Thread: Field of view

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    Hmmm cant really contribute but I wasn't aware of this, the videos on OP were educational at least. Never suffered from these symptoms, curious as to why it affects some people and not others.
    There hasn't been any particular study on this outside of military applications, so it's hard to explain the exact why it happens to some and not others. However I can link you this little thing from angelpress which explains why it is a thing:
    http://angelsharks.wordpress.com/201...-guild-wars-2/

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Do admit, I'd like a larger FoV. Maybe I'm mixing up different terms, but one of the things I always did in WoW, on every character, was type in the special console command to increase the maximum camera distance beyond what the default slider allowed.
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but maybe you should take a look at the OP. By now, mixing up different terms should have been completely avoided at this point in the thread...
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2012-08-14 at 07:04 PM.

Do admit, I'd like a larger FoV. Maybe I'm mixing up different terms, but one of the things I always did in WoW, on every character, was type in the special console command to increase the maximum camera distance beyond what the default slider allowed.

Made things so much better, since I could see more.

Until then, I'll need to spend my very first Toyota paychecks on getting two more monitors. I've always wanted a multiple-monitor setup anyways.
    If I understand correctly this has nothing to do with where the camera is at. The camera placement doesn't change it just has a wider angle. You see more stuff on the side.

You are right that putting the camera farther allow you to see more stuff obviously (by a different method), but I'm not sure it would fix the motion sickness they are experiencing.

Does it really matter when you have a full view of 360* around your character and can zoom out further than you can even shoot?

A bit of info on motion sickness in other video games (I hope this isn't considered off-topic?): Portal/Portal 2 also give motion sickness to a lot of people (just search "Portal" on Youtube if you don't know what the game is about), and Valve (the developers) even removed a feature during the development process of the game because too many playtesters experienced motion sickness. The feature giving trouble was a certain type of goo/paint that allowed you to walk on walls/ceilings, regardless of gravity.

---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Azidonis View Post
    Does it really matter when you have a full view of 360* around your character and can zoom out further than you can even shoot?
    Read the OP. Also, the max camera distance is still much lower than what many players are used to and would like to use.

10+ Year Old Account
    but I'm not sure it would fix the motion sickness they are experiencing.
    Likely would. One of the posts earlier in this thread (yes, I've been lurking, so I know what the OP states, and still don't really think I see the difference) mentioned that part of the reason for motion sickness is how close you are to your character and the way you perceive motion.

I used to get the same experience when I'd read while in a moving vehicle, though maybe that's somewhat different.
    Wolfenstein 3D, I remember, was a major culprit for motion sickness, back in the day.

In regards to FoV: I'm pretty sure what most of you are talking about are increasing the angle of the camera - like if you switch to a wide-angle lens on your actual real-world camera. FoV is not specifically restricted to the camera's angle, however.

I personally think they should just increase the camera distance, because I'm almost positive that a wider camera angle would not address the motion sickness issues that people are dealing with.

Motion sickness or kinetosis, also known as travel sickness, is a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement.
    Basically, in video games, what's happening is the camera motions in the game are fooling your brain into believing that you are moving, but it cannot physically sense the movement.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-14 at 07:11 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but maybe you should take a look at the OP. By now, mixing up different terms should have been completely avoided at this point in the thread...
    If I understand correctly this has nothing to do with where the camera is at. The camera placement doesn't change it just has a wider angle. You see more stuff on the side.

You are right that putting the camera farther allow you to see more stuff obviously (by a different method), but I'm not sure it would fix the motion sickness they are experiencing.
    That is absolutely correct. It's about increasing your side vision, not moving the camera further away from your character.

---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 09:12 PM ----------

Likely would. One of the posts earlier in this thread (yes, I've been lurking, so I know what the OP states, and still don't really think I see the difference) mentioned that part of the reason for motion sickness is how close you are to your character and the way you perceive motion.

I used to get the same experience when I'd read while in a moving vehicle, though maybe that's somewhat different.
    Wolfenstein 3D, I remember, was a major culprit for motion sickness, back in the day.
    It really depends on the person. I could not handle more than half an hour before the need to throw up manifested itself. However there are different severity of the symptoms, some only get very mild headaches, some not even that. And others still have only a mild sense of claustrophobia while they play and never get any physical illness from it.
    It varies from person to person.
    And for some simply moving the camera back, and Zooming out further, helps. It does however not help for me. I actually had to put myself on a timer come beta weekend 2 to make sure I got my eyes off the game every 20 minutes for about 10 minutes or so. So that severely put a damper on my enjoyment of this otherwise beautiful game.

I personally think they should just increase the camera distance, because I'm almost positive that a wider camera angle would not address the motion sickness issues that people are dealing with.
    Motion sickness or kinetosis, also known as travel sickness, is a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement.
    Actually, I somewhat agree with you here. Increased FoV would solve some people's issues, but there are other camera issues too that cause this annoying disconnect between character/camera and player. Most notably the camera delay and smoothing. Increasing max camera distance would probably help a bit too. I think it's not just a single large issue, but a collection of small issues (and of course for those who don't notice anything strange, it isn't an issue at all).

10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh... I seriously don't get what camera "delay" people are talking about. I've spent a large amount of time playing with the camera in betas and stress tests, and though I noticed that the camera would zoom in and then back out so that it would circle around my character faster, it only moved horizontally/vertically specifically when my mouse told it to.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I cant test it right now, but if I remember correctly, when you strafe your character is decentered for a second, then the camera recenter around it. It doesn't bother me at all but I agree it may feel a bit weird to some people.

Sigh... I seriously don't get what camera "delay" people are talking about. I've spent a large amount of time playing with the camera in betas and stress tests, and though I noticed that the camera would zoom in and then back out so that it would circle around my character faster, it only moved horizontally/vertically specifically when my mouse told it to.
    I don't think we should spam this thread with a back-and-forth of "It exists!", "No it doesn't!" like in that other camera thread from earlier. Some people seem to notice it (and didn't in other games), so the issue seems to be real enough for GW2 to be adressed properly. If you don't notice/it doesn't happen on your PC, that's cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant test it right now, but if I remember correctly, when you strafe your character is decentered for a second, then the camera recenter around it. It doesn't bother me at all but I agree it may feel a bit weird to some people.
    O_o

Never noticed that. Sounds more like the animation of your character than camera/character moving independently.

O_o

Never noticed that. Sounds more like the animation of your character than camera/character moving independently.
    After reviewing my recorded session (http://www.twitch.tv/rezoacken/b/328038415) I don't really see it (it was just a maybe since I said it wasn't bothering me in the slightest), so I'm not sure what they are experiencing really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    I don't think we should spam this thread with a back-and-forth of "It exists!", "No it doesn't!" like in that other camera thread from earlier. Some people seem to notice it (and didn't in other games), so the issue seems to be real enough for GW2 to be adressed properly. If you don't notice/it doesn't happen on your PC, that's cool.
    I'm just convinced that it's a matter of settings, whether it's game settings or PC settings or even a limitation caused by poor optimization.

I'm just convinced that it's a matter of settings, whether it's game settings or PC settings or even a limitation caused by poor optimization.
    It's a settings issue alright. Or rather the lack of one. Namely the lack of the FoV slider setting. And no I don't mean to sound rude at all, just a bit tired of defending the need for a FoV slider... :-\

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    It's a settings issue alright. Or rather the lack of one. Namely the lack of the FoV slider setting. And no I don't mean to sound rude at all, just a bit tired of defending the need for a FoV slider... :-\
    You shouldn't have to defend your point. As far as I'm concerned, an FoV slider is a necessity in both third and first person video games and every game that doesn't have one is going to suffer for it.

People are just saying you don't need it because they don't understand the physical elements of field of view involving camera movements and seem to think that field of view means amount you can see on the screen.

Fact of the matter is - And this is objective, there is no 'I disagree' - low FoV makes some people feel unwell and it's very easy for the developers to add the ability to increase FoV on wider monitors without causing peripheral distortion. There should be no argument what so ever, because if you're arguing against it, then as far as I'm concerned you're being very selfish and you'd soon change your mind if you were in this situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely unrelated to what I was responding to.

Completely unrelated to what I was responding to.
    You are saying you are convinced it's a setting available atm, something we can somehow tweak as the game is now, which isn't the case.

You are saying you are convinced it's a setting available atm, something we can somehow tweak as the game is now, which isn't the case.
    Gotta take what he was saying in context. Drake was, at that time, discussing the other issues people have with the camera, not FoV. Of course, that's off topic for this thread, but...context matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Apologies for any misquoted then. Been a long day :-P