View Poll Results: Did you like the cinematic?

Voters
2480. This poll is closed
  • Yes

1,987 80.12%
  • No

493 19.88%
Page 41 of 67 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I for one loved the trailer, including the pandaren and yes, because it had 'one' slightly humorous part everyone screams that "PANDA MADE IT SUCK HURR DURR", but I respectfully disagree and will allow these people to have their opinions. However I also find this to be narrow-minded, with no offence meant. There is a somewhat subtle sub-text here if you take into account that:

A. The trailer is narrated by Chen Stormstout.
    B. The human and orc are fighting in a mysterious place and neither of them wants to die, so they figure against this powerful foe they stand a chance of surviving by WORKING TOGETHER.
    C. Chen knows both the orcs and humans and what they're about, having fought with Rexxar against Kul Tiras, so he knows why they're fighting each other.
    D. He asks if there is a better question for fighting. So why not see if a human and orc can change their reason, if only temporarily.
    E. Chen is testing them. Clearly he is much older, stronger and more experienced than some random orc and human sailors so of course he can easily defeat them.
    F. Remember, the pandaren in question is CHEN STORMSTOUT.

I have some more reasons but I fear I might start repeating myself so I'll leave it at 6 points. Ignoring Kung-Fu Panda, and kung-fu movies in general, I found the cinematic both entertaining, very well animated (especially Chen, fur like that is HARD to animate), a little funny, and it inspired feelings of curiosity about Pandaria (which is one of the main reasons WHY we're going there. Pandaria is nothing but a legend to the Alliance and Horde, you don't want the whole backstory told in 3 minutes).
    Last edited by Kgmck177; 2012-08-16 at 09:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Honestly, not really. It was very comedic and not particularly stunning, to me. Cata's trailer had me jumping in my seat. This one had me laughing.
    How did this make you laugh? O.o

---------- Post added 2012-08-16 at 02:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    How did this make you laugh? O.o
    The only one part that was kinda funny when the alliance gave the horde the stick.

Meh, was cool but liked others better, kinda obvious they were trying pretty hard to sell the pandas to the playerbase.

Fantastic! Better than Cataclysm.

the trailer was garbage. it was a joke. it looked like something the B-team made, because the B-team actually did make it. it reaffirmed my decision to play gw2, or fuck, anything, besides wow

you can't say the expansion is about war, then make a joke out of the trailer like that. just more of the same from the sellouts left at blizz. i guess bobby kotick told them what to do and they did it...again.
    Last edited by blizzardsoldoutin2009; 2012-08-16 at 09:22 PM.

Totally agree with the ranking above.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like all the jaded haters in this thread who somehow think that humour and light heartedness are childish concepts. Grim lives you must live.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XingoJenkins View Post
    Yes. The move isn't continuous like real life kung fu moves. Look when the Pandaren fixes the "statue" (or something like that), the animation isn't "real", has been made in a "cartoonish" style. Watch Madagascar and try to see these animations. You'll understand what I mean.

Let's clarify one thing: I'm not agaisnt pandaren showing up (something expectable and necessary) neither his Kung Fu moves. I'm against making funny animations of a Pandaren and making the whole opening a big joke (i.e. horde and ally looks). If the fight continues like the beginning with a kung fu pandaren and more realistic moves than Looney Tunes moves, maybe it would be much better .

I feel exactly same way,
    I'm not against Pandarens (hell, I'm going to roll one on day 1), I like new WoW features like LFR, pet battles etc, I'm not hater of MoP, but this cinematic doeasnt feel like it was made for this game, even models of human and orc, are very cartoony, oversized arms, stupid jaw dropping faces, etc. Also it feels just really random, some fight, without a vibe, without building a climax. Last 2 had very good narration coming with video, you were hearing Arthas father speaking of him like he used to be, and in the meantime we watch him raising undead army, that was epic. All previous cinemtacis really hyped me for playing WoW, buying new Xpack, and this one didnt, not because I was bad, but because it wasnt made for game, it wasn't screaming "World of Warcraft" like older used to.
    It would be good movie trailer, but doesnt fit WoW.
    I'm quite sad there's so many likes, for me it's so plain visible, and I was hoping there's more people who feel that way.
    Last edited by mmoca01e16f76d; 2012-08-16 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blizzardsoldoutin2009 View Post
    the trailer was garbage. it was a joke. it looked like something the B-team made, because the B-team actually did make it. it reaffirmed my decision to play gw2, or fuck, anything, besides wow

you can't say the expansion is about war, then make a joke out of the trailer like that. just more of the same from the sellouts left at blizz. i guess bobby kotick told them what to do and they did it...again.
    Did you seriously make a new account today to talk shit about the cinematic? What a sad, sad little troll you are. Why don't you post from your main account? Probably because you'll be the first person come MoP to make a "Wuts wrong with my DPS!?!?!?!" thread.
    Last edited by Tampwn; 2012-08-17 at 08:17 PM.
    CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.4 Ghz l Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 l MB: Asrock Z77 Xtreme4 l Memory: 8GB Gskill Ripjaws X l GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 l SSD: Crucial M4 256 GB l HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black l PSU: Corsair HX850 l Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower l
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardsoldoutin2009 View Post
    i'm going to report you for trolling. you don't have the right to disagree with my opinion.

