Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's definitely worth it, I'll give u a little run down of whats happened so far !

Prophecies
    Originally, there was the Human Kingdom of Ascalon, which was destroyed by the event called "The Searing" by the beasts known as The Charr (playable GW2 race). They and the Humans were enemies and shit, and fought loads before. The humans had some sort of edge before, but after using magic to destroy the "Great Wall" the Charr broke through, and killed hundreds. Then 2 years later, you continue the story, and after troubles in Ascalon, move to the Kingdom of Kryta where you encounter the White Mantle, who are the current "leaders" if you will, of Lion's Arch (Kryta's capital) and surrounding areas. When delivering the "Chosen" (who are later revealed to be sacrifices) the Shining Blade (bandits like Robin Hood) capture to Chosen to save them. Shit goes down, and you end up siding with the Shining Blade. You then meet a guy called Vizir Khilborn (something along those lines, can't remember directly) who you journey with kind of. You then encounter the "Mursaat" also known as Unseen, after a while, who are the White Mantle's blasphemous Gods, and the antagonists of Prophecies. You are "infused" to fight them, and then Vizier Khilborn reveals to be called "The Lich", an evil presence who threatens life on Tyria (the Magical world itself). You eventually kill The Lich, and retrieve an artifact called the Scepter of Orr, which he intended to use to open the Gate of Kamolie, which would release Titans upon the world to destroy it, which was his penultimate plan. This is all part of the "Flamekeeper Prophecies"

Factions
    In a new land called Cantha (Still on Tyria, except across water) a plague breaks out. Soon to be revealed that the source is Shiro Tagachi, an Assassin who slew the Emperor years before, and was eventually struck down himself and cursed, trapping him for so many years. The curse ends, and he is released, releasing a plague, which corrupts and kills thousands within the city of Kaineng (Cantha's industrial land). You have to journey to Echovald Forest and The Jade Sea to retrieve artifacts from those who originally killed him, and stop Shiro. The artifacts however fail, and other means have to be found. Eventually, you stop the Luxons and the Kurzicks (Factions within Echovald and The Jade Sea) from warring, and they unite to kill Shiro. With the help of them both, along with the Dragon, Kuunavang, you slay Shiro, ending the plague (from spreading at least) and stopping turmoil in Cantha

Nightfall
    In Elona, Varesh Ossa (the Leader of the Kournan armies) becomes corrupt. Varesh is a descendant of many Kournan heroes, who are legends in Elona, however Varesh herself dabbles in the Dark and Old Gods, and plans to release the "6th God" Abbaddon, upon the world, who was banished by the other 5 Gods. The heroes (you) Journey across Elona from Istani, to Kourna, to Vabbi and to the Torment realm itself to stop Varesh and Abbaddon. Eventually, you encounter Abbaddon after much difficulty, and slay him. The protaganist (Kormir, the Sunspear leader, who are the Istani guardians) replaces him as the 6th God, becoming the God of Truth, and restoring balance in the Realm of Torment.

Eye of the North
    Eye of the North introduces new races, such as the Norn and Asura. It tells of how the Destroyers (later to be revealed the Dragon, Promidious' minions) rise from the ground to destroy the land above, under the command of the Dragon's, Promodious, General - The Great Destroyer. The races unite to strike down the destroyers, after later being against each other, and even the Charr and Humans become allies, with the character Gwen (a young girl from the searing 20 years on who has grown in fear and hate of the Charr) and Pyre Fierceshot becoming allies. The story of Guild Wars ends with the destruction of the Great Destroyer, and the restoration of balance in Tyria again.

Thats a little run down of the story. After that, over the next 250 years after Eye of the North - The dragons awaken, causing turmoil again. The idea is that "new heroes" being the descendants of their ancestors (the heroes we played before) have to rise up once again to fight off the dragons. It revolves around the uniting of the "Destiny's Edge" guild, which fell apart after failure, and caused divisions in the 5 races (Sylvari - the newest race, Asura, Norn, Human and Charr). It's a brilliant story, and waiting 5 years after it's announced has been fantastic. Can't wait for the release, and so happy to say GW1 was my first MMO, and that I'm still continuing the game today! I hope this helped you make ur decision, and gave u an idea of the lore etc. !

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the combat responsive? Yes, very.

Also, I kind of doubt that plunking down 50-60 bucks for GW2 will break the bank if you already have the funds for a new gaming rig
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Short answer; No

Stick to WoW for now, MoP is right around the corner (5.0.x arriving next week). At least we know that whatever Blizzard throw at us in WoW is of pretty high quality, no matter what the random trolls say. Then perhaps try out GW2 in a few months, if it haven't down-railed like all the other prophecy "WOW-KILLER"-MMO's the past 8 years.

This game seem almost as hyped as Star Wars, it really have to deliver and do it from day1 to not be a huge disappointment. We will see!

This might sound a bit sour for some of the fanboy's around this forum. But from personal experience, I have thrown a LOT of coin after quite a few titles in the past, titles that people said was gonna be OMG BEST EVAH10101!!, but ended up being dead as a rock after a few months. I often regret not giving it a month or two too see how they turned out. I guess its the good old "I don't wanna miss a thing" cringe that hits me like like a truck.
    Last edited by Nelle; 2012-08-25 at 01:42 AM.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    If you're questioning getting MoP, then yes, definitely get it.

No sub fees either, so it's a great buy.

Take a look at the READ ME sticky for more info on the game.
    Well technically there are no sub fees. But every 6 months or so you'll be buying an expansion for 60 bucks. So it's almost the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, i'm in the same boat! I'm going to let it go for like a month and see how people like it. The problem for me is i would have to bootcamp my Mac and i don't want to buy a copy of windows for a game that goes nowhere... If its turns out to be amazing I'll bootcamp, if its meh, i will try and wait for a Mac client although that may take a while...
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

In reference to combat also, it is very immersive. With options to roll in combat, and avoid attacks manually instead of seeing "Dodge" on ur screen, it breaks a whole new level to PvE and PvP. It's very evolving world wise, and you feel like your a part of the game if you really get into it. From Beta, the community are lovely, and theres so many nice people on it, seems very different from WoW tho, there are no raids true, but the lvling process feels like you're playing End Game the whole way, and it just seems to never get old ! I hope I helped you decide, and wutever your decision is, have fun! !

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrax View Post
    It's definitely worth it, I'll give u a little run down of whats happened so far !

Prophecies
    Originally, there was the Human Kingdom of Ascalon, which was destