Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    selling runs and doing it 4x a week on alts.
    And people complain about other games being pay2win. Heh!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    I would argue that is the worst part. Based on everything I've seen, read, and played in beta, there is far too much mindless spamming in the game. Groups don't matter at all. Yes you are playing 'with people' in DE and world bosses, but for all practical purposes you are solo because there is zero need to interact with those players.
    If you want to do explorable mode dungeons, you're going to need a tight group of well-coordinated players. Guess you missed that part in the beta ;-)
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    And people complain about other games being pay2win. Heh!
    .. selling runs for gold is not what pay to win means. Like, at all. Ever. o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    The funny thing is that selling runs for gold is just as close to being pay2win as anything in GW2 or LoL is. Because, after all, you can buy gold in WoW with real money, right? Even legitimately now, through little trade-able pets, right? That logic is solid, right?!
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-16 at 09:05 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    The funny thing is that selling runs for gold is just as close to being pay2win as anything in GW2 or LoL is. Because, after all, you can buy gold in WoW with real money, right? Even legitimately now, through little trade-able pets, right? That logic is solid, right?!
    More solid than the other arguments.

How is LoL pay 2 win anyway? 'Oh crap that skin is REALLY intimidating. GG, surrender guys.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Tradeable pets and TCG mounts.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    More solid than the other arguments.

How is LoL pay 2 win anyway? 'Oh crap that skin is REALLY intimidating. GG, surrender guys.'
    The sluttier the outfit the more likely the opponents will be afking
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    If that's the case, how much do I have to pay for naked Garen?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you think so many people play the slutty Ahri/Kat/Nidalee/Eve/Caitlyn/etc outfits?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    If that's the case, how much do I have to pay for naked Garen?
    Screw naked Garen, what about naked Veigar?

I always did wonder what's under that little yordle's robes. He's probably just an oppressed oompa loompa or something that's taken a dark side (I'm ignoring the fact he actually has lore)

And I was mainly referring to silly shit like Brolaf and Gentleman Cho'gath

This is incredibly off-topic.
    Last edited by mmoc64a56cce3c; 2012-08-16 at 09:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you think so many people play the slutty Ahri/Kat/Nidalee/Eve/Caitlyn/etc outfits?
    Oh I know. I find it funny that the outfits I would buy for them are actually the ones that aren't slutty; they just look amazing and bring a different style to the character.

And yes, this is really off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Screw naked Garen, what about naked Veigar?

I always did wonder what's under that little yordle's robes. He's probably just an oppressed oompa loompa or something that's taken a dark side (I'm ignoring the fact he actually has lore)

And I was mainly referring to silly shit like Brolaf and Gentleman Cho'gath

This is incredibly off-topic.
    According to a quick google search, that's.. that's a thing.

Deleted
    According to a quick google search, that's.. that's a thing.
    Go search 'Urf The Manatee'

Go on.

---------- Post added 2012-08-16 at 10:26 PM ----------

Let's not even get back on topic, the original topic is stupid, overdone and far too negative!

That's the best part about not having raid content. Completely serious.

Having to lead and coordinate a group of people is just a serious pain in the ass and a ridiculous amount of work for a game. I guess if you want to do that, you can go do WvWvW and become a squad commander, but I highly doubt that will be nearly as taxing as having to lead, organize, and maintain a 30-man raid roster that requires a specific number of tank/dps/healer roles.
    It depends on whether you're talking about progression raiding or casual raiding. If you aren't doing progression, the primary (if not only) obstacle to raiding are the weekly lockouts, which pretty much force each raid member to commit to a raid and a raid to be dependent on their members' attendance. You then also need extra players to compensate for absences, which means that there'll always be someone sitting out.

Without weekly lockouts (and a different mechanic to pace loot acquisition), it wouldn't be too difficult to organize raids of up to 15 players or so, because joining a raid wouldn't be such a commitment.

Obviously, progression raiding adds further complications to the mix, as do bigger raids, but for raiding as such, lockouts are the primary organizational obstacle.

You are absolutely right, and so is Drake in a way.

Technically speaking:
    -You can spend real money in the Blizzard store to buy certain things. (such as a pet)
    -These certain things can be sold to other players ingame, for gold.
    -Gold in woW can buy you, essentially everything. From BoE gear (both crafted and dropped in raids) to services of being boosted through PvE or PvP content. And get a gear advantage that way.

