10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    YES, i love playing games and getting super lucky and doing crazy things.
    lol i prefer it because a lot of people try to predict fights all the time and they can't predict a fight when even you don't know what's going to happen during it xD
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    lol i prefer it because a lot of people try to predict fights all the time and they can't predict a fight when even you don't know what's going to happen during it xD
    Very true, it's funny though my friend was playing a mesmer too and had the signet that gives you random boons, he refused to turn it off and kept getting swiftness on the jumping puzzles we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    How much damage is a 5-stack? Going by the formula on the wiki it doesn't seem like all that much. =O
    Assuming 1500 condition damage, ~900 damage.

Did anyone else test focus with reflect trait?

My warden seemed to be able to reflect projectiles but my curtain did not. I tested it against the elementalist npc and a ranger player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Did anyone else test focus with reflect trait?

My warden seemed to be able to reflect projectiles but my curtain did not. I tested it against the elementalist npc and a ranger player.
    Warden ALWAYS reflects projectiles, so that trait seems broken if it doesn't work on the curtain.... Btw, that elem doesn't use any projectile attacks, lightning whip isn't a projectile
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Hello hello dear mesmers, would someone look at this build? Specially the runes&jewels, I just picked one and stack that. >_>

Here is the picture about traits & stats to give fast idea what build is trying to do:

I'm still a bit biased how good mesmer will be at PvE. I'm mainly concerned about the fact that I lose illusions every time mob dies. At the times I think that "it will be all right, I just need to learn shatter faster" or "it will be better when I go to higher level areas and mobs live a bit longer".

Any experiences about mesmers in dungeon? How was it? Are my worries vain?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    Hello hello dear mesmers, would someone look at this build? Specially the runes&jewels, I just picked one and stack that. >_>

Here is the picture about traits & stats to give fast idea what build is trying to do:

I'm still a bit biased how good mesmer will be at PvE. I'm mainly concerned about the fact that I lose illusions every time mob dies. At the times I think that "it will be all right, I just need to learn shatter faster" or "it will be better when I go to higher level areas and mobs live a bit longer".

Any experiences about mesmers in dungeon? How was it? Are my worries vain?
    Ok can't look at build for another 30 or so min (at work on phone) but your stats look good, you got defense and offense (smart man/woman) your traits look pretty nice from how I see them... Will get a better idea when I can look at the actual spread...

As for your fears they are indeed in vein, against tougher mobs there is 0 worry, it's against the trashy 4 shot wonder mobs that mesmers are bad against because their measly health pool causes them to die before your illusions get up which are your primary defense anyway, which is why mes has so many problems early in. Now I didn't PLAY a Mesmer in a dungeon but I was grouped with 2, 1 never died ever, and was beasting it up with illusions an trickery and the such (they had scepter focus and greatsword NO IDEA on build though... The other one I swear to god was a trained chimpanzee and died every fight ever.... By the time we got to second boss they were naked due to lack of working gear... All in all though I think mesmers really well off survivability wise if you know how to work your magic, otherwise you better get used to running...

There is really no reason to use offhand sword.

Watched the phantasm damage video. Offhand sword phantasm is garbage damage compared to iduliest and iwarden. Torch is weak because it applies confusion.

Iduelist doing 2k-3k per shot. Offhand sword does 4k every 6 seconds with trait. Iwarden is better then all of them because it stand stills though.

So useless block and useless phantasm woot....

10+ Year Old Account
    A "useless" block that turns into a Daze. Never discount Daze, especially since Mesmers can trait Dazes to have extra effects!

I also think we shouldn't bother to judge numbers until we get to live. Balance tweaking happens so much on their internal builds that trying to decide on a meta from build to build is just worthless.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

A "useless" block that turns into a Daze. Never discount Daze, especially since Mesmers can trait Dazes to have extra effects!
    The new change, you can not activate the secondary effects yourself anymore. It's an added effect if the initial effect does not work. So if you don't block anything it'll do the daze.

