Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Problem is, the Elder dragons corrupt, and generally speaking the only way to free people from their corruption is by killing them. There have only been a few (2?) dragons in GW lore that have helped the humans, those being (off the top of my head) Kuunavang and Glint.

Unless it's kind of like fighting fire with fire, and Dragoons are the stout, strong-willed knights who learn the elder dragon's magic because their own magic is what is strong against them. It'd kinda be like Undead Priests in WoW, who have to learn the light to go with the shadow (hence why you can have UD priests and not pallies), the dragoons would have to learn the corrupting magics of the elder dragons to be able to combat them with their own magic.
    That was certainly the idea behind it. I've been thinking of "Dragon Knight" as the profession that could fill the "evil knight" archetype, without simply copying what everybody else does with Death Knights or Dark Knights. In this case, they're also unique in that they're not necessarily evil, but they're simply using corrupting powers that are considered evil, or at least dangerous to use, for the sake of fighting back against those who actually are evil (or, as is the case of the Elder Dragons, at least considered a "bad thing"). Which plays extremely well into GW2's notion of you playing a flawless hero character.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 03:38 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Just pointing out, there are several different definitions of dragoon and when I hear the word dragoon I think of a warrior using a specific ability from a dragon.

ONE definition might not fight according to your imagination because you can't see how they work.

Um warriors can fill a support role and guardians can go full on melee fighting only.

Nobody is drawing power from the dragons besides the minions the dragons created. If someone were able to steal a power and refine it, it will be a great weapon against the dragons (Whats better then using the power of a dragon to fight a dragon). Don't talk about lore that doesn't exist yet.

Are you Anet? No? Then moot point.

Yes for you, you want one mechanic of another dragoon? Interchanging armour based on what dragon's power you are using, giving a boost in a certain stat to fill a certain role and provide added bonuses when hit.

Ex: Drawing on the power of the earth based dragon being hit has a chance to summon an earth barrier to stop projectiles.

OMFG I USED MY IMAGINATION AMAZING
    Try to be more polite and less objectionable when posting, you may get people to actually consider your opinion then, as its, welcome to my ignore list.

Also, using bold for emphasis just come over and you being really annoying, you dont need to add emphasis is you are making your point in a logical and reasonable manner. And big woop to you for realising that this is a discussion forum, where people state their opinions, I did not need it pointing out it was my opinion only, neither did anyone else, apart from you.
    Last edited by mmoc4e3ce29075; 2012-08-20 at 03:49 PM.

Deleted
    The point would not be to draw power from the Elder dragons, but take the power from them.

Kormir stepped into the void of Abaddon and absorbed his godlike powers to ascend to be the goddess of truth. Does that make her evil? No, she absorbed evil powers, but she uses them for good.

Dragoons are perfectly viable lore-wise, you just have to find a way of introducing them.

And don't bring the same WoW argument out that 'You can't just invent new lore,' because yes you can, that's what GW has always been about. Before the books there wasn't even a preset lore, that's why they introduced new professions flawlessly. It's why they introduced new races unquestioned. They could easily introduce a Dragoon, possibly in the Cantha expansion. Maybe they've developed a way of fighting the dragons and have been resisting all the time with the power of the Dragoons? WoW had lore before WoW came out, that's why people get pissy about new additions there. GW doesn't, so it has no problem with introducing new lore.
    Last edited by mmoc64a56cce3c; 2012-08-20 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    That was certainly the idea behind it. I've been thinking of "Dragon Knight" as the profession that could fill the "evil knight" archetype, without simply copying what everybody else does with Death Knights or Dark Knights. In this case, they're also unique in that they're not necessarily evil, but they're simply using corrupting powers that are considered evil, or at least dangerous to use, for the sake of fighting back against those who actually are evil (or, as is the case of the Elder Dragons, at least considered a "bad thing"). Which plays extremely well into GW2's notion of you playing a flawless hero character.
    As "unique" as the Ebon Blade/Ashen Verdict? Because this isn't really unique at all.

And as pointed out by Skellington:
    If you want to look at face value. What you're essentially saying is the same as "guardians draw on the power of jesus."
    You have a statement that all you can gather from is that 'guardians might be somewhat holy.' Unfortunately, "the power of dragons" is much more vague than jesus being holy themed. It shouldn't be that hard to go into detail.
    I give WorldofWorkcraft credit for actually bothering to try and come up with a theme rather than "THEY USE BAD GUYS' POWERS". Uhh, okay. A profession isn't about where the power comes from (No Charr Guardian prays to Dwayna/Balthazar), but how they use what they have. You, Drake, have given none of that, and when asked honestly about how one could theme it (without crossover in an already tight niche) you deflected and got defensive. That's not making an argument for your case, that's being petty and embarrassing yourself.