And in WoW gear = power. Power that can be used in PvP aswell. Ergo, pay to win. Maybe not as direct as some games, that dont go through the various steps. But its completely possible nonetheless.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2012-08-16 at 09:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xkungx View Post
    i feel you, should be fun leveling.. i like it at least, but nowdays level to 80 is useless, end content is 99% with current level thats 85s, people usually farm mounts/achievements of previous raids but thats all...
    I think you made a wrong turn. These are not the WoW forums.

I think you made a wrong turn. These are not the WoW forums.
    youre right my bad...

i deleted my post. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyschaSleddog View Post
    Goal-less Wars 2?

snip
    Of course you have a goal, your goal is to defeat the Elder Dragons. Only, at level 1 you can't realistically call that a goal, it is more like a dream. You start as a local hero, helping out around your home city, sorting out issues with your own people, then you wander farther into new lands, you discover new people, you fight new foes, you learn more about the Elder Dragons but they're still completely out of your reach. During each step of your journey, the Dragons are your motivation, your drive, but they're not always part of your everyday life. Well Guild Wars 2 is about that everyday life, the unexpectedness of it, the characters living around you, the issues, the friendships and all the different situations you find yourself into. Levels in GW2 are insignificant, they're a pacing device intended to gate players through different areas. As such, you really have to abandon the idea that anything before level 80 is only there to lead you to that situation, that is absolutely wrong in GW2, a game where you can get all the way from level 1 to level 80 without making a single step outside of your capital city of choice.

All in all, yes there are goals in GW2, but unlike other MMOs, you don't need to be max level to start working towards these goals. You will level WHILE working towards your goals, without actively thinking about it. You're a PvE/Lore guy? Your goal is to advance your personal story, go to Orr, fight Zhaitan, complete all the explorable modes of every dungeon, leveling is a side-effect to doing these activities. You're a PvP guy ? Your goal is to achieve top ranks and be ahead of the meta-game, leveling is irrelevant. You're a WvW guy ? Your goal is to lead battles, take keeps, cut-off enemy supply, and you'll level while you do it. You're a crafter ? Your goal is to max out all professions, discover all the recipes, control the trading post and make exotic armor, leveling is again something that happens naturally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    Of course you have a goal, your goal is to defeat the Elder Dragons. Only, at level 1 you can't realistically call that a goal, it is more like a dream. You start as a local hero, helping out around your home city, sorting out issues with your own people, then you wander farther into new lands, you discover new people, you fight new foes, you learn more about the Elder Dragons but they're still completely out of your reach. During each step of your journey, the Dragons are your motivation, your drive, but they're not always part of your everyday life. Well Guild Wars 2 is about that everyday life, the unexpectedness of it, the characters living around you, the issues, the friendships and all the different situations you find yourself into. Levels in GW2 are insignificant, they're a pacing device intended to gate players through different areas. As such, you really have to abandon the idea that anything before level 80 is only there to lead you to that situation, that is absolutely wrong in GW2, a game where you can get all the way from level 1 to level 80 without making a single step outside of your capital city of choice.

All in all, yes there are goals in GW2, but unlike other MMOs, you don't need to be max level to start working towards these goals. You will level WHILE working towards your goals, without actively thinking about it. You're a PvE/Lore guy? Your goal is to advance your personal story, go to Orr, fight Zhaitan, complete all the explorable modes of every dungeon, leveling is a side-effect to doing these activities. You're a PvP guy ? Your goal is to achieve top ranks and be ahead of the meta-game, leveling is irrelevant. You're a WvW guy ? Your goal is to lead battles, take keeps, cut-off enemy supply, and you'll level while you do it. You're a crafter ? Your goal is to max out all professions, discover all the recipes, control the trading post and make exotic armor, leveling is again something that happens naturally.
    If I could upvote a post....
    Brilliantly and simply stated. Thanks Drunkenbeard.
    Valar morghulis

People spend too much time worrying about max level. In GW2, the entire game is fun, from 1-80+. So why level to 80? Because the process leveling is fun. Oh, and yes, AT level 80 you get 8 dungeons with multiple paths, completing every map, achievements, and excellent PvP and WvW.

Even if you hit 80 and drop the game, you probably got 100+ hours of fun for your $60, and the servers will remain available to you forever, if you want to jump back in later.