Too late for headstart and to buy game at discount?

So I didn't buy Guild Wars 2 yet because I missed prior deals and I am too cheap to pay full price.

However, I found Guild Wars 2 20% off ($48) here http://goo.gl/p1G5t with coupon DERHE-RRDER-RINGE

Edit 8/28: So I ended up waiting and it is too late for headstart now obviously, but discount still works! Game is worth it right?
    Last edited by adders; 2012-08-28 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typos

I was going to suggest buy.guildwars2.com, but it seems they're sold out. (at least for NA)
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-08-23 at 03:45 AM.

I just came here to report that they've been sold out on , check yourselves: https://buy.guildwars2.com/en-gb/
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Digital item sold out, probably disabled by company itself...

You could try via amazon, I believe they still sell head starts??? But be aware hard copy will require aprox 2,4 GB of updates to be downloaded also.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Check Amazon and Gamestop.

Too late...

Quote Originally Posted by gruffi View Post
    Digital item sold out, probably disabled by company itself...

That is crazy that buy.guildwars2.com is out of stock, I mean that is the game makers site and they are out of digital copies? How do you run out of a digital copy of the game you made! Lol!

Oh well guess I just buy from the link I posted in the OP and save some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by adders View Post
    That is crazy that buy.guildwars2.com is out of stock, I mean that is the game makers site and they are out of digital copies? How do you run out of a digital copy of the game you made! Lol!

That is a bit strange. Maybe they wanted to sell only a certain amount of early copies to allow their servers to gradually accept a larger load.

15+ Year Old Account
    Amazon is still selling it for $60 with headstart access and a $5 video game voucher (so effectively $55) with a bonus in-game item as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Pre.../dp/B008MAYXI0

I ran into the same dilemma as you though, and I decided to go for the Amazon one because I really wanted the headstart.
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-08-23 at 04:19 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    That is a bit strange. Maybe they wanted to sell only a certain amount of early copies to allow their servers to gradually accept a larger load.
    They had a max limit of pre purchasers, it's so the logg in servers won't crash. Very smart by Anet tbh, dividing up the launches, will keep things smooth and everybody will be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    It just means the shop ran out of pre-generated codes.

But it looks like it might be fixed already.

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 02:24 PM ----------

Also, if anyone is about to buy a copy from the official site right now, could you post or PM me your order number

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

They are doing EVERYTHING they can to give us a smooth launch. I'm sure this is just another way of keeping the servers from going crazy on launch*d3*.

It's no longer listed at sold out. I know it was about two hours ago.

"Sold Out" is just another term for "Currently disabled for reason x"... in this case it will probably be "Sold Out" until launch day so that people can not buy the game on the 25th and get the early access of pre purchasing, same way just prior to and throughout BWE1 they where "Sold Out" as well.

It isn't that they ran out of codes, it is just merely to allow the people who pre purchased the game to actualy get a "reward" for doing so and have the "Ill pre purchase when the pre purchasers can (almost) already late Friday or early Saturday play to get in 3 days before official Tuesday release" not be able to cheat the system. Anyone who didn't pre purchase over the 4 almost 5 months who is trying to now is just someone trying to cheat the system and waiting till the last possible moment to actually put any money down after pre launch development is already done. The reason for the pre purchase in the way that it was done was to supply extra money towards pre launch development much like games that allow you to pre purchase a game in alpha/beta stages and give you alpha/beta access as an incentive to be able to put in that last bit of extra work in which they lack the money to do otherwise. Heck look at games such as Minecraft, they made millions of dollars over a year before actual release for people buying the game early to play in the beta and to fund the development so the project didn't fall flat on its face.

People trying to cheat such a system now are no longer supporting final stages development and thus do not get the incentive for funding the final stages development... NCSoft funds Anet $x to make a game, Anet starts making said game, ANets slush funds start running low prior to game being finished, ANet has option to release game early and fix it later similar to ToR OR have a pre purchase program to get the funds it needs to finish the product before release, ANet chooses to do pre purchase program rather then release a game that should still be in beta stages, its as simple as that.

EDIT: looks like it is reopened it with 3 day head start still in the description, so looks like they just needed to generate more codes... kinda surprised they didn't take out the 3 day head start for said reasons, but whatever guess they don't mind the people abusing the system so long as they get the sales.
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-08-23 at 06:19 AM.

I just checked and it does not say it's sold out of the digital copy, goes to the purchase page
    I believe it's time for me to be famous.

Deleted
    So prepurchase is not an option? Should be stated somewhere if they dont intend to release more prepurchase keys I think.
    It goes for all versions, EU one as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    It just means the shop ran out of pre-generated codes.

But it looks like it might be fixed already.

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 02:24 PM ----------

Also, if anyone is about to buy a copy from the official site right now, could you post or PM me your order number
    Bah i doubt it Mif.

They did this with a BWE iirc aswell, they just disabled sales and said "sold out" because of the sheer amount of people they had to handle. And this would cause performance issues across the board. Right after the BWE they were in stock again.

But we'll see who is right, if it becomes available again before headstart then i guess you were right. If not, then i think its a deliberate move.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    So prepurchase is not an option? Should be stated somewhere if they dont intend to release more prepurchase keys I think.
    It goes for all versions, EU one as well?
    Arenanet's website might not be selling anymore for the time being, but all digital copies and codes that are distributed to retailers still work.
    Go look for a copy somewhere else, and that should still work just fine.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2012-08-23 at 08:52 AM.

I've just bought a copy online, via their page. Worked just fine, still eligible for 3-days headstart. Just registered an account, happily downloading my client now.
    Last edited by Valz.; 2012-08-23 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    But we'll see who is right, if it becomes available again before headstart then i guess you were right. If not, then i think its a deliberate move.
    You were able to purchase from their website again a couple hours after this thread was made.