Secondly offhand sword offers no niche compared to the others. Pistol has a ranged phantasm and stun/daze/blind, Torch has a confusion phantasm and a cloak, focus has a reflect phantasm and a slow/pull after it expires.

Offhand sword? A melee phantasm you can easily dodge and has a run time (he has to run to your target) and does less damage then any other phantasm and a block which guarantee won't block the attack you want since combat is so fast it's hard to predict when to use it and not waste it, not to mention pistol has more control over that than this block and main hand swords blurred frenzy offers more surv then that on a lower cd.

If block blocked everything for 2 seconds it would be useful, currently it's not. There isn't a silver lining right now. IMO scrap offhand sword and gives us the 1h MH weapon we actually need (we don't need 4 offhands with just 2 mainhands). The only 1h is scepter which is clone factory with its damage split between conditions and power and a melee weapon.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-11 at 09:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new change, you can not activate the secondary effects yourself anymore. It's an added effect if the initial effect does not work. So if you don't block anything it'll do the daze.

Secondly offhand sword offers no niche compared to the others. Pistol has a ranged phantasm and stun/daze/blind, Torch has a confusion phantasm and a cloak, focus has a reflect phantasm and a slow/pull after it expires.

Offhand sword? A melee phantasm you can easily dodge and has a run time (he has to run to your target) and does less damage then any other phantasm and a block which guarantee won't block the attack you want since combat is so fast it's hard to predict when to use it and not waste it, not to mention pistol has more control over that than this block and main hand swords blurred frenzy offers more surv then that on a lower cd.

If block blocked everything for 2 seconds it would be useful, currently it's not. There isn't a silver lining right now. IMO scrap offhand sword and gives us the 1h MH weapon we actually need (we don't need 4 offhands with just 2 mainhands). The only 1h is scepter which is clone factory with its damage split between conditions and power and a melee weapon.
    OMG, zito for christs sake stop your constant bitching about things that aren't bad... 1) you're lucky you have a block at all, no other caster has that ONLY the martial profs and mes have that, and NONE of the blocks (other then ones with a shield minus the eng #5 skill) actually block more then one attack before doing the effect. 2) the riposte is purely defensive, it's not "Hey i'm going to use this as a defensive/offensive skill" like the ranger throwing their great sword for a cripple or the eng throwing their shield, it's more like with the warrior or guardian where it's "hey, either waste one of your attacks or you're going to regret it!" sort of a block. 3) the phantasam isn't bad, he has a leap for christs sakes, i know, the fucker jumped me when i was using whirling defense, went through a fire field causing me to get burned, and then leaped through a smoke field on his retreat gaining another one so i couldn't even kill it off without eating a burn. You could combine that with an etheral field for chaos armor, or a poison for weakness etc etc.

Just because YOU can't manage to use a weapon or build properly doesn't mean it's bad/broken, and for the love of god stop saying confusion is bad, you're spreading misinformation EVERYWHERE, i did just fine with using confusion as a primary source of damage with my scepter and that wasn't even the goal of my build.

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    SNIP
    Ok, i looked through your build... i'm not 100% sure what your condition damage is... or what your goal with the build is... are you trying to deal lots of damage with conditions? Or do you just want to do larger direct damage with conditions to support it? I'm not entirerly sure what to do with your runes until i know more... personally i'm not a fan of the runes you chose (that's just me i like the special effects others give, not that those runes are bad).

OMG, zito for christs sake stop your constant bitching about things that aren't bad... 1) you're lucky you have a block at all, no other caster has that ONLY the martial profs and mes have that, and NONE of the blocks (other then ones with a shield minus the eng #5 skill) actually block more then one attack before doing the effect. 2) the riposte is purely defensive, it's not "Hey i'm going to use this as a defensive/offensive skill" like the ranger throwing their great sword for a cripple or the eng throwing their shield, it's more like with the warrior or guardian where it's "hey, either waste one of your attacks or you're going to regret it!" sort of a block. 3) the phantasam isn't bad, he has a leap for christs sakes, i know, the fucker jumped me when i was using whirling defense, went through a fire field causing me to get burned, and then leaped through a smoke field on his retreat gaining another one so i couldn't even kill it off without eating a burn. You could combine that with an etheral field for chaos armor, or a poison for weakness etc etc.