Valarius, back off a little. You made your point, and I agree with it, but you can calm down a little. Seriously.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    why cant a guardian be an evil knight? take the mechanics and just RP it as evil.
    I'm not sure that this goes beyond just renaming the guardian abilities to more "evil" sounding names.

Or maybe they take the weapon they're using and a lance-shape forms around it in a glowing form, so every weapon they use becomes a different type of lance. I like lances. Kind of like how you can see Aegis on someone as a blue glowing shield...that, just outlining any weapon they use and forming a lance. Lance lance lance.

..and also, still the breaths and stuff.

I'm still just picturing like, Dragonkin (Reis!) from FFT or something with her abilities. She has her normal stuff, then can transform and wreck everything..but that's dragonkin, as in, they're related to dragons or were bathed in dragon-ness. Haha, like the Gold and Silver brothers from Naruto who gained Nine Tails Chakra by going into the Nine Tails, the first Dragoon was formed when swallowed by a dragon yet somehow cut a path out.

Pew pew.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-20 at 04:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    why cant a guardian be an evil knight? take the mechanics and just RP it as evil.
    I'm not sure that this goes beyond just renaming the guardian abilities to more "evil" sounding names.
    Huh? I don't see how you could make that connection. The Guardian's power is entirely about defending his allies. That's the entire source of his power.

Sure, you can be an evil Guardian, but that's beside the point - the entire source of the power of the Dragon Knight concept I am putting forth is that they draw their magic, their power, from the corrupting power of the Elder Dragons.

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 10:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    As "unique" as the Ebon Blade/Ashen Verdict? Because this isn't really unique at all.
    Actually, the whole Ebon Blade thing is just a bunch of death knights that turned on their master. They didn't make a choice in the matter at all, as they are all former minions of the Lich King, and it's not just a bunch of heroic people choosing to use evil powers.

There's similarities, but you can't really avoid such similarities in a "Dark/Evil Knight" archetype.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 04:00 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Huh? I don't see how you could make that connection. The Guardian's power is entirely about defending his allies. That's the entire source of his power.

Sure, you can be an evil Guardian, but that's beside the point - the entire source of the power of the Dragon Knight concept I am putting forth is that they draw their magic, their power, from the corrupting power of the Elder Dragons.

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 10:59 AM ----------

Actually, the whole Ebon Blade thing is just a bunch of death knights that turned on their master. They didn't make a choice in the matter at all, as they are all former minions of the Lich King, and it's not just a bunch of heroic people choosing to use evil powers.
    But Blood Elf Paladins in WoW are only Paladins because they siphon power from a captured Naaru. Maybe evil Guardians could be like that?

Also, like I suggested above, perhaps the Dragoon would not draw their power from Elder dragons, but take the power forcefully. Control their magic. If Snaff can mind-control an elder dragon, some knights can harness the elder dragons' magic and use it against them, surely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, like I suggested above, perhaps the Dragoon would not draw their power from Elder dragons, but take the power forcefully. Control their magic. If Snaff can mind-control an elder dragon, some knights can harness the elder dragons' magic and use it against them, surely.
    That's kinda the point. They take the power of the Elder Dragons for their own use.

I see it as more akin to the backstory of Varus, from League of Legends, than the story of the Ebon Blade.

There's similarities, but you can't really avoid such similarities in a "Dark/Evil Knight" archetype.
    So it's not really a "unique" concept then. Shadowknights also say hi, by the way.

You've told us where they get their power, but not really how to theme the class. Again, a Guardian can pray to Dwayna, Jesus, or no one, and still be a Guardian. The point isn't the source, but the theme that's inherent throughout the class.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-08-20 at 04:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But Blood Elf Paladins in WoW are only Paladins because they siphon power from a captured Naaru. Maybe evil Guardians could be like that?
    The power of the Naaru is not a corrupting, evil power, is the point I'm making. The power source of the Guardians is that of protecting their allies. That's not necessarily implying that they're on the side of good, just that their goal, for whatever reason, is protecting and supporting those who are on their side.

The power of this Dragon Knight concept would have nothing to do with protecting, though due to the mechanics of GW2 they'd have some ways to support their allies. The Elder Dragons are all about corruption and destruction. Think about how Thieves are heavily lacking when it comes to supportive utility, and are heavily focused on offense.

