Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

"Saving" Your Monk 50% XP bonus for higher levels

When I first heard people say this, with the idea that since XP is worth more at high levels, not completing your Class quests for the Enlightenment buff until you were high level seemed like a very logical plan. That somehow it would make you level proportionally faster at higher levels than it would low levels.

Now stay with me here, but I'm not sure this is true any more after pondering over it. It's a 50% bonus. No matter what level you are. No matter how much XP you're getting, you're getting 50% more, and thus, leveling approximately 50% faster through whatever content you're in.

So does it matter at all whether we "save" this buff for higher levels? I'd think the only concern would be to make sure when you get the buff, you're constantly leveling every second that you have the buff.

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Last I heard, the quest that grants the Enlightenment buff is doable at 20 and then every 10 levels, and then as a daily quest. Doing it more than once while the buff is active increases its duration as well.

But yes, you should want to have this for higher content. On top of the level 80-85 xp requirement nerfs, having heirloom gear AND the 50% xp buff will make you fly right through Cata content.

That's what I'm saying though. WHY would you want to have this for higher content? What's the point in saving it?

10+ Year Old Account
    That should be a pretty obvious answer. The XP requirement to gain levels (and the gap in time between gaining levels) goes up quite a bit. So you'll want the bigger ones to go by at 1.5 times the normal rate.

That's what I'm saying though. Since it's a buff that lasts a certain amount of time, not a certain level span, you're still going 50% faster for an hour. Regardless of what level you are. My brain hurts. Logic hurts. Am I the only one who's having these thoughts? or am I going crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by WittyWittrock View Post
    That's what I'm saying though. Since it's a buff that lasts a certain amount of time, not a certain level span, you're still going 50% faster for an hour. Regardless of what level you are. My brain hurts. Logic hurts. Am I the only one who's having these thoughts? or am I going crazy.
    It depends how quickly you catch up to the current level 85s. For example let's say you are able to (without the buff) reach 85 as people are mid valley of four winds. Using all your buffs at that point may be beneficial.
    Reason I think this is the case, is because when you enter mop zones you WILL be fighting for kills with other players. If you can manage to burst through those zones and 2/3 of the way through the zone you'll level, that means you can move onto the next one. Where even less people will be fighting for kills. If you're fast enough you can then move onto the level 88 zone before EVERYONE else and will have clear sailing with all the kills for yourself. If you are not doing RAF, then really there is no difference though to doing it all from level 1-70 or from 85-90

If that's true, Athorha, should you just be using those buffs right away to get through cata content? Assuming you're just playing more and are faster than the average person, wouldnt the goal be to get ahead of the pack ASAP? The only time you wouldnt want to use the buff is when you're "in the pack" because you'll be fighting for kills, ganked, etc. and it would lose its efficiency. The boosts seem like such a good way to fly through 81-85 because you, for the most part, will be completely uncontested for everything.

I too was contemplating this. I originally planned to burn them early and blow through, as the +50% will always be relative to XP gained/Required. Saving little time theoretically.

however with +55% to all 85-90 levels, the requirement to do just about every quest that comes your way means we will most likely get blocked by other players for contested kills / ganking on pvp servers. As such I think it may be beneficial to use them in the 85-90 grind, to get ahead of the rest of the players and not get blocked on certain quests / being able to move zones quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Go put some pants on.

The problem with that though, Zik3l, is when you get to the 85-90 content, people will already be ahead of you cuz they're not monks.

Little bit of a Catch 22 ^^ but in that case things may be quieter for us to level anyway. Aren't there XP nerfs 80-85 33~55%? Shouldn't be too far behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Go put some pants on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik3l View Post
    I too was contemplating this. I originally planned to burn them early and blow through, as the +50% will always be relative to XP gained/Required. Saving little time theoretically.

however with +55% to all 85-90 levels, the requirement to do just about every quest that comes your way means we will most likely get blocked by other players for contested kills / ganking on pvp servers. As such I think it may be beneficial to use them in the 85-90 grind, to get ahead of the rest of the players and not get blocked on certain quests / being able to move zones quicker.
    And you dont have to worry about being blocked out of quests/ganked by other monks in Cata content? Just saying, already seen promises of people camping the spawn point in Hyjal for hours for the sake of ganking newbie monks. There's a risk either way.

But really, the logic for why you want to save it for Pandaria is simple: Cata leveling will take maybe six hours at best. Pandaria leveling? 20+. Pandaria is the going to be the grinding point, AND where you'll face the most competition for quest objectives. Moving through those zones quicker will hopefully put you ahead of the wave of monks coming in from Cata content.

Quote Originally Posted by Schaden View Post
    And you dont have to worry about being blocked out of quests/ganked by other monks in Cata content? Just saying, already seen promises of people camping the spawn point in Hyjal for hours for the sake of ganking newbie monks. There's a risk either way.

But really, the logic for why you want to save it for Pandaria is simple: Cata leveling will take maybe six hours at best. Pandaria leveling? 20+. Pandaria is the going to be the grinding point, AND where you'll face the most competition for quest objectives. Moving through those zones quicker will hopefully put you ahead of the wave of monks coming in from Cata content.
    You want to use these quests when you will have the least competition for quest objectives. Being able to complete more quests and get more kills in the hour will give more benefit from the buff than it would if you were bogged down by others doing the same stuff. I'm on a PvE server so I plan on using mine right out of the gate at 80 after I RaF. If you're on a PvP server, it might be better to wait until you're at least out of the Nordrassil area of Hyjal.

On topic... this isn't the first thread about this subject and what it all boils down to is it doesn't matter if you use it at level 20 or at level 88, it ends up saving you 30 minutes of time per buff.

Quote Originally Posted by JRule View Post
    On topic... this isn't the first thread about this subject and what it all boils down to is it doesn't matter if you use it at level 20 or at level 88, it ends up saving you 30 minutes of time per buff.
    Pretty strait forward there. When I use it at level 20, I'm up to 31 before the buff wears off. As long as you're constantly killing stuff and questing it doesn't make a difference. You can fly through the first half of the race, or fly through the second half. Just avoid using the buff when there is a high travel time associated with changing of a quest hub. i.e flying from STV to Plaugelands.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmasca View Post
    Pretty strait forward there. When I use it at level 20, I'm up to 31 before the buff wears off. As long as you're constantly killing stuff and questing it doesn't make a difference. You can fly through the first half of the race, or fly through the second half. Just avoid using the buff when there is a high travel time associated with changing of a quest hub. i.e flying from STV to Plaugelands.
    I agree. Although, there is a portal that will take you from Port of STV to WPL instantly.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28749
    http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28750

Those quests open the portal once you have them.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone that really really hates BC what are peoples thoughts on saving for 60-68 and then using the rest (if any?) at 85+?
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Unless you're going for the FoS I'd say just use it on the content you dislike the most. Sure it might take abit longer in actual hours, but (speaking for myself) it will probably feel alot shorter if you can spend as little time as possible doing content you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by JRule View Post
    I agree. Although, there is a portal that will take you from Port of STV to WPL instantly.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28749
    http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28750

Those quests open the portal once you have them.
    That's good to know. I knew that there were some quests that told you to head to certain places, but portals work even better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    As someone that really really hates BC what are peoples thoughts on saving for 60-68 and then using the rest (if any?) at 85+?
    If you absolutely loathe BC content (and who's to blame you after having done it so many times) then I'd recommend you wait until level 60 to get the buff, and then do every single quest in Hellfire Peninsula - including the Ramparts and Blood Furnace quests.

With only heirlooms, this typically gets me to 64 or so. With an additional 50% experience buff, I wouldn't be shocked if it rocketed you right to 66. Then just do a few dungeons for their quests, and you're out.

Might have been said, but at lvl 1 u get 10 xp per mob, u kill 100 mobs in 1 hour. With the buff that means u get 1500xp for 1 hour and the buff itself is worth 500xp.

at lvl 80 u get 10.000xp per mob, u still kill 100 mobs per hour and instead u get 1 500 000xp and that hour the buff was worth 500.000 xp

EDIT: oh, forgot to say that i havent calculated this at all, was just my first thought when i read the topic.
    Last edited by Citykid; 2012-08-21 at 05:55 PM.

The 'best' way to utilize this EXP would be to use it at key moments in which you gain a lot of EXP quickly.

Examples would be hitting level say, 40, and getting a couple of new instances unlocked (Scholo especially) with alot of quests. One run WITHOUT 50% is two levels on the first run for a small amount of time.

Other key moments would be Shalozar Basin, Zangarmarsh (If you're familiar with the quests, you know they're quick, easy, and numerous with a lot of exp... esp if horde.), Stranglethorn Vale, ect.

The areas you can completely quests the fastest due to familiarity and knowledge are usually the best: at those points you could have a 'path' to maximize the potential of the buff.
    Ones brain cannot co-pilot if ones mouth is on auto-pilot.