10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    The e-mail authentication that they had running in the last Stress Test was a bit of a pain in the arse to get set up, could be nice though. But then...

dat mobile...
    Was able to log in despite that, though. I don't think it's the exact same thing as the e-mail authentication that Mif is talking about.

What I saw in the stress test was asking me to verify "Hey, is this your e-mail?"

Mif's quote suggests that if you log in from a computer that you don't normally log in from, you will get an e-mail going "Hey, someone's trying to log in on your account, is it you?"
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 04:45 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

still prefer a little authenticator that I have for wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    If you actually read Mif's post, you might notice it also mentions that we're going to have an authenticator, though that's something we've known forever.

There's nothing wrong with having an additional layer of security. Even the authenticator is not infallible.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 04:49 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Same. I mean, the only reason to ever be hacked is to either lose it (how could you lose a keyring authenticator?) or that the hacker somewhat guesses it.

Unlikely

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 12:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    If you actually read Mif's post, you might notice it also mentions that we're going to have an authenticator, though that's something we've known forever.

There's nothing wrong with having an additional layer of security. Even the authenticator is not infallible.
    While I do agree, personally an e-mail would be too much. It can take a whole minute sometimes :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

was speaking about the keyring one. don't have a phone nor will I need one so that's outta the question.

email one could get annoying but if it saved the two IPs i log in from than thats a good one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    While I do agree, personally an e-mail would be too much. It can take a whole minute sometimes :O
    You're aware that the quote Mif posted specifically mentioned that an e-mail is sent only when you log in from a different IP?

It's similar to what WoW did for the authenticator after a while, only asking for the code when your IP was different. Except this one doesn't remove the initial security layer of the authenticator.

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 11:54 AM ----------

was speaking about the keyring one. don't have a phone nor will I need one so that's outta the question.
    Ah. I guess there's that. I really don't understand why anybody would attach it to their smartphone.

Those things already have too much importance, and yet people still lose them.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    Same. I mean, the only reason to ever be hacked is to either lose it (how could you lose a keyring authenticator?) or that the hacker somewhat guesses it.

Unlikely

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 12:51 PM ----------

As long as they allow you to set "some" (for some definition of some...think that one through ) amount of computers as preferred computers (IPs, MACs, whatever) and you're not switching on a rapid basis it shouldn't be too cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

[/COLOR]
    Ah. I guess there's that. I really don't understand why anybody would attach it to their smartphone.

Those things already have too much importance, and yet people still lose them.
    Yeah too often have i seen people lose phones and then have to deal with CS to get it removed from account

Was able to log in despite that, though. I don't think it's the exact same thing as the e-mail authentication that Mif is talking about.

What I saw in the stress test was asking me to verify "Hey, is this your e-mail?"

Mif's quote suggests that if you log in from a computer that you don't normally log in from, you will get an e-mail going "Hey, someone's trying to log in on your account, is it you?"
    Should I take screencaps of seven e-mails I had through the last stress test that asked "Someone's trying to log into your account, is that you?"

Because I actually had that.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-08-23 at 04:58 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    I am very sad I still haven't been able to link my gw II account with my gw I account after registration. Wish they completed it, its highly annoying to not see a single thing about it for weeks while I have been farming hom points I hoped to use @ release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should I take screencaps of seven e-mails I had through the last stress test that asked "Someone's trying to log into your account, is that you?"

Because I actually had that.
    Weird. Didn't get a single one of those. Maybe they were working out the kinks of the system.

Hell, even after the stress test ended, I still saw a thing in my window asking to send a verification e-mail. And it was only just this morning that the link to verify my e-mail address actually worked.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 05:01 PM.

Weird. Didn't get a single one of those. Maybe they were working out the kinks of the system.
    Maybe. Might have something to do with being the first time to log-in from my new e-mail address, just as the system went live.

It forced me to authenticate my log-in by going to the website. Logging into the website was supposed to send me an e-mail. Sometimes that e-mail took a few minutes to actually go, but I couldn't finish logging into the game until I clicked that link that was supposed to show up in my inbox.

E-Mail authentication already "works", but seeing as you already use your e-mail as your login, I can see a lot of compromised accounts this way.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-08-23 at 05:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Logging in by typing out the e-mail address is not the same thing as logging into your e-mail and clicking a link sent to the e-mail.

Though I suppose you mean "if they have your e-mail address, they should now be able to hack that instead" or something. They really should allow us to choose a username instead of using our e-mail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Of course. I ran all my weekly errands yesterday and changed my sleep schedule. I will be awake from 7-8pm Friday till the servers open.

Wait. There is an Asheron's Call 2 private server? Or is this a shortening for some other game. I am skeptical a private server for AC2 is actually up and running.

Is it time locked if so?
    It was Asherons Call 2 where I discovered my aptitude as a healer and switched away from "clicking". Quite an important game for me.

Though I suppose you mean "if they have your e-mail address, they should now be able to hack that instead" or something. They really should allow us to choose a username instead of using our e-mail.
    Pretty much this. If they have your GW2 e-mail address and can get one of your passwords, logging in like this sends an e-mail to your account. Oh noes, good thing I already have the address, how hard would it be to hack that, especially seeing as most.... individuals would even be as uninformed as to be using the same password across the board.

As it's currently implemented, this method I'm seeing a lot of compromised accounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much this. If they have your GW2 e-mail address and can get one of your passwords, logging in like this sends an e-mail to your account. Oh noes, good thing I already have the address, how hard would it be to hack that, especially seeing as most.... individuals would even be as uninformed as to be using the same password across the board.

As it's currently implemented, this method I'm seeing a lot of compromised accounts.
    Yeah, fair enough. I guess we need to start getting authenticators for e-mails, too.

Ugh.. please tell me they're not going to make everyone authenticate their email address on first login at launch.. that has fail written all over it.

yeah in the end I want a physical keyring one that'll sit next to my WoW one.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Ugh.. please tell me they're not going to make everyone authenticate their email address on first login at launch.. that has fail written all over it.
    They did that yesterday. You didn't have to authenticate right away to log in though.

Deleted
    I have pre order account and I will start playing 1 day early. When I get my game on the 28th and with it another cd key where should I enter it? Do i go to register.guildwars2.com and select that I already have guild wars account (I am not sure if this refers to having gw1 or gw2 account) or what?
    Last edited by mmoc0894f71233; 2012-08-23 at 05:33 PM.