Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Vertical line problem with Radeon graphics card

Hello MMO-Champions! I've had enough of this shit of a radeon card and I have no clue how to fix this shit.

Anyways, yesterday I got a new Gigabyte HD 7850 and it is really amazing, but it works pretty shit. My problem is that I after X amount of time playing video games gets a screen where there is just vertical lines all over my screen, always different colours (somewhat like this). I can still hear the sound 2-3 sec after the "crash" but I can't get my screen back, nothing is working.

So I tried to do some research and drivers could have been the problem, so since yesterday I've tried 4 different drivers (Catalyst is shit and won't tell me what is the best update and I don't know for shit either), all failing me. I've also seen that it may be a problem with overclocking but the thing is that I haven't overclocked it so I don't know how to fix this since I am not really into this kind off stuff, I can enter BIOS and stuff and change frequencys, but that place is really scary imo. so I don't want to change stuff around just like that.

I've seen that it also could have been a problem with my cooler touching any of my 4 RAMs (doubtable?)

Anyhow, I don't know how to fix this. I am willing to try anything to get this working, sending the card back to the store is on the bottom on my list with options.

Another problem I've meet is this "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" when I am trying to stream with Xsplit. This crashes my Xsplit into a white screen which I can only get rid off by exiting Xsplit and starting it up again.

So, wall of problems is posted, any cool guys out there know any solutions? As mentioned, almost willing to try anything with proper instructions.

Is your card factory overclocked?

Deleted
    Can't tell really, I doubt it. Didn't say Overclocked, OC or anything like that on the name of the product or on the specifications.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've played around with the catalyst control center at all (specifically in the Performance / Overdrive Section) Make sure Overdrive is disabled; it affected my Radeon's performance, except this started happening after 2 years, not the next day of use =\

I'm sure you've downloaded these already but these are your absolute latest drives for HD 7000 series for Radeon cards -- Windows 7 32 Bit and 64 Bit
    Make sure you've uninstalled 'CCC' from your programs in control panel before you go through with the installation.

Best of Luck

Also; another issue is if you haven't uninstalled your previous device drivers, there could be some sort of conflict there that's preventing your current card from working properly!
    Last edited by Vinho; 2012-08-03 at 02:21 AM.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    Also; another issue is if you haven't uninstalled your previous device drivers, there could be some sort of conflict there that's preventing your current card from working properly!

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think about that. Told myself before I put the card in that I should do it, still didn't. I've uninstalled them now though so I am probably gonna try it out tomorrow. Don't want to update my drivers straight away though because the version I have installed now was presumably good for streaming with Xsplit.

EDIT: I also turned off GPU booster in BIOS before making this whole thread, do you guys think that it could have been a good thing? I imagined it had something to do with hardware acceleration etc. making the card overclock itself or something like that... I have no idea, it sounded good in my ears anyways. Comments?
    Last edited by mmoc5cc54cf541; 2012-08-03 at 02:50 AM.

Tell what the temperatures of the graphics card, CPU and motherboard are just before the crash.

If the driver uninstall-reinstall does not fix it, it's 90% certainly dead card and it need to be sent back.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Sounds like the card is having issues with heat, have you tried monitoring its temperatures while running a game or other graphically strenuous activity?

Deleted
    You guys got tips on software that record logs with temperatures? Doesn't feel very good alt-tabbing between Speedfan now and then.

EDIT: Just found out that Speedfan has logs, I'll try it out and see if it crashes

EDIT2: I crashed once again recently, I got the problem with "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" once and then 5 min later I crashed with a black screen, this time instead of the vertical lines crash.

EDIT3: Got the crash again twice after installing two different sets of drivers, I also tried to lower my RAM to 1333MHz instead of 1600MHz since I also put in new RAM when I put in my graphics card.

My speedfan log says that my GPU held a steady temperature of 40-43 degrees celsius all the time, so that's not the problem either.
    Last edited by mmoc5cc54cf541; 2012-08-03 at 07:19 PM.

Sounds like a failing card or heat issue on the card. Had a friend with a 6xxx series getting the same kinda errors with the line screens and what not. Pulled out of his and put in my machine with perfectly fine working drivers and did the same thing. Took it back to best buy and did a 1 for 1 and the issue never came back.