So it's not really a "unique" concept then. Shadowknights also say hi, by the way.
    Does it... have to be unique? The entire point of pulling on the Dark Knight archetype is because there's people who enjoy that archetype. O_o

Nothing is unique. Period. Nothing in the world is unique. Just about everything has been done in the Bible, let alone in other places.
    The sooner you accept that nothing is unique, the sooner you can stop being obsessed with it. :P

I was simply pointing out that it's not the norm for the Dark Knight archetype to be that of willing self-corruption for the greater good. Most Dark Knights are straight-up evil, (or in the case of Ebon Blade, formerly minions of something evil), even when they're honorable.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 04:10 PM.

Deleted
    But are Warriors a unique concept? Or Rangers? Even Engineers aren't a unique concept. Getting a unique concept in an MMO and make it viable in lore is currently a very difficult job. Also a Death Knight is someone who was killed by the scourge, raised as a minion of the Lich King and bound to his will. Once they rebelled at Light's Hope, the Death Knights pledged their cause to eradicating the Lich King.

Death Knights didn't optionally decide to start studying dark magic in order to defeat the Lich King, they were already dark knights against their will and rebelled. Dragoons would optionally choose to harness dark power rather than be castaway ex-minions of the Elder Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    In this case, they're also unique in that they're not necessarily evil, but they're simply using corrupting powers that are considered evil, or at least dangerous to use, for the sake of fighting back against those who actually are evil

....'kay, what?

Deleted
    ....'kay, what?
    Kind of like Warlocks in WoW. They're not evil but nobody trusts them but the Undead.

Deleted
    Definetly Dervish in a possible Elona Expansion.

It's my favorite class in GW1, on par with Ritualist (which could also be a possibility in a Cantha Expansion, btw!)

It has the most amazing class mechanics + style.

I can only wonder how awesome they would be in GW2.
    Last edited by mmocf7632e0726; 2012-08-20 at 04:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ....'kay, what?
    Unique, different, not the majority, non-standard, whatever.

Why are you nitpicking? It's annoying, and stirring things up for absolutely no reason than, as far as I can tell, to be annoying.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 04:39 PM.

Personally I’m all for a Dragoon profession. As Drakewurm suggested earlier they could play to the corrupt knight archetype through their connection to the Elder Dragons. The class abilities and traitlines could be oriented to the five dragons the same way the Elementalist trait lines are fire, water, earth, air, and arcane.

Class name:
    Dragoon / Harbinger.

Weapon profiencies:

Main hand: Great sword, Sword, Axe, Pistol, Short bow, Hammer, Mace

Off hand: Shield, Axe, Mace, Sword

Mace and Hammer abilities can focus on Primordus providing deep related powers, such as stuns, knockbacks/pulls, dark fields, and blowouts.

Swords and Great swords abilities can focus on Kralkatorrik providing leaps that leave behind dragon brand, daze or blind targets with light, provide light combo fields, cause crystal spikes to erupt providing temporary ranged attack protection, and give retaliation.

Axes can focus on Zhaitan and provide death related powers such as causing fear, bleeds, poison, boon removal, and condition spread.

Short bows and pistols can focus on Jormag providing chills, vulnerability, immobilizes, a brief shield, and stability

Shields would focus on Kralkatorrik and Primordus providing block, counter attacks involving stuns, projectile reflection, or a shield throwing attack that would knocks down the first four enemies in a straight path and then boomerangs providing stability to allies in the flight path.

Class mechanic:

Corruption:
    The harbinger has a bar similar to the thief’s initiative bar that starts off empty but fills up at a set rate after ability usage in combat. The bar would have intervals of nine and every three points the harbinger would gain a new a bonus such as stability, fury, or protection. The harbinger can also use his F1 to release all his corruption providing an AoE debuff of either knockdown, daze, or fear respectively. Some abilities may provide extra corruption generation.

Harbinger Utility Skills:

Dragons Boon (CD 25)
    Heals for X and increases corruption rate by 1 for 6 seconds

Bubbles Wrath (CD 50)
    Tentacles constrict foes movement in target area for 10 seconds breaks early on damage

Pulsing Brand (CD 30)
    Grand nearby allies a stack fury and regeneration every 3 seconds for 12 seconds

Call of Destruction (CD 45)
    Summons a group of Destroyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh. I wouldn't see 'em with Pistols. Or Shortbow, for that matter. I could see them doing Longbow, and potentially Scepter.

Maybe not even Shield, but only because I think it would be "different" to have at least one soldier profession that doesn't use Shields.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 04:19 PM.

Scepter seems flimsy for a soldier proffession.

I don't think "dragon magic" would be more evil or corruptive as necromancy honestly btw.
    But maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by Mistral; 2012-08-20 at 04:21 PM.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral