Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Got a question about the Humans in GW2

Hi, I am new to GW lore.

I like the human race in most fantasy games I play, but from the videos I saw on youtube, humans have a heavy religious focus in the GW world (which I don't really like); Logan talks about faith in the destiny edge's intro to races, and humans' racial abilities are all related to human deities.

So is it possible/natural to role-play an atheist human in GW?

You cant be an "atheist" in GW world becouse Tyria's deities are not based on superstitions. Their existence is a fact.

Yes.

Just because a religion is normal doesn't mean everyone else follows it. Some people just don't care.

Very much so - the 6 Gods have been silent for a long time and many people believe the Gods are either dead or have simply forsaken the human race who have been backed into a corner by the Charr.

Deleted
    yeah gods exist in GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    You cant be an "atheist" in GW world becouse Tyria's deities are not based on superstitions. Their existence is a fact.
    This is true as well, though. Technically, you can't believe the Gods never existed - Hell, you watched one be born in GW1 - however, you CAN believe they're dead or just ignoring the world.

Also, you pick a God to follow when making a human in GW2 so it CAN be a stretch but it's still feasible.
    Last edited by vicious796; 2012-08-24 at 12:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, as said before, there's no question whether or not the gods are real, they are. They even placed the humans on the planet (basically, humans in GW2 are aliens )

However, the humans now are not sure since the gods haven't been seen for a while.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

An atheist is someone who disbelieves and denies the existance of God(s). Well, Gods in Tyria are a fact. You can roleplay a character that denounces the Gods.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    An atheist is someone who disbelieves and denies the existance of God(s). Well, Gods in Tyria are a fact. You can roleplay a character that denounces the Gods.
    However, by that definition you're an atheist if you believe the gods have died or otherwise ceased to exist.

Deleted
    Actually, I think I phrased my question wrong.

For example, in most D&D worlds, deities are real. However, being a human has nothing to do with the gods; even though most follow a deity but that is usually not that big of a deal, and is usually a personal choice in adult stage. The characteristics of humans include things like curiosity, quick learning and etc.

So maybe my question is actually ... is faith the defining characteristic of humans in Tyria?

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic90 View Post
    Hi, I am new to GW lore.

I like the human race in most fantasy games I play, but from the videos I saw on youtube, humans have a heavy religious focus in the GW world (which I don't really like); Logan talks about faith in the destiny edge's intro to races, and humans' racial abilities are all related to human deities.

The Gods in Guild Wars are a fact, not a belief. You watch the creation of one and the death of another at the end of one of the GW1 campaigns.
    Last edited by Eldar45; 2012-08-24 at 05:38 PM.

For example, in most D&D worlds, deities are real. However, being a human has nothing to do with the gods; even though most follow a deity but that is usually not that big of a deal, and is usually a personal choice in adult stage. The characteristics of humans include things like curiosity, quick learning and etc.

So maybe my question is actually ... is faith the defining characteristic of humans in Tyria?
    It can be but it's not a requirement beyond picking a God you feel you best represent during your character creation. As has been stated - the Gods have not been seen or heard in at least 200 years (I think it's actually 500 or so, but 200 is a safe bet) and most humans feel forsaken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious796 View Post
    This is true as well, though. Technically, you can't believe the Gods never existed - Hell, you watched one be born in GW1 - however, you CAN believe they're dead or just ignoring the world.

Also, you pick a God to follow when making a human in GW2 so it CAN be a stretch but it's still feasible.
    You can believe whatever you want. That's the great thing about belief. Some people still believe that the world is flat.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Meh, never really noticed it all that much myself. But yah, the Humans are a fairly religious bunch in Tyria despite being at the bring of extinction (atleast on the contintent of Tyria) and the Gods not having done shit for a few hundred years.

But that also sets the stage to roleplay as someone who simply lost faith in the Gods and descides to follow his own destiny or whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    However, by that definition you're an atheist if you believe the gods have died or otherwise ceased to exist.
    Yah, i guess that would work.

One of your biography questions as a human is by which human god were you blessed as a child. You have to pick one. However, as far as player-driven RP goes, nothing's really stopping you from RPing an atheist. It's not commonplace, but you know... The overall story of your character,the one crafted by the developers, will most likely portray you as a follower of the Human gods. No way around that.

The human I will be RPing does not deny the existence of the gods, he just doesn't "worship and obey" them like would be expected. Gods are like the dragons: Sure they're there, we know they're there, we don't really know what they're up to or when they'll be back, I'm just gonna go about my business and not worry about it. They simply aren't important to him.

Here's another human question - what was the orphan story like? I did the missing sister, which was all right, and the circus, which was stupid. Wondering if orphan was worth a spin as a human noble (get a Moses thing going).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoris View Post
    One of your biography questions as a human is by which human god were you blessed as a child. You have to pick one. However, as far as player-driven RP goes, nothing's really stopping you from RPing an atheist. It's not commonplace, but you know... The overall story of your character,the one crafted by the developers, will most likely portray you as a follower of the Human gods. No way around that.
    They really do nothing to portray you in such a light. Being "blessed by a god" also doesn't really mean much.

I mean, these aren't gods like you get from Catholicism. These are gods like you expect to find in the Greek pantheon or something. These beings exist, no doubts there - but there's nothing wrong at all with doubting their divine status.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious796 View Post
    Technically, you can't believe the Gods never existed - Hell, you watched one be born in GW1
    Now I feel even more compelled to get GW.....

Of course!

Charr hold no beings as divine.

Asura view the universe and the immensely powerful beings as part of a cosmic alchemy.

The Human Gods have abandoned humanity. Human cultures in Tyria are as diverse as IRL human culture- some believe/disbelieve and some have taken to other systems of belief.

The Human Gods of Grenth, Melandru, Kormir, Lyssa, Balthazar, Dwayna are widely worshiped. They are not universal gods in Tyria, however. Many cultures and races do not subscribe to their existence &/or validity.