10+ Year Old Account
    So is it worth buying Leona before getting any runes? Still only level 12. I heard many different methods of using/saving your IP but I am curious to what you guys think. Or is there another tankish character that would be better to grab first?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    So is it worth buying Leona before getting any runes? Still only level 12. I heard many different methods of using/saving your IP but I am curious to what you guys think. Or is there another tankish character that would be better to grab first?
    Buy any champions you grow to like while leveling. Currently all champions in lol are viable picks, you won't hit on something not worth it, so buy away and don't listen to people telling you to not touch champions and save up for runes. You'll have plenty of time for the latter and you don't need to restrict yourself to free rotation.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2012-08-24 at 11:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Buy any champions you grow to like while leveling. Currently all champions in lol are viable picks, you won't hit on something not worth it, so buy away and don't listen to people telling you to not touch champions and save up for runes. You'll have plenty of time for the latter and you don't need to restrict yourself to free rotation.
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I got about 6k without much effort so that is why I am debating whether or not to buy her. So far out of all the 6300 heroes she interests me the most. Galio and Ud got me into the AD/tanky style of playing and I love it the most so far.

No one ever said to not buy champions. It's just not worth it buying runes before level 20.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    No one ever said to not buy champions. It's just not worth it buying runes before level 20.
    Actually I've seen a lot of people telling everyone interested to not buy champions and level with free rotation ones since runes are fairly expensive. I can't link those posts here 'cause I can't be arsed to look over thousands of threads, but unless I was hallucinating there were plenty of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually I've seen a lot of people telling everyone interested to not buy champions and level with free rotation ones since runes are fairly expensive. I can't link those posts here 'cause I can't be arsed to look over thousands of threads, but unless I was hallucinating there were plenty of them.
    Thats because your IP generation goes down a ton after hitting lvl 10. Before lvl 10 you get an IP boost to help buy champs/runes at a later date.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    Thats because your IP generation goes down a ton after hitting lvl 10. Before lvl 10 you get an IP boost to help buy champs/runes at a later date.
    I know that, but I don't see how it relates to the question whether buying champions before completing rune pages is a good idea or not. The boost ain't going nowhere if you spend the IP on a champion instead of hoarding it and waiting for T3 runes.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2012-08-25 at 01:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering how I got to 4000 so easily. Now I am level 12 and only 6k. I heard that the Syndra patch is going to have a refund feature, so depending on when you can do the refund I might return Ren and buy Leona.

pantheon or Varus? I like them both but which one is more useful I understand pantheon would allow me to get another champion but I would end up saving for Varus anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Varus isn't the most common of picks for AD carries, but can be devastating in a properly built team (Galio/Chogath/Cassiopeia/Amumu/Kennen/Varus/Sona/Morgana... AoE overload!)

Personally, I quite like his play. Corki, Graves, Ezreal and even Tristana tend to be more commonly seen though.

Pantheon is a champion I always keep on debating buying. And then in the end I buy something else anyway. Might just have to do it soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that, but I don't see how it relates to the question whether buying champions before completing rune pages is a good idea or not. The boost ain't going nowhere if you spend the IP on a champion instead of hoarding it and waiting for T3 runes.
    Runes cost a ton.
    Quints: 1.5k for GP10, 3k IP just for flat AD, AP, or ArmPen, 6k for MS or Lifesteal
    Reds, yellows, blues: ~1.8k for the cheapest, ~3.6k for the most common runes, ~7.2k for the most expensive ones. And you'll need three sets.

AD Page: ~8.4k IP
    AP Page: ~12k IP
    Jungler: ~10.2k - ~13.2k IP
    Support: ~6.9k IP

Now the only runes left before building for specific champions are ArmPen reds, which will run you another ~3.6k IP.

This is why you save up while you have that boost. These are just example figures, but say it took 3 days for you to get 3k IP when under lvl 10 and after lvl 10 it takes 3 weeks. Probably exaggerating a bit, but the point still stands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    Runes cost a ton.
    Quints: 1.5k for GP10, 3k IP just for flat AD, AP, or ArmPen, 6k for MS or Lifesteal
    Reds, yellows, blues: ~1.8k for the cheapest, ~3.6k for the most common runes, ~7.2k for the most expensive ones. And you'll need three sets.

AD Page: ~8.4k IP
    AP Page: ~12k IP
    Jungler: ~10.2k - ~13.2k IP
    Support: ~6.9k IP

Now the only runes left before building for specific champions are ArmPen reds, which will run you another ~3.6k IP.

This is why you save up while you have that boost. These are just example figures, but say it took 3 days for you to get 3k IP when under lvl 10 and after lvl 10 it takes 3 weeks. Probably exaggerating a bit, but the point still stands.
    Yeah, but I still find it counterproductive to put time efficiency above enjoyment when it comes to gaming. The extra time spent earning the IP spent on a fun champion is a non-issue if it's time spent in an enjoyable way.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Varus isn't the most common of picks for AD carries, but can be devastating in a properly built team (Galio/Chogath/Cassiopeia/Amumu/Kennen/Varus/Sona/Morgana... AoE overload!)

Personally, I quite like his play. Corki, Graves, Ezreal and even Tristana tend to be more commonly seen though.

Pantheon is a champion I always keep on debating buying. And then in the end I buy something else anyway. Might just have to do it soon.
    Thanks I think I will buy a cheaper more common carry and Pantheon, then save up for Varus just because I like playing many champions.

So i'm a brand new LoL player, been playing as master yi and enjoying it, have just gotten to 1350 points for the first time.... but now theres a ton of 1350 champions that look sweet. I tend to prefer high damage melee bruiser types, and the 1350 range seems to include a lot of these so.... should i buy Chogath, Jax, Tryndamere, Garen, or Warwick, I know thats a long list but i really have no idea about any of them so any suggestions other than those listed in the 1350 range will be heeded as well.

thanks!

Tryndamere is afaik the same type of "right-click to win" like yi is, except trynd got hit 5 seconds no-death ulti if you fuck up and get into a fight you cant win.

Very high physical dmg like yi + better survivability/ sustain than yi (imo)
    Last edited by Martinussen; 2012-08-25 at 08:36 PM.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by matnisi View Post
    So i'm a brand new LoL player, been playing as master yi and enjoying it, have just gotten to 1350 points for the first time.... but now theres a ton of 1350 champions that look sweet. I tend to prefer high damage melee bruiser types, and the 1350 range seems to include a lot of these so.... should i buy Chogath, Jax, Tryndamere, Garen, or Warwick, I know thats a long list but i really have no idea about any of them so any suggestions other than those listed in the 1350 range will be heeded as well.

thanks!
    Cho is an AP bruiser, Jax is an absolute, total monster. Trynd is going to get you lots of hate from both enemies and teammates, no idea how new Garen works - old fell off hard lategame, but was strong early. Warwick is a newbie's choice of jungler and a strong top laner. If you want a strong, straight-forward melee bruiser Jax would be the best, as Trynd is more of a melee carry than a bruiser.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2012-08-25 at 08:57 PM.

Hm.

What-Champion-Should-I-Buy-Thread; A-OK.

What-Class-Should-I-Play-Threads; Nada.

How does this work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Hm.

What-Champion-Should-I-Buy-Thread; A-OK.

What-Class-Should-I-Play-Threads; Nada.

How does this work.
    That "s" at the end of your second thread name is the main reason why this thread is OK. Singular vs plural.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by matnisi View Post

thanks!
    I normally wouldn't suggest Garen, but after playing him a bit recently I think he's well worth playing in games that aren't seriously competitive. His early-game dominance is impressive and fairly easy to achieve, and he was buffed recently to make that translate better into late game.

He's still an early/midgame champion, but in low level games you will very rarely make it to lategame 5v5 teamfights.

Deleted
    Well if you like high damage melee bruiser types then i guess that you will have a lot of fun with jax.Warwick is also a nice choice since he is a great jungler too.After that it really goes out of personal choice.