Deleted
    Okay, so I looked up CPU Overdrive in CCC and my graphic card after auto-tune was on 3300MHz, is that normal or too high? I'd like to lower it in any way but I don't know how, I an raise it with a slider but there is no way to go lower.

Deleted
    overclocking your card to 3300 MHz anything is too high. You should look up what are your card's default clock values and set it to that. I had the same issue with hd4850, though my card just had a really bad cooler - it wasn't overclocked. The card starts heating up and when it reaches like 107°C, it automatically shuts down.

EDIT: how can you not set it less than 3300 MHz? Could you provide us with a screen shot or something?
    Last edited by mmoce67615a32e; 2012-08-03 at 09:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    overclocking your card to 3300 MHz anything is too high. You should look up what are your card's default clock values and set it to that. I had the same issue with hd4850, though my card just had a really bad cooler - it wasn't overclocked. The card starts heating up and when it reaches like 107°C, it automatically shuts down.

EDIT: how can you not set it less than 3300 MHz? Could you provide us with a screen shot or something?
    Haha, sorry for being retarded but I only had a look at the overdrive tab. But when I checked up on "CPU-Energy" I could change it easily, mistake by me. Oh me so nooby.

EDIT: I don't really know what to set it to, I got 2500MHz, 2100, and 800MHz. Can anyone check for me please?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125419
    Last edited by mmoc5cc54cf541; 2012-08-03 at 09:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Re1nForce View Post
    Haha, sorry for being retarded but I only had a look at the overdrive tab. But when I checked up on "CPU-Energy" I could change it easily, mistake by me. Oh me so nooby.

EDIT: I don't really know what to set it to, I got 2500MHz, 2100, and 800MHz. Can anyone check for me please?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125419
    Well it says "Core Clock: 975 MHz" and "Memory Clock: 1200 MHz".

Deleted
    Well it says "Core Clock: 975 MHz" and "Memory Clock: 1200 MHz".

So if I change the CPU-Energy it is... the core clock? I have no idea, but I'll try 800MHz then?!

Deleted
    So if I change the CPU-Energy it is... the core clock? I have no idea, but I'll try 800MHz then?!
    Are you not using CCC or this is something only hd7000 series cards have? Because in the AMD Overdrive menu there should be 3 sliders: one for core clock, one for memory clock, and one for fan speed. But I guess the CPU-Energy could be the core clock. Set it to 975 MHz and see what happens, if the card still overheats you should return the card or get a better fan for it.

Deleted
    Are you not using CCC or this is something only hd7000 series cards have? Because in the AMD Overdrive menu there should be 3 sliders: one for core clock, one for memory clock, and one for fan speed. But I guess the CPU-Energy could be the core clock. Set it to 975 MHz and see what happens, if the card still overheats you should return the card or get a better fan for it.

Okay, something is really strange. So I set it at 800MHz because I couldn't get 975, the ones I listed were the only alternatives for CPU-Energy and I started lagging like hell, really badly so I've raised it to 2100MHz now.

I do not have an option for those stuff you mentioned.

Deleted
    Okay, something is really strange. So I set it at 800MHz because I couldn't get 975, the ones I listed were the only alternatives for CPU-Energy and I started lagging like hell, really badly so I've raised it to 2100MHz now.

I do not have an option for those stuff you mentioned.
    Well I guess you should wait for someone with more knowledge about the subject. I was speaking merely from experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the sake of narrowing down things I would uninstall AMD CCC and drivers via add/remove programs, install this, boot windows into safemode and remove both ATI/AMD and Nvidia graphics drivers. Then reinstall the latest AMD drivers off their website.

You can read a more in-depth how to on Driver Sweeper here if you have any questions.

The screen with the vertical lines normally happens if you've set the GPU-VRAM too high.
    The standard core clock for that card is 860MHz.

Core Clock: 975MHz (Std 860)

Memory: 1,200MHz
    Your details should look something like this, (I have a different card, so it's going to be slightly different...)

Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    The screen with the vertical lines normally happens if you've set the GPU-VRAM too high.
    Yes, but its not limited to. It can be other things. To put it simply, its a BSOD but since your GPU crashed, it can't display the BSOD and instead displays the vertical lines.

My card (5770) had this issue for a loooong time till ATI came out with a proper driver that fixed it. Thats why I had him wipe all the drivers which should be done anyway when swapping card manufactures.