I think that one thing which makes this cinematic trailer different for some folks is that the animation is truly different. It is like if you ever watch a movie on a 240 refresh rate TV. A quote from PC Mag about it:

Actually, this effect can produce a distinctly artificial, unnatural feel to video. Motion can appear too smooth, almost dreamlike compared with the films and television shows we've spent decades teaching our brains to enjoy. Action can seem just slightly sped up to the point of looking unreal
    Anyone who has seen movies at these refresh rates would know what I am talking about. When comparing past WoW cinematics to the MoP one, I see some of this preceived effect.

Anyway, just throwing my thoughts out there that this may account for why some people don't like the animation. Personally, I think it looks great. But that is just my own personal opinion. To each their own.
    Last edited by yjmark; 2012-08-16 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    No I saw it. Though if you blinked you may have missed it. I just went back and timed it, a whopping 5 seconds long. from 00:19 - 00:24.

5 seconds of shadowy vague naval warfare didn't do the coming horde alliance war justice in my opinion. Nor, does one orc and one human engaging in hand to hand combat.
    kids want kung fu, not Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems people aren't getting that even with the underlying theme and message of the trailer, the comedic parts were still cheese. I have no problems with the Panda in the trailer, I have no problems with the way the Human and Orc fought or the fact that they banded together for a short while, the problem inherently lies in the presentation of the shift of tone that happened in the middle of the video.

The way the Human gave his weapon to the Orc and the expressions they wore while it happened wasn't Blizzard (cinematic wise) and neither was the way the hammer-like object was placed back by Chen. While both of these scenes (or maybe one of them) brought a slight chuckle out of me, it was still out of character. Overall, the cinematic quality of the video was astonishing and I still find the video to be great but with Blizzard trying to assure us at Blizzcon that this wasn't any sort of Kung Fu panda cop out (tonally), I don't think this Disney/Pixar (the two scenes) cinematic helped sway the non-believers.

P.S. I still think MoP will be good and don't think, story wise, that the game is going to shift that way. I'm specifically commenting on the video.
    Last edited by ElAmigo; 2012-08-16 at 09:30 PM.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

I love how many are going..."Until the panda showed up."

LOL!

Chen Stormstout, my ol' Warcraft III buddy! Good to have you back! Chen made it rock.

Now, it wasn't as epic as WotLK, but it was damn good. Seriously, any folks out there with panda hate after watching this trailer, you're just proving that you can't please all the people all of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    It was ok at least, but to me it missed the dark side of Pandaria completely (the Sha), after this trailer and it's ending it seems like Pandaria is just another happy-happy-fun-fun-land.

It would have been amusing if a Sha had appeared from the dark void and started to devour that Pandarean village on the background.

The part where Chen stops the orc and human fighting to see the beauty before them is symbolic. Have a Sha erupt in the back ground would have ruined it imo, it would feel cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    It seems people aren't getting that even with the underlying theme and message of the trailer, the comedic parts were still cheese. I have no problems with the Panda in the trailer, I have no problems with the way the Human and Orc fought or the fact that they banded together for a short while, the problem inherently lies in the presentation of the shift of tone that happened in the middle of the video.

The way the Human gave his weapon to the Orc and the expressions they wore while it happened wasn't Blizzard (cinematic wise) and neither was the way the hammer-like object was placed back by Chen. While both of these scenes (or maybe one of them) brought a slight chuckle out of me, it was still out of character. Overall, the cinematic quality of the video was astonishing and I still find the video to be great but with Blizzard trying to assure us at Blizzcon that this wasn't any sort of Kung Fu panda cop out (tonally), I don't think this cinematic helped sway the non-believers.

P.S. I still think MoP will be good and don't think, story wise, that the game is going to shift that way. I'm specifically commenting on the video.
    Good way to sum it up personally...I think thats generally how I felt, it wasn't a bad cutscene, but...as said, people who don't like it won't be singing a different tune.

I loved it... And then the god damn panda came in and made it all comedic. I like the cinematic to be serious, like WotLK with the speech, or the classic BC with Illidian being a badass. This.... it was a whole Horde vs Alliance thing which was awesome, and then it just turned into "Lel aint pandas funny?" thing which honestly ruined it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampwn View Post
    Did you seriously make a new account today to talk shit about the cinematic? What a sad, sad little troll you are. Why don't you post from your main account? Probably because you'll be the first person come MoP to make a "Wuts wrong with my DPS!?!?!?!" thread.
    i'm going to report you for trolling. you don't have the right to disagree with my opinion. you have a right to your own opinion and that is all. the FACT that mike morhaime's quotes are all about WAR THIS AND WAR THAT HORDE VERSUS ALLIANCE and they team up in the trailer is just hilarious. MORE OF THE SAME

wow has been run by people who don't even play the genre since 2009 when the last gamers either went to titan or other companies
    Last edited by blizzardsoldoutin2009; 2012-08-16 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    The part where Chen stops the orc and human fighting to see the beauty before them is symbolic. Have a Sha erupt in the back ground would have ruined it imo, it would feel cheap.
    That fact goes over your typical WoW players head who cannot understand stuff for anything other than it's face value.

The symbolism there was: The Alliance and Horde get so caught up in their hatred for each other they don't even realize what is going on in the world around them anymore. This was shown by the mists clearing up and the colors getting brighter after the Pandaren interfered and made them stop fighting, if only for a moment. It's quite obvious that if they had taken the Pandaren out they would have continued to fight one another.

Actually, it is oddly reminiscent of the WC3 cinema where the human and orc are fighting and then stop when they see the Infernals raining down from the sky...
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

QQ. QQ everywhere.

the fact that so many of you are trying to "discover the symbolism" in a trailer some intern created the storyboard for one weekend suggest that you don't like it but WANT to like it.