Page 1 of 37
... LastLast

World of Warcraft is childish

Let's clear this up. MoP is not a "childish" expansion to any higher degree than the game itself is childish. Because World of Warcraft is childish (by the general criteria of people complaining about how childish MoP is supposed to be). It always has been. It always will be.

Remember when MoP was announced? Some people got their internets all in a bunch about some sudden childish tone the game was taking. Know what else was going on when MoP was announced? Hallow's End. Know what you do there? Get some candy, run around collecting masks, and go drop some stink-bombs on an enemy city as a prank. How many of you stormed the forums to complain about childishness of Pandaren and then logged in to do your stinky daily? Be honest.

Remember the Battle for the Undercity in WotLK? Of course you do, if you were playing then. A big long epic battle through the Undercity alongside your faction leaders. Not childish. If you were Alliance, likely after that you headed over to Grizzly Hills for some more questing. Once there, probably your first quest was eating some nuts you're not supposed to, so you've got to give yourself a laxative and go poop 'em out quick. Yup, that's a nice change of gears. Epic battle! Epic pooping! Slightly childish. Slightly.

Think that's the only quest that involves digging through poop? If you've quested everywhere you know the answer is no. Not by a long shot. How childish.

Speaking of Hallow's End, how about every other holiday event in the game, ever. It's all childish (Except for maybe Children's Week. School of Hard Knocks indeed, that ain't for no children.)

But Pandaren are a whole RACE of childishness!!! you say. Well no, given what we've all seen of them by this point, but I'll pretend you're right anyway. How absurd then. They won't fit in with all the srs biznes races of Azeroth. Like Goblins. Or Gnomes. Races who have never had any whimsy associated with them.

So yes! Let us complain about how childish these Mists of Pandaria are! Then let us go to Redridge, and play an absurdly overdone Rambo questline! And Azshara, where it is grim and humourless! And Silverpine, where the invasion hinges on all the Orcs not being so totally wasted man!

ONWARD TO NON-CHILDISHNESS!!!

(Author's note: This post is meant to be read with a level of sarcasm. I am not trying to flame on WoW. I love WoW, I am excited for MoP. I just think it's rather silly to suddenly be all up in arms about how "childish" MoP is supposed to be when that sort of light-hearted, jokey, pop-culture, low humor content has been in WoW since launch. The thread title is meant as an observation, not a complaint.)
    Last edited by Enthusiastic Steward; 2012-08-17 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Too many people misreading this post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Humorous quest aren't necessarily childish. Are you to say that all adult comedy (most of which deals with sexual acts or bodily functions), is all childish?

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah id rather have a game thats like a german sitcom. yeaaaah
    Last edited by psdew1813; 2012-08-17 at 02:08 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anything you have mentioned is childish, Nor do i think mists is, you can't please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    And Silverpine, where the invasion hinges on all the Orcs not being so totally wasted man!
    Totally for kids!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    it's definately changed alot since warcraft 1, which was a very dark world I felt.

it's very kid friendly now which has hurt creativity imo.

I remember they had to tone down some of the monsters in nax since they were too grotesque.

there's really no blood either in this game for example
    Last edited by shadey81; 2012-08-17 at 02:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadey81 View Post
    it's definately changed alot since warcraft 1, which was a very dark world I felt.

it's very kid friendly now which has hurt creativity imo.

I remember they had to tone down some of the monsters in nax since they were too grotesque.

there's really no blood either in this game for example

It's Teen which can go a lot. Wrath was dark, as was Cata. If it got more dark we'd be depressed of it.

I love all the people who call it out for being childish yet the have pony avatars, just sayin.

And I agree with ya. This shit is going to be anything but childish.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm just curious. Is anyone saying MoP is childish actually IN the beta?

My guess is no. I just finished a quest where I gunned down Horde at point blank range with a helicopter, then fired rockets at their ships and blew them up. Then, I went to their base and killed a few of them, and got a cutscene where the Alliance commander orders the troops to open fire on unarmed, defenseless Horde troops.

These were the first, like, five quests I got.

If THAT is childish...then I feel sorry for the life your parents forced you to live. They must have beat the everliving snot out of you constantly if you think violence of that magnitude is "childish".

If you haven't tested the content, you should just stop trying to talk about things you have zero knowledge of. It just makes you look as childish as you actually are.
    Last edited by Fenixdown; 2012-08-17 at 02:47 AM.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it just didn't fit in with the story.

We had:
    The Burning Crusade - RAWR
    The Wrath of the Lich King - RAWR
    Cataclysm - RAWR

and then 180 degrees out of goofyland
    ~*~Mists of Pandaria~*~

Just didn't do it for me.
    But I didn't care for the poop quests either. Or Harrison Jones does Uldum.
    Valar morghulis

I am saying that people who are complaining about MoP being childish are very vague in what exactly that even means, and that there is a lot of content in the game which could fall under definitions of childish. This post was written very tongue-in-cheek (which I thought was apparent but given the first few responses I guess not).

To be clear I still thoroughly enjoy WoW and am looking forward to MoP. I was just trying to point out that the Warcraft franchise as a whole has always tried to strike a balance between dark and whimsical and it's an absurd (imo) reaction to suddenly call out MoP for being "childish" when there has been whimsical, pop-culture, and "low humor" riddled throughout WoW from day one. Like the Linken questline in Un'Goro back in vanilla. It's a obvious Zelda series reference. I'm not calling that out as childish, but it's also not some dark, serious content either. It's a lighthearted, nudge-nudge reference meant to put a smile on your face. Yeah, WoW has that. Not MoP. WoW.

I will agree that the lighthearted stuff seems more prominent as the game has aged, but when you step back the more serious content has also gotten "darker" to match. You can take the whole level 1-20 Goblin starting experience and that whole giggly, non-stop barrage of pop-culture and weigh that against the rather dark overtones and implications of much of the Forsaken starting experience (drunk Orcs or no drunk Orcs). Then you can follow and balance some kung-fu pandas against a place where hatred can physically manifest and corrupt your soul.

Just sayin'

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Ooh, I do believe those poop-quests are childish and so are most events. To me WoW was always childish.
    But that doesn't mean I am not going to enjoy it

Since when is childish a descriptive that tells you something about the quality?
    When people who still live in "teenage macho man" mode start making forum posts.

I showed the opening cinematic to my parents, who are 50. They have never once played WoW. They loved it and said if that had been made into a movie, they would want to watch it. These are people who liked everything from WALL-E to Expendables.

I don't know what kind of person you have to be to not be able to enjoy a little bit of light-hearted humor, but I'm certainly glad I'm not one of those people. They seem boring as all hell.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    For me it just didn't fit in with the story.

We had:
    The Burning Crusade - RAWR
    The Wrath of the Lich King - RAWR
    Cataclysm - RAWR

and then 180 degrees out of goofyland
    ~*~Mists of Pandaria~*~

Just didn't do it for me.
    But I didn't care for the poop quests either. Or Harrison Jones does Uldum.
    It's called a change of pace. We needed something different and not so dark on our hands. It changes the mood.

But I didn't see a giant panda chew a blade of grass with perfect comical timing in past expansions.

If you are objective it is very clear that the subtleties of the game now aim towards casual/children players, happy times, silly places etc, where as before the undertone was one of battle, war, true evil that must be defeated etc.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    If you are objective it is very clear that the subtleties of the game now aim towards casual/children players, happy times, silly places etc, where as before the undertone was one of battle, war, true evil that must be defeated etc.
    But those are still the undertones of this game, though. The casual stuff/silly is the surface imagery, and that's just for one expansion so far, and it's really no where near the degree some people make it out to be.
    Last edited by Golden Yak; 2012-08-17 at 03:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But I didn't see a giant panda chew a blade of grass with perfect comical timing in past expansions.

Oh please, you're just making a mountain out of this. It's not aiming towards *casual/children. If beating up an Orc and Human is childish then I have to wonder how you grew up. I thought children were supposed to be protected from violence not see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Oh please, you're just making a mountain out of this. It's not aiming towards *casual/children. If beating up an Orc and Human is childish then I have to wonder how you grew up. I thought children were supposed to be protected from violence not see it.
    That's going in the opposite direction. I can't remember a single kids movie that didn't have some kind of violence in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never found any of the poop quests childish. I took them as humorous and giggled endlessly at Blizzard's scat fetish.

By the logic you're presenting you could literally call anything childish if you look hard enough.

Also, I found alot of the original post to be hypocritical imho.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

GW2 sig, instantly nullifies your opinion on the matter. Quit talking out the ass, you are inferring the wrong idea and spitting it out as fact.

I really am glad people like you area leaving the WoW community, tbh if GW2 didn't even exist I doubt youd be here making this argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    ONWARD TO NON-CHILDISHNESS!!!
    For true non-childishness to exist in-game, the people who constantly act childish and do childish things would have to either [a] quit (and good riddance to them), or (b) start acting like they have some F-ing sense and stop doing childish/immature/outright rude things. Until the players change, the experience in-game cannot change. In fact, I go so far to say that the game itself is not to blame (mostly) for any "childish"-seeming elements in it; most of the blame for any childishness experienced within the game falls squarely on the people who conduct themselves as heathen hell-spawn in dungeons, LFR, tradechat, etc.
    Last edited by Invictus9001; 2012-08-17 at 03:35 AM.

#FlightIsImportant