2 PC builds, first time, need help.

So I've taken builds that I've read about, one is in that Marest's sample build, tweeked slightly. I'm looking to make my first build a pretty nice one. To handle all modern games on ultra settings and look great. It's my first time so advice is highly needed. If you think somethings an overkill can you explain why? Ect.

Build 1 - http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=17682471

Build 2 - http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=15771874

They're both in the 1500 range, but what I'm most worried about is buying something that I'll never really use to full potential, even if I keep it for a while.

Oh and if you could assure me as to if these parts are compatible? I don't want to get stuff that wont even work together. I'm particularly worried about motherboards not fitting in the tower with video card and coolants. When I first started this I assumed there was a standard for towers to basically be able to fit all motherboards... I'd hate to be way wrong about that.
    Last edited by coldviper18; 2012-07-31 at 05:26 AM.

One useful question to add in: Are you planning on running this stock or overclocked?

Also, 520w and 550w? Am I crazy or does that seem low?
    Last edited by xxf2dxx; 2012-07-31 at 05:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    most stocked PC ship with 200-300w range.

good choice on power supply.
    Last edited by crazymack; 2012-07-31 at 05:37 AM. Reason: add

Everything looks good, only thing im not sure about are the power supplies, since you're running some big hardware there. But someone else could probably give you a better answer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    One useful question to add in: Are you planning on running this stock or overclocked?

Also, 520w and 550w? Am I crazy or does that seem low?
    Its more then enough for this build , if you know you can run the gtx 690 perfectly with 550w .

Quote Originally Posted by crazymack View Post
    most stocked PC ship with 200-300w range.
    It has an i5 3570k with an aftermarket cooler, a SSD, a high end board and a 7970.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    Its more then enough for this build , if you know you can run the gtx 690 perfectly with 550w .
    Possible, but alas that also depends on what other components you have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the solid state drive when you also buying a disk hard drive?

I would get the 6 Gb/s hard drive if i were you since you motherboard supports 6 Gb/s SATA.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymack View Post
    Why the solid state drive when you also buying a disk hard drive?

I would get the 6 Gb/s hard drive if i were you since you motherboard supports 6 Gb/s SATA.
    SSD for windows, hard drive for storage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    It has an i5 3570k with an aftermarket cooler, a SSD, a high end board and a 7970.
    stocked = not custom systems like this one, like out of a PC manufacturing factory.

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 01:04 AM ----------

Honesty I think you can go without the SSD but thats up to you I guess. The SSD is exactly one of the things where you may never use its full potential.

But I've never had one so you should hear both sides of the story.
    Last edited by crazymack; 2012-07-31 at 06:04 AM. Reason: grammer

So I've edited one of the builds based on some of the feedback, and I think I've decided to go with this.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=15771874

no need - -
    Last edited by fatalaeon; 2012-07-31 at 06:36 AM.