proves that some DOES exist.
    And there's scientific proof that aliens exist? No, all we have are statistical predictions. And how do we know there aren't aliens out there that are what we describe as "ghosts"? We don't, both are just as proof-less right now, and yet the reaction is entirely opposite.

I attribute it to an aversion to religion in a forum of sci-fi nerds.

I'm not saying I don't think aliens are out there, but I think people who believe aliens are out there but aren't open to the possibility of ghosts are hypocrites.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-07-31 at 03:55 AM.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't call people believing in ghosts idiots, though I do think there is a better chance of life existing on a different planet than there is for the phenomenon of ghosts to exist here. We have proof of life existing on a planet already - not another planet, mind you, just ours. We don't have any proof to suggest that the dead roam the world, disturbing the living.

My biggest problem with the assertion of ghosts existing is that it requires the existence of a spiritual world, and that's not something I feel comfortable believing. I have already seen that life can exist in extreme environments, so life existing on a different planet is more believable.

You are right, though. There is as much evidence for life on Europa as there is for ghosts, so a person who believes in one without being able to back up their assertion doesn't have the grounds to insult the other for their beliefs.
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-07-31 at 03:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia

Aliens are actually plausible. You should be happy that people are open to the idea of aliens existing and not to the idea of ghosts existing on this forum, because that's exactly the same position scientists have. I'd also like to say that life isn't something that has a 10^-100 chance to happen. Chaos theory and the number of molecules on a given planet allow very easily for organic molecules to arise. And you need just 1 RNA to keep on reproducing for life to start spreading.

Oh, by the way, there is no such thing as an alternate dimension, at least not in the sense of a dimension, and if there is, it shouldn't be named like that. New dimensions don't bring about new worlds. What you are referring to is a parallel universe. And that is just absurd, if it does exist, people from one side can't cross to the other... Meh, i give up, this is so silly that i wont even bother explaining why it's impossible. I don't really care if you call me a bigot, but i seriously can't stand people who make up their own theories about things without knowing one bit about what they're talking.

Yes, I believe there is other life in the universe. It would be a very lonely place if we were the only ones here.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Aliens are actually plausible. You should be happy that people are open to the idea of aliens existing and not to the idea of ghosts existing on this forum, because that's exactly the same position scientists have. I'd also like to say that life isn't something that has a 10^-100 chance to happen. Chaos theory and the number of molecules on a given planet allow very easily for organic molecules to arise. And you need just 1 RNA to keep on reproducing for life to start spreading.

Oh, by the way, there is no such thing as an alternate dimension, at least not in the sense of a dimension, and if there is, it shouldn't be named like that. New dimensions don't bring about new worlds. What you are referring to is a parallel universe. And that is just absurd, if it does exist, people from one side can't cross to the other... Meh, i give up, this is so silly that i wont even bother explaining why it's impossible. I don't really care if you call me a bigot, but i seriously can't stand people who make up their own theories about things without knowing one bit about what they're talking.
    No, don't tell me what I'm referring to, I'm referring to dimensions we can't perceive.

As always, let's have another refresher:

And there's scientific proof that aliens exist? No, all we have are statistical predictions. And how do we know there aren't aliens out there that are what we describe as "ghosts"? We don't, both are just as proof-less right now, and yet the reaction is entirely opposite.

I attribute it to an aversion to religion in a forum of sci-fi nerds.

I'm not saying I don't think aliens are out there, but I think people who believe aliens are out there but aren't open to the possibility of ghosts are hypocrites.
    I wouldn't say they are hypocrites. I would say though they have very skewed ways of thinking. Of course there are aliens forget the possibility of dimensions that could hold our consciousness that is actually a theory that just makes you an idiots.

infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-07-31 at 11:42 AM.