Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Played the stress test yesterday and ...

All I have to say is WOW! This was my first time playing GW2 and I have to say:

The game play is fluid, music is very good, the landscape is aesthetically beautiful and the features so far are awesome. Dynamic Events are probably the coolest thing I done in a video game within the past 5 years, I believe the hype. This game WILL take a dent out of the Blizzard community and ANet really got their stuff together with this game, videos and Screenshots don't do this game justice. If you haven't bought it yet then I suggest you go and purchase it right now!

Time to go do some Hall of Monuments on the old Guild Wars 1 account.

14 days. 14 days. 14 days.

I thought it was very nice in the graphics department. The questing reminded me of Warhammer PQs strung together which is a good thing since I liked Warhammer. The things I didn't like were: I never felt used to my characters movements, seems a lil clunky. I negotiated a tight stairwell up a windmill and the camera was disastrous to the point of me banging into walls and handrails. Hopefully this is Stress test related or something but my characters movement was far from fluid for my likes.

The Zoom needs to be expanded to 2x current, UI could use options to change things around for player comfort, otherwise quite enjoyable with nice character creation and graphical satisfaction

If i order now can i play beta?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy valmer View Post
    Today's stress test and future tests? Yes.

How big is the download?

Deleted
    Glad to see new people enjoying it, go over to the One thread for random GW2 discussions! =) We won't bite.

If you prebuy right.. NOW, you might have a chance to get to the Stress test later today. Pre-purchase only. And only if you can download the client before it.

There's no beta access going on at the moment.

How big is the download?
    Real big - it's a significant part of the entire game. If you start now, though, you should be set for the stress test in ~7 hours.

***EDIT*** Depending on your internet connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    How big is the download?
    ~16 GB

/10charr
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    there has never been a prolonged beta, only several beta-weekend-events about once per month. there will be no other beta before release.

there will probably be a few more stresstests who last for 4 hours each, but you might not get to play the full time as the servers are intentionally overloaded in these, which can lead to downtimes, disconnects, lags, etc.

you'd also need to pre-purchase the game (meaning you can't cancel the order to get a refund) to get into the stresstests, not just pre-order it.

that said, pre-purchasing still gives you 3 day headstart access, so if you plan on trying the game, you might as well do that now ;]

How big is the download?
    ~15gb i believe. or at least that's the size of my current game folder, the actual download might be smaller.
    Last edited by Sy; 2012-08-10 at 04:33 PM.

Deleted
    My GW2 client has 17.2GB if that helps at all. I think a fresh download would have slightly less coz they're a bit 'cleaner'.

Sahweeeeet

This games getting me excited with all the positive comments. xD

15 Gb download...

but there's no point purchasing for the beta... considering it's very rare, 4h stress tests on odd schedules...

Pre-purchase if you like\want the game, and you'll get the 3 day head start. No point doing it for the betas.

I just hope their performance issues are actually getting solved on some gfx boards. The Geforce 500 series have been having issues :|

Quote Originally Posted by Awake709 View Post
    All I have to say is WOW! This was my first time playing GW2 and I have to say:

The game play is fluid, music is very good, the landscape is aesthetically beautiful and the features so far are awesome. Dynamic Events are probably the coolest thing I done in a video game within the past 5 years, I believe the hype. This game WILL take a dent out of the Blizzard community and ANet really got their stuff together with this game, videos and Screenshots don't do this game justice. If you haven't bought it yet then I suggest you go and purchase it right now!

Time to go do some Hall of Monuments on the old Guild Wars 1 account.

14 days. 14 days. 14 days.
    I agree with you, I never believed in wow killers and I still don't but I think gw2 will seriously damage wow subscriptions, I tried the stress test and was running with 86-125 fps all the time on as high quality as possible at this time, no lag at all and the fighting was very smooth, it's just incredible how smooth it can be during a stress test lol.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sahweeeeet

This games getting me excited with all the positive comments. xD
    Hooray!
    Welcome to the gw2 community guys!

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    15 Gb download...

but there's no point purchasing for the beta... considering it's very rare, 4h stress tests on odd schedules...

Pre-purchase if you like\want the game, and you'll get the 3 day head start. No point doing it for the betas.

I just hope their performance issues are actually getting solved on some gfx boards. The Geforce 500 series have been having issues :|
    I got gtx 570 and the game was running smooth for me so I want to recommend you checking your setup, drivers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    I agree with you, I never believed in wow killers and I still don't but I think gw2 will seriously damage wow subscriptions, I tried the stress test and was running with 86-125 fps all the time on as high quality as possible at this time, no lag at all and the fighting was very smooth, it's just incredible how smooth it can be during a stress test lol.
    i seen some vids on gw2 and the player seems to lag quite abit when there are lots of players on the screen even with their fast pcs. Maybe its normal though, so many players.

GTX 560 Ti here and it runs smooth as silk.

I think the lack of raids in GW2 is appealing to me, to be honest. The idea of joining a guild in any other game and HAVING to log on at a certain time on different days, whereas you schedule them...just made me sad. Personally the idea of just being able to play for 30 minutes, an hour, or the entire day and have fun within that time span and not have to worry about 9 or 24 other people regarding how geared I am...is happiness on a bun. I mean, the idea of GW2 seems to present casual ideas, but has so much room for hardcore players that it's a great system. I think in that sense, it'll suit a lot of people's playstyles (mine included) whereas some days I want to do a lot, a little, or nothing at all...and now, there's no falling behind. I'm sure there will be some form of gear checks in dungeons and certain events, but generally I think the overall appeal of the game rests in some part on the idea of skill and less of a grind (unless you want to look sick nasty).

GW2 won't kill WoW, but it might just bring world peace...

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    i seen some vids on gw2 and the player seems to lag quite abit when there are lots of players on the screen even with their fast pcs. Maybe its normal though, so many players.
    Or it could very well be that this is a stress test specifically to test how well the servers do when overloaded.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Or it could very well be that this is a stress test specifically to test how well the servers do when overloaded.
    There were also a couple of cases in BWE2, I believe, where there was some faulty code that was exposed by a couple of players or something... I can't remember exactly WHAT happened but it causes the servers to essentially lock up for about 45 minutes until a fix was installed.
    Last edited by vicious796; 2012-08-10 at 04:50 PM. Reason: grammar