What is my role as a Warrior in PvP?

I have pretty much decided on a warrior but Id like to know more about my role in PvP without having to read through 100 pages of warrior posts on 4 other forums just to maybe get the answer Im looking for. I never got to play any betas so I dont really have any in game experience. My character selection was mainly from watching dozens of PvP videos from the PoV from every class on various comps. When it comes to PvP either their BG style, Arena Style, or the WvW thing what is my role as a warrior? I know it probably depends on my spec and weapon choices but so far I have narrowed down my 2 weapon sets to be dual wield axe and long bow. That might change but from vidoes those seemed like the most fun to play. Also it gives me a ranged attack set if I can find some high ground or a spot where no one has spotted me so I can open up and then switch to dual wield if the shit hits the fan and I gotta jump into the fray.

Can I play the roamer in PvP and just move about the capture points assisting where Im needed and maybe attack something thats lightly defended and survive long enough for help to show up? I hated defending nodes in every single MMO that has had PvP because either no one ever attacks you or when they do and you call out HELP! no one comes. I would much rather move around the map and cause some havoc and help where help is needed. Just wondering of warrior is good for that? I know they also get some great support through shouts but for my learning process Id like to keep things simple at first and stick to making people dead.

Also I havent seen many of the large scale WvW or whatever they are called battles as most videos I have found were the arena style small team play. In a large scale DAoC type all out brawl what is my role as a warrior? Should I stay ranged and pick off low health people that will naturally flee from the main fight to avoid dieing or jump right into the middle of things? I know in 24 hours I will have this all figured out probably but would like to at least have some idea of what my purpose is going to be before I log in.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-08-24 at 12:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be able to fill pretty much any role you want with a Warrior.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Your role will be what you make of it. You stand pretty free to choose it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    You should be able to fill pretty much any role you want with a Warrior.
    I think I was pretty specific in specifying the way I wanted to play and what weapons I wanted to use so can anyone help me out with a little more detail? I know I can do everything if I use other weapons and depending on how I spec but Im asking specifically about going Long Bow and dual axe

For example the people at Arena Junkies said warriors dont make good roamers. Obviously they know the most about PvP but would like to get other opinions on why they might not be good roamers or why they might make great roamers. Simply saying you can do what you want doesnt answer my question or help me in any way.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-08-24 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    I think I was pretty specific in specifying the way I wanted to play and what weapons I wanted to use so can anyone help me out with a little more detail? I know I can do everything if I use other weapons and depending on how I spec but Im asking specifically about going Long Bow and dual axe
    But that's the point. You pick what role you want to be. Regardless of weapon choices.

Want to be an offensive player? You can do that.
    Want to defense? You can do that too.

There's really nothing pigeonholing you into a role.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I was pretty specific in specifying the way I wanted to play and what weapons I wanted to use so can anyone help me out with a little more detail? I know I can do everything if I use other weapons and depending on how I spec but I'm asking specifically about going Long Bow and dual ax.
    I haven't played much Warrior myself, but with that weapon combination I'd pick a condition build, which would be better suited for offense rather than defense, so you'd be better suited for going from point to point, helping where you're needed. Which is what you want, right?
    Resurrected Holy Priest

You need to leave the world of warcraft-type mentality that your profession can only fit one and precisely one role in a mach. I haven't played warrior a whole lot during the betas, but from what i gather you can do so much, it's hard to explain it in a few sentences. You can charge in and burst people down with weapons like dual axes, greatsword or rifle. You can be very support-y with your banners, hammer knockbacks and other utility skills like Throw Bolas. You can harras people with bleeds, cripples and stuns, all depending on your own personal choice of playstyle. And the beauty of it is that it all seems viable. I read interviews with a developer, who said he liked playing a support warrior, bringing a lot of utility and buffs to allies, allowing them to do the killing for you. Anything you do is benefitial to your team.

The days of TSG, where the paladin just stands there hammering dem heals, while the warrior and the dk zerg everything to death are pretty much over.
    I can't speak of massive WvWvW scenarios,tho. I did not play too much of the game type and really don't want to speak and get it wrong.
    Hope my ramblings helped.

Yes, warriors can move around the map well and with the right utility skills or weapon choices, can do well defending or attacking. With axes, you get good st damage as well as some nice aoe. Same with Longbow, which also provides a cripple so you can close the gap (attacking), as well as nice AoE/burning.

As a warrior (heavy armored melee), I'd think you'd want to be right up in the battle taking on people face to face. Then as people die and others try to scatter, you can switch to your Longbow and cripple/trap with AoE ahead of them or try to scare incoming reinforcements. It's hard to say what it'd be tuned for when choosing specific weapon sets outside of utilities and traits, but I see a Warrior as in the heat of battle, right up in the battle. Others may not.

Large scale would be the same imo. Spinning around in the midst of everyone, picking off people as they try to reinforce quickly, etc. I haven't played a warrior much, but I'm sure they have some gap closing and the ability to burst pretty well.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-24 at 12:42 PM.

I have pretty much decided on a warrior but Id like to know more about my role in PvP without having to read through 100 pages of warrior posts on 4 other forums just to maybe get the answer Im looking for. I never got to play any betas so I dont really have any in game experience. My character selection was mainly from watching dozens of PvP videos from the PoV from every class on various comps. When it comes to PvP either their BG style, Arena Style, or the WvW thing what is my role as a warrior? I know it probably depends on my spec and weapon choices but so far I have narrowed down my 2 weapon sets to be dual wield axe and long bow. That might change but from vidoes those seemed like the most fun to play. Also it gives me a ranged attack set if I can find some high ground or a spot where no one has spotted me so I can open up and then switch to dual wield if the shit hits the fan and I gotta jump into the fray.
    This will work - the last thing you mention. You can easily be a ranged warrior that's ready-to-fucking-go when you lose your ranged edge.

Can I play the roamer in PvP and just move about the capture points assisting where Im needed and maybe attack something thats lightly defended and survive long enough for help to show up? I hated defending nodes in every single MMO that has had PvP because either no one ever attacks you or when they do and you call out HELP! no one comes. I would much rather move around the map and cause some havoc and help where help is needed. Just wondering of warrior is good for that? I know they also get some great support through shouts but for my learning process Id like to keep things simple at first and stick to making people dead.
    For WvW this isn't really feasible. The map is unbelievably large and if you have to traverse any significant amount of it, you may miss what you were moving for. Best to stick with a group and capture and/or defend. For sPvP the maps aren't that large but the teams are small as well. Expect to be with 1-2 other people most of the time though a warrior can hold his own at a cap point if built for that.

Also I havent seen many of the large scale WvW or whatever they are called battles as most videos I have found were the arena style small team play. In a large scale DAoC type all out brawl what is my role as a warrior? Should I stay ranged and pick off low health people that will naturally flee from the main fight to avoid dieing or jump right into the middle of things? I know in 24 hours I will have this all figured out probably but would like to at least have some idea of what my purpose is going to be before I log in.
    It's going to depend heavily on how much you want to run and how well your server is working to build travel points. The first WvW round is probably going to be messy - very messy. New people are going to jump in and have NO IDEA how to build up defenses and teleport points. As the months go by, though, it'll get smoother.

Everyone else has hit it on the head. Everything you've mentioned is something that you can do as a warrior - it's really going to be up to what your favorite playstyle is. If you want to pick people off from a distance (which you mentioned often) you can build for that. If you grow bored with that playstyle after a few months, you can change it up.

Essentially, nobody is going to look at you as a warrior and expect you to do x, y, or z. There's nothing that you can do that most of the other professions can't and the opposite also rings true. So, honestly, just go in and play what feels most natural. If that means hit-and-runs, do it. If that means in-your-face action, do it.