Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Did anyone else experience taken names for *really* unique names?

I just wanted to ask openly if anyone else had a situation where one or more of their usual character names that are typically *never* taken or are unique enough that you never have to deal with that issue...actually ran in to the taken name error.

My two names are very unique and I can't remember a time I've ever run in to taken names but I had to make up two brand new names because *both* were taken and it caught me by absolute surprise.

I'm aware that the possibilities are completely normal that this can just happen...but it's just not the trend.
    Last edited by Zipzo; 2012-08-13 at 03:18 AM.

The names are on 1 global database, instead of each server being separate. If someone takes a name nobody on any other server can take it.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yikes, I didn't know that grandpab... I sure do hope no one takes my name >_>

I'm only married to one name that I really really REALLY don't want to give up.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    The names are on 1 global database, instead of each server being separate. If someone takes a name nobody on any other server can take it.
    In all honesty, I wish they would find a way around this. Just because we're able to guest to other servers, does not mean my name can't be "Drake of Crystal Desert" while I'm guested elsewhere, or something like that, right?

I can't count the number of times on my Druid that I ran into an enemy using the same name, while doing BGs.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    In all honesty, I wish they would find a way around this. Just because we're able to guest to other servers, does not mean my name can't be "Drake of Crystal Desert" while I'm guested elsewhere, or something like that, right?

I can't count the number of times on my Druid that I ran into an enemy using the same name, while doing BGs.
    Delias Grimreign Of Sea of Sorrows
    Totally not a mouthful at all. Considering your 5 letter name already pushes it past the intended 19 letter limit that I'm sure is there for some reason. And this is assuming that titles are below your character name as oppose to attached to them, which would make it significantly longer.

Also, just having guesting is likely not the whole reason names are global. EVERYTHING is global. Trading post, PvE, PvP, WvW, mail..

I for one really like this, gives people a notion of better uniqueness. And people should be more creative of their names, if the "famous" ones are taken it isn't too hard to create a cool one.

The only thing that really worries me about that is: What if some or alot of people get problems (a la D3) on headstart/launch and cannot log into the game and loose their preferred names. Hell, how much noise would that do? xD

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

Its the way GW1 was as well. If it was not for the need for a way to set WvW teams I wonder if Anet would have even bothered with normal MMO servers at all or opted for one big megaserver with extra instances of zones spawned as needed.

Personaly I'v never had my primary screen name already in use pretty much anywhere. There were one or two folks that showed up on wow armory that copied my name years after the fact. In fact I just did a quick armory search and only two of the hits for Merendel isnt some alt I rolled on another server at some point and all are low level besides my old main.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I for one really like this, gives people a notion of better uniqueness. And people should be more creative of their names, if the "famous" ones are taken it isn't too hard to create a cool one.

The only thing that really worries me about that is: What if some or alot of people get problems (a la D3) on headstart/launch and cannot log into the game and loose their preferred names. Hell, how much noise would that do? xD
    Yep fair point, i can just see it now, I have fave names and such but tbh if it gets taken well bad luck, i have a few up my sleeve so should be good I like the whole 1 name and that is it also, i mean how are you going to stand out if you and 2000 other people have the same name

I like this idea! So that when I become a famous WvWvW leader everyone will know my name and I won't get confused with some scrub who just bought the game today! I also have no issues about my name being taken because if someone else took it... its very, very unique!

Names from GW1 are already taken too......so that limits some of the "really" unique already.

I like it because it makes you unique. While you may miss out on a name...it's not too hard to think of another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Names from GW1 are already taken too......so that limits some of the "really" unique already.

I like it because it makes you unique. While you may miss out on a name...it's not too hard to think of another one.
    I'd classify some of the ones in GW1 as "Special" not unique... and I mean that in a special Olympics sort of way. I've seen plenty that made me want to facepalm and ask why anybody would want to be called that.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    I'd classify some of the ones in GW1 as "Special" not unique... and I mean that in a special Olympics sort of way. I've seen plenty that made me want to facepalm and ask why anybody would want to be called that.
    Wasn't talking about those one's specifically...just copying how OP put it.............but...
    Oh God.............
    I I Z N I N J A.

Yh.....ur not.
    if only I was in charge on naming conventions........hate names like that. I would wield a really mean naming conventions hammer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Wasn't talking about those one's specifically...just copying how OP put it.............but...
    Oh God.............
    I I Z N I N J A.

Yh.....ur not.
    if only I was in charge on naming conventions........hate names like that. I would wield a really mean naming conventions hammer.
    Sounds good to me, i'd hold them down for you

I'm insanely picky with names. It's to the point that I don't even talk to people if they have a stupid name.

And so far, my name has been free, and four variations of it, so I'm mostly set. I'll have to log on quickly on the 25th to make sure it's mine, busy or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know, I'm the only one that ever uses my name so... not an issue with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

One thing I really will hate on gw2 is the amount of bad names. Specially if you can come up with the xxNaruto Rasenganxx kind. I do enjoy the system of unique names but to think of it, it might encourage people to "try" their "fav" name anyways, by the usage of variation upfront and in the end. Damn I hate this XD

10+ Year Old Account

Unfortunately, your theory falls flat on its face. If someone tries to name their character 'bigdaddy', and it's taken, that's how you end up with things like 'biggdadie', 'biggdaaddy' and so on. Name's taken? Fuck originality, I'll just misspell it. People will get the point.

I really hate people who do that, by the way. I still have nightmares of Vanilla WoW, being in IF and seeing, no shit, SEVEN different spellings of 'Legolas' in the freaking auction house. And not all of them were night elf hunters, either >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was unable to get Zivilyn Bane on my thief. This are make me sad.

One thing I really will hate on gw2 is the amount of bad names. Specially if you can come up with the xxNaruto Rasenganxx kind. I do enjoy the system of unique names but to think of it, it might encourage people to "try" their "fav" name anyways, by the usage of variation upfront and in the end. Damn I hate this XD
    I'm gonna kill over when I meet a ranger called xL3go1asx

Edit: endersblade beat me to it. God I hate the name Legolas now

Quote Originally Posted by Gisei View Post
    I'm insanely picky with names. It's to the point that I don't even talk to people if they have a stupid name.

And so far, my name has been free, and four variations of it, so I'm mostly set. I'll have to log on quickly on the 25th to make sure it's mine, busy or not.
    xXxSephirothSasukeGoku1337xXx says hello
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.