Page 1 of 265
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Football Season 2012/2013

This is a complete moderator hijack of the OP. Do not adjust your PC monitors.

This thread is being extended to cover all discussion for the 2012/2013 Football* season. While the focus will most likely be around the English Premier League, English cup competitions and the European Champions' League; all national leagues, cups and international competitions (including international qualifiers for 2014) are welcome for discussion here.

We have a couple of in house leagues this season, one for EPL score prediction and another for Fantasy football.

http://predictthescore.net/ Code is: 18263957 (Credit and thanks to Larath for setting this up.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/ Code is: 424409-272821 (Credit and thanks to Uggz for setting this up.

If you have any queries or need help, PM them.

Furthermore, as well as the general sports forum rules there are a few extra notes I'd like to make out for this thread. While I hope everyone can enjoy posting here, I'd like to set out what is and isn't going to be tolerated. People will disagree with each other, and discussion will rise up, but there are levels of posting that are unnecessary and the less we get of that the better.

1: Banter is acceptable as long as it's kept in good nature and not set out to insult, provoke or harass any other member of this board. Good humoured ribbing is part of the fan culture of football and it's something I'd like to keep here without it getting out of hand. If you are unsure whether or not what you are about to post will cross the line of decency then err on the side of caution.

2: When referring to teams, players, managers, referees, officials etc keep your posts clear of excessive vulgar language. While emotions can and do run high, this is not a right to verbally abuse others. While they may not post here, others who may feel very different to you will. If you can't convey your opinion without resorting to a tirade of abuse please don't post it.

3: FIFA, UEFA, individual national Football Associations are not in anyone's back pocket. Unless you have any evidence that proves otherwise keep such accusations out of this thread, it brings nothing but arguments.

4: There are certain tragedies in football's history that you do not bring up to "get one over" someone else. Jokes about these events are also strictly forbidden.

Here's a few prediction ideas to start everyone off (You're welcome to also add your own for different leagues, or various ideas you have for oddball predictions!)

1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL:
    2. Champs League winner:
    3. PFA Player of the year:
    4. Writers player of the year:
    5. Top Premiership Scorer:
    6. Best transfer:
    7. Biggest transfer flop:
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL:

While I obviously can't wish you all the best of luck, just the United supporters, I hope everyone can have fun and enjoy the next 9 months!

Fengore

*This is Association Football. NFL discussion can be found here. Anyone who wants to start a discussion thread for Rugby Football, Gaellic Football, Aussie Rules Football etc is welcome to.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2012-08-17 at 06:01 PM.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I rather play www.predictthescore.net cause it takes less time for me personally and I just want the score predicting, feel free to join me in it!

for this season hmm, I'd say City to win it again

1. City
    2. Chelsea
    3. United
    4. Arsenal
    5. Newcastle
    6. Liverpool
    7. Tottenham

Top Scorer

23 RvP
    21 Rooney
    20 Agüero

Relegation.

Wigan
    Southampton
    Reading

I know united is probably gonna beat arsenal but I think chelsea has done some amazing signings and the heart wants arsenal to beat united :P

So I started a Mini-League for Predictthescore.Net and the League code to join is 18263957, no idea if there is a limited amount of players or anything but first in gets in I guess :P
    Last edited by Larath; 2012-08-16 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Changed united and arsenal, with the loss of RVP arsenal won't beat united
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

Deleted
    And as I was about to make the thread I did this. Huzzah!
    But seriously, Chelsea look awful in the community shield ATM, if they play like this in th league they'll get no where near Champions League.

10+ Year Old Account
    You buggers, I was going to make this thread, been chatting with Devourer about it on PM's. Said I was going to work on something this week once the Olympics is over.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Make it a general football 12/13 season thread, not everyone likes the premiership remember and we all need a place to vent spleen on footballing matters!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    You buggers, I was going to make this thread, been chatting with Devourer about it on PM's. Said I was going to work on something this week once the Olympics is over.
    Feel free to edit my original post or lock this and start a new one, i don't mind .
    Anyway Chelsea did seem bad, maybe with Oscar and Marin they will look better. Not impressed by Hazzard at all, hope he continues to stink. Arsenal vs Koln in a few mins, eager to see the new signings in action.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Deleted
    1. Man United
    2. Man City
    3. Arsenal

My top 3, I think Chelsea will struggle Di Matteo isn't good enough to win games week in week out and they have new players that need to settle in to a new style of play. I'm going for United to win it because we was close last year and the addition of Kagawa and Vidic being back plus probably another 2 signings there's no reason why we cant challenge for the title.

Man United 4th Larath what the hell, more chance of winning the euro millions than that happening xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting pretty excited, now I just need to find a site to watch it on because Sky is too expensive.

My top 7:
    1. City
    2. Man U
    3. Chelsea
    4. Arsenal
    5. Newcastle
    6. Spurs
    7. Everton

I've not been impressed with some of the big signings I've seen this summer. Rafael was not great for Brazil in the Olympics and he has a bad temper and a big ego. I'm sure Sir Alex will sort him out in a couple of months but he was a mess in the final. Oscar could be good for Chelsea and is the reason I've put them in third. If Torres and Oscar play well then Chelsea have the best strike force in the league. Podolski and Van Persie could also be interesting, but for me Torres at his best with Oscar is more exciting. As for The Toon, the summer has been slightly disappointing with the Debuchy saga going wrong but I still think 5th is a realistic finish. If we manage to snag Debuchy 4th is possible.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 04:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Make it a general football 12/13 season thread, not everyone likes the premiership remember and we all need a place to vent spleen on footballing matters!
    But then we get the idiots moaning about soccer and american football.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelk View Post
    But then we get the idiots moaning about soccer and american football.
    And they get infracted.

Personally, I'm more content to make this a general football 12/13 season thread. Considering the last one covered multiple leagues, Europe and Cup competitions in the end. However I'd like to lay down some ground rules as well. I'll be editing your OP in the coming days Miro.

City fan here so sorry for being a bit biased.

TOP 4:
    -City
    -Chelsea
    -United (I can see top 3 being very very close)
    -Arsenal

I enjoyed the community shield. City are looking sharp. Hazard didnt impress me too much. Savic still looks weak for us, definitely getting sent off if he stayed on for the second half. I hope he has a much better season, to be honest Kolo Toure should be ahead of him in the pecking order.
    Tevez looking very fresh and dangerous, amazing goal. Disappointed in Pantillimon, his one big weakness is always spilling the ball, I really like the guy as a keeper and a person (he came to my town Limerick for Limerick V City and signed a lot of stuff for people and was very nice) but he needs to imrpove his catching skills and hold onto the ball if he is to do well in the FA Cup and what not.

Chelsea looked a bit tired but im sure they will hit their stride soon. Torres still doesnt look as good as he did when he played for Liverpool as least now he will probably get a lot of games and I am sure he will suprise us all.

I have been saying all summer Chelsea will be the ones to watch, they made some strong signings and I like the manager. Gonna have to be careful around them and United this season!

Looking forward now to a cracking good season Good luck to all the teams! I hope City can retain the title and do well in the Champions League.
    - I participated in the Legendary 22/02/11 EU internet Crash thread, also known as "The day EU trolled Blizzard" -

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    So for the "international" football thing.

Bayern München finally beat dortmund in the german supercup or whatever it is, their CS basically.

Juventus beat Napoli 4-2 in their version of the same.

And for predictions!

Italy

1. Juventus
    2. Milan
    3. Napoli
    4. Udinese
    5. Inter
    6. Roma
    7. Lazio

Top Scorers

18 Antonio Di Natale
    17 Edison Cavani
    15 Pazzini

Relegation

no clue tbh :P

La Liga

1. Real Madrid
    2. Barcelona
    3. Valencia
    4. Sevilla
    5. Atletico de Madrid
    6. Athletic Bilbao
    7. Malaga

Top Scorers

36 Cristiano Ronaldo
    34 Lionel Messi
    18 Roberto Soldado

Relegation

No clue tbh.

Bundesliga

1. Bayern München
    2. Borussia Dortmund
    3. Schalke 04
    4. Bayern Leverkusen
    5. Werder Bremen
    6. Borussia Mönchengladbach
    7. Wolfsburg

Top Scorer

26 Klaas-Jan Huntelaar
    23 Mario Gomez
    20 Robert Lewandowski

Relegation

still no clue :<

Ligue 1

1. PSG
    2. Montpellier
    3. Lille
    4. Bordeaux
    5. Lyon
    6. Marseille

Top Scorer

23 Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    18 Lisandro Lopez

I could go further and do more leagues but I'm not really intressted in them, these I've said here I atleast watch on a regular enough basis.

I joined your league on that site Larath nice and easy to use,

Top 6 :-

1. Man utd
    2. Man city
    3. Tottenham
    4. Arsenal
    5. Liverpool
    6. Chelsea

1. Man Utd
    2. Arsenal
    3. City
    4. Chelsa

Top scorer:
    Rooney

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna be highly optimistic!

1.Arsenal
    2.City
    3.United
    4.Liverpool
    5.Chelsea
    6.Newcastle
    7.Totnem

If RVP stays, and it looks more like he will, and with the returning of Jack (if he doesn't break something else by October) we will have an excellent team, and a lot of depth. Hoping for 1 or 2 more signings before the end of this transfer window.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    I'm gonna be highly optimistic!

1.Arsenal
    2.City
    3.United
    4.Liverpool
    5.Chelsea
    6.Newcastle
    7.Totnem

If RVP stays, and it looks more like he will, and with the returning of Jack (if he doesn't break something else by October) we will have an excellent team, and a lot of depth. Hoping for 1 or 2 more signings before the end of this transfer window.
    Arsenal 1st?

1. City
    2. United
    3. Chelsea
    4. Arsenal
    5. Newcastle
    6. Spurs
    7. Liverpool

Relegation for Reading, Norwich and Swansea

Top Scorers:

25 Fernando Torres
    25 Sergio Aguero
    23 Rooney

Capital One Cup? Newcastle

FA Cup? Chelsea.

Champions League? Real Madrid OR Juventus

As a Chelsea fan I would be very happy with 3rd place and the F.A Cup along with the FIFA World Club Cup.
    Last edited by Tommy T; 2012-08-13 at 10:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    F.A Cup along with the FIFA World Club Cup.
    It's possible to play in both now?

Deleted
    Larath you think Messi / Ronaldo will only score 34/36 goals? They'd have to get an injury to go that low ^^
    Also: when does UEFA's financial fair play kick in? Because Chelsea, PSG and possibly City are screwed currently.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggz View Post
    Larath you think Messi / Ronaldo will only score 34/36 goals? They'd have to get an injury to go that low ^^
    Also: when does UEFA's financial fair play kick in? Because Chelsea, PSG and possibly City are screwed currently.
    I think its a "low" number, its more of hope for the league in general tbh, and I think messi won't score above 40, ronaldo might but I think barcelona is gonna lose more due to missing Pep and Xavi being older and not getting as much rest, I really don't see all the youngsters they put out as "super talents" as they seem to do themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggz View Post
    The FFP rules start int 2014/2015 season. For more info http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/...-enforce-it-on

As for my prediction, i believe Arsenal made major progres this summer and if we keep RVP (which seems like it), then we have a fair shot at the title.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The top of the table is hard to call imo but random guesses here.

1. City
    2. Arsenal
    3. United
    4. Chelsea
    5. Liverpool
    6. Spurs
    7. Newcastle

Lol at Arsenal 2nd

Bottom 3

Norwich
    West Ham
    Wigan