Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    I read somewhere, not sure where, that names were globally unique, like if you get any name on any server no one else can get it on any other server. Anyone know if this is true or not?
    100% true.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Sort of off topic, but if I wanted the name "Legolas" and it was already taken, could I name my character "Legolas Firebreath" or something like that? So in other words does having a single word name (Legolas) block two word names (Legolas Firebreath) from being created?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    Sort of off topic, but if I wanted the name "Legolas" and it was already taken, could I name my character "Legolas Firebreath" or something like that?
    Yes. /10charr
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Sort of off topic, but if I wanted the name "Legolas" and it was already taken, could I name my character "Legolas Firebreath" or something like that? So in other words does having a single word name (Legolas) block two word names (Legolas Firebreath) from being created?
    As much as I would advise you wouldn't choose either of those names, I don't think it would. You could still theoretically have the name 'Legolas' with a custom surname, I think. If not, that could cause a lot of problems.

Yes to the first question, no to the second. Names (as in, the full 19 character string) are unique on a full-name basis, not partial basis.

Of course, that's ignoring the other naming rules, preventing certain names from being used.
    Last edited by rhandric; 2012-08-16 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Thanks everyone. And I wouldn't ever use those names... lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I only have two names I hope to get. A single name for a Sylvari; which will not be my main so I will just breeze through to try and grab it quickly. And a double name for my main character which will be human; a name I've RP'd with for a very long time now.

Is it Shaman Tank?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Can a character's appearance be changed post-creation?

Quote Originally Posted by Gisei View Post
    Can a character's appearance be changed post-creation?
    There is a barber shop but I'm not sure how much it allows you to change your look. It's also really expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a list of single names(for asura) and double names, 16 all up.. if any of those are taken, My asura will be punting a Sylvari to Azeroth... (we maybe small but don't let that make you think we are not Fierce ) GRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    asura/sylvari - single word

human - maybe double

since asura and sylvari don't have last names
    I'm planning for a one-word name for my Asura, but if I cannot get it I will create the charater with the prefix Krewemember or Reseacher - as in Krewmember Oola.

There is a barber shop but I'm not sure how much it allows you to change your look. It's also really expensive.
    You found one? OMGWHERE?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I have feeling he meant Rift, as that is expensive the more you do, as for GW2 I Cannot find any info anywhere about one/it being ingame. /shrug

I suspect getting your first choice single name is going to be near impossible. Better to just get used to having surnames.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirantha View Post
    I'm planning for a one-word name for my Asura, but if I cannot get it I will create the charater with the prefix Krewemember or Reseacher - as in Krewmember Oola.
    That's not so bad actualy, i too want a single word name but if i can't using a title in front of my name wouldn't be so bad.

Charr could go both ways, but going by lore the charr appear to use their warband as a second name/title. eg - Finick Bloodclaw, Khevatu Shardtooth, Bhemhati Ravenclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    It was in Divinity's Reach, near a tailoring trainer. Think it was on the south side of the center garden.

I was headed to the center when they called for everyone to overload Divinity's Reach. Wish I had spent more time with it but I was on a mission.

Thought process went like this:

"Hey, a barber pole icon on my map, let's check it out. Hey, a barbershop! OMG that's like twice as much money as I have! Forget that."

It was in Divinity's Reach, near a tailoring trainer. Think it was on the south side of the center garden.

I was headed to the center when they called for everyone to overload Divinity's Reach. Wish I had spent more time with it but I was on a mission.

Thought process went like this:

"Hey, a barber pole icon on my map, let's check it out. Hey, a barbershop! OMG that's like twice as much money as I have! Forget that."
    Single greatest piece of news in weeks!

The naming process, simplified:

1) Do you want to adhere to legitimate RP naming conventions?

No - Good for you, enjoy your time in Tyria, Xx Lollerpwn Master Xx

Yes - Proceed to question 2.

2) What race are you?

Asura - likely 1 word, unless you want to throw in a title, self-appointed or otherwise (i.e. "<name> The Genius," "Golemancer <name>," or "Krewe Leader <name>"). Male names are usually 1 syllable, female names tend to end in a vowel.

Charr - 2 words, the second name is either some word of your choosing (i.e. "Brimstone" or "the Unflinching"... because it sounds cool), or is generally two parts, one indicates your warband, the second is of your choosing (i.e. "Fierceshot"... all of Pyre's warband uses "fierce-" to indicate their warband, and "shot" is indicative of Pyre's Ranger-ness).

Human - can be 1, but more likely 2 names, and names are actually rather specific depending on where your character originates from (Ascalon/Kryta/Cantha/Elona).

Norn - like Humans, can be 1 but are likely to have 2 names. You also have a bit more freedom than a Human does, the second name can be reflective of your character - something descriptive, some feat of strength ("the Strong" ... "the Drunk" maybe? lol), something that just sounds cool and/or is named after an animal ("Whitebear"). You also have characters whose surnames reflect a great ancestor (i.e. "Stegalkin"... kin of Stegal. No one can forget Olaf Olfason, either). TBH you can't go wrong with a good, solid, single word name of Norse origin.

Sylvari - should really be 1 name, but hell, you're a Sylvari, do what you want and it'll be acceptable.

In terms of getting a name that "sounds right," you can really just do a google search and see the basis for naming, i.e. Elonian names have Egyptian/Arabic/Farsi inspiration, Krytan are more Greek/Roman/Hebrew, I think Ree Soesbee said Sylvari have a basis in Welsh/Gaelic.

This is a pretty good resource if you don't have a first name selected:
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    Depends on race for me. Asura and sylvari single word names, human, charr and norn double names.
    I'll be following this rules: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...ing-resources/
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-08-17 at 03:12 PM.