Just because YOU can't manage to use a weapon or build properly doesn't mean it's bad/broken, and for the love of god stop saying confusion is bad, you're spreading misinformation EVERYWHERE, i did just fine with using confusion as a primary source of damage with my scepter and that wasn't even the goal of my build.
    Block in general is pretty bad and other casters have things to survive better then block. You might wanna actually ya know try it out more and compare it to other offhands/abilities that generally give more survivability and I know ripitose is defensive, you didn't see my point.

Other classes block btw has something more to it, rangers get a knockback engineers shield actually last 2 second duration and blocks everything for the duration their 2nd block does a knockback. We get a clone which isn't a whole lot outside shatters and a cloak.

If the clones did an added effect I would be very happy, a knockback or an automatic swap place with X clone or even if the clone cloaks you to confuse the enemy.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-11 at 11:23 PM.

Block in general is pretty bad and other casters have things to survive better then block. You might wanna actually ya know try it out more and compare it to other offhands/abilities that generally give more survivability and I know ripitose is defensive, you didn't see my point.

Other classes block btw has something more to it, rangers get a knockback engineers shield actually last 2 second duration and blocks everything for the duration. We get a clone which isn't a whole lot outside shatters and a cloak.
    Block can be really useful when used at the right moment, it can easily turn the battle in your favor when you block the right skill and it's actually an extra dodge with a little something extra added to it.

Anyone have some links to compendiums / builds? I'd love to do some more reading on different build styles for PvE and sPvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Gildarts View Post
    Block can be really useful when used at the right moment, it can easily turn the battle in your favor when you block the right skill and it's actually an extra dodge with a little something extra added to it.
    Though to block 1 attack it is extremely hard to time it just right to block the attack you want to block (even worse in PvP) and not just a simple attack1 and granted mostly everyone's elses block do something great to counter this (except for warriors and mesmer).

10+ Year Old Account
    Though to block 1 attack it is extremely hard to time it just right to block the attack you want to block (even worse in PvP) and not just a simple attack1 and granted mostly everyone's elses block do something great to counter this (except for warriors and mesmer).
    Example: You could block the Guardian Hammer #4.

Smart usage of blocks will require you to have accurate timing like that anyways, or else people will recognize "Oh, he's blocking, I'm going to wait until he's not." The most skilled players in PvP will be the ones who can recognize the skills every enemy they run into is using, and will be able to react accordingly.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
    Anyone have some links to compendiums / builds? I'd love to do some more reading on different build styles for PvE and sPvP.
    Here are some very nice guides about all the profs for spvp for you:

mesmer
    Guardian
    ranger
    Thief

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Example: You could block the Guardian Hammer #4.

Smart usage of blocks will require you to have accurate timing like that anyways, or else people will recognize "Oh, he's blocking, I'm going to wait until he's not."
    The animation for that is a quick 1 second, to get a block off in time for that and not accidentally block a useless attack that can come from another player or mob is low. It's not accurate timing when animations are that fast, its just luck.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Block

List of all the blocks. Tell me warriors and mesmer are not shafted? (warriors have one good block)
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-11 at 11:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The animation for that is a quick 1 second
    Point? You have to have quick reflexes to survive in this game. Luck can be a part of it, but quick reflexes and a quick-thinking mind is going to be what gives you the edge. You might note in the following video that he successfully dodges such a skill simply through recognizing the animation.

Point? You have to have quick reflexes to survive in this game. Luck can be a part of it, but quick reflexes and a quick-thinking mind is going to be what gives you the edge. You might note in the following video that he successfully dodges such a skill simply through recognizing the animation.
    Point taken. Then lets turn all blocks that have great secondary effects into mesmer/warrior ones that only block 1 attack. Fair no?