Thread: Spending IP?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Spending IP?

I'm currently level 10 and I'm trying to save my IP up for runes when I hit 20 (I've seen they're really expensive) so far I've only bought one champion (yi) and I plan on saving till 20 or buying cheap champions so I can try the 'draft pick' game mode.

What do you spend your IP on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Should literally just save all your IP till your level 30. In draft mode keep finding your character until you find the one that you seem to really grasp and can perform well on and enjoy playing. At that point it is really only worth buying that champion, and the ideal runes for them. You can experiment with different roles until level 30 as well, and maybe have a couple hundred normal games under your belt before going into ranked, by then you should have gained enough IP to buy a champ that can cover each role and the corresponding runes for those roles as well so you can be ready for whatever you need to do in a ranked game.

Don't you need to buy champions to keep trying new ones in draft mode though? I've still not really grasped the whole role thing, I've only really played Yi, tried a few others and really didn't like them as much as I did Yi

Deleted
    I spent all my IP on champions till I got to lvl 25 or something and I started to save for jungle/ad/bruiser runes. I still havent got ap runes but they shouldnt be really expensive to get as I plan only getting AP marks, MS quints and rest is armor/MR.

I usually buy tier 1 runes until I hit level 20. (Skip tier 2 because they are too expensive), then I buy any champ I want to play whenever I have enough ip, though I rarely buy the 6300 ip ones. Having a lot of champions means more variety to my game. You don't need to buy all the tier 3 runes you need at level 20, since you won't have unlocked all the slots, I'd just stick to filling out the red and quints with bonus ad for last hitting better.

Don't buy any runes yet. I bought mine at 30 when I was pretty comfortable with who I played in draft pick which is slightly more serious and matters a bit more than blind pick like you do now. Buy champions. Play ones you're interested in during free weeks. I hate to break it to you, but yi may be fun. But he isn't exactly "good". There are far better champs than him with far more utility in team fights etc. You'll learn about roles and the meta when you start draft pick. I didn't know anything about it till I played a good 5-10 games in draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    Don't buy any runes yet. I bought mine at 30 when I was pretty comfortable with who I played in draft pick which is slightly more serious and matters a bit more than blind pick like you do now. Buy champions. Play ones you're interested in during free weeks. I hate to break it to you, but yi may be fun. But he isn't exactly "good". There are far better champs than him with far more utility in team fights etc. You'll learn about roles and the meta when you start draft pick. I didn't know anything about it till I played a good 5-10 games in draft pick.
    So I should just keep buying champs until I find one that glues to me? And what's this meta thing your on about ^^'?

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    So I should just keep buying champs until I find one that glues to me? And what's this meta thing your on about ^^'?
    you can buy tier 3 runes at 20, do that for typical pages AP page/AD page/Support-tank page. Them 3 should have you set. Then start buying runes for champions who require "exotic" runes

So I should save for runes first?

So I should save for runes first?
    Imo treat yourself to champions whenever you feel like, hell, its all about fun afterall. But dont buy runes till tier 3

Deleted
    Tbh you do just fine with ad/ap pages only difference between them being Magic penetration marks and ad penetrations marks & ad and ap quints. So just get MR/level, flat armor and ad/ap marks and you can play pretty much every champ with them. Quints are up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
    Tbh you do just fine with ad/ap pages only difference between them being Magic penetration marks and ad penetrations marks & ad and ap quints. So just get MR/level, flat armor and ad/ap marks and you can play pretty much every champ with them. Quints are up to you.
    To be honest that was all gibberish to me ^^'''

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    Just follow this pic http://media-titanium.cursecdn.com/a.../runeguide.png
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

Deleted
    Both runepages share magic resist per level runes (some prefer flat magic resist for ap, but mr/level works fine for both pages) and flat armor runes.

So only difference between these two runepages is that one of them has ad marks and other one has ap marks and different quintessences, for example flat ad quints for ad runepage and flat ap runes for ap runepage.

Sorry if I was being unclear.

If you never buy any champs till you fill out your runepages you're going to get bored pretty fast, and have an excess amount of IP by the time you hit 20, trust me

I spent all my ip from levels 1-11 then started to save from 11-20 and had enough, but this all depends on how often you are winning and how many daily bonus wins you get over the course of that time

Deleted
    Ive just dinged 30, and i had enought IP for 1.5 runepages. But i used IP&XP boosts to level somewhat more quickly starting from level 27

Save your IP, buy champions. Chances are runes won't make a difference at all until you get serious, learn some more advanced parts of the game and find more champions you like besides yi. I didn't get runes till I was very familiar with the meta game basics and had found myself at least 5 champs I was very comfortable with.

You asked what the meta is, to put it simply. The meta is a match setup followed by most (9/10) matches in draft pick and ranked. The setup consists of someone who is mid, generally an ability power ranged champ. A top champ, generally a melee who is good at pushing, usually a bruiser/tank, generally melee attack dmg. A jungler, simple as that. A bottom lane which consists of an adc (attack dmg carry), this person is someone who you want to get fed on kills who will "carry" your team in team fights. Dealing crazy amounts of dmg with auto attacks. The bottom lane also has a support, usually a healer or a tank like soraka or blitz. They support your adc and help them get kills. They help the team in team fights mid/late game. They don't go after kills at all.

That is the meta, but it really isn't important if you're just playing blind pick. When you go into draft, thats when runes should start to matter, by then you should be comfortable with quite a few champs. In draft pick, champions are banned, 3 per team. Don't worry about the meta, or runes for a while. You should learn a lot more champs before you even consider runes. For all you know, you'll hate yi in a few days and if u bought runes for him, those'll possibly be a total waste. Try all the roles to see what you like best.

10+ Year Old Account
    If u find a champion u like buy it. getting used to playing a champ will make u better thenn the few runes will.

If at the moment u don't have a specific champ u want go for the runes and keep trying the champs in the free week rotation till u do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant View Post
    If u find a champion u like buy it. getting used to playing a champ will make u better thenn the few runes will.
    A full Runepage can give me - let's say as AD carry - the equivalent of:

One and a half longsword (+15 dmg), or a 622,5 gold equivalent
    Two/thirds of a cloth armour (12 armour), or a 200 gold equivalent
    Half a Null-Magic mantle (+12 MR), or a 200 gold equivalent

If you do not use runes, I'll have a 1k gold lead over you before you even pull even. With that advantage, I will most likely not let you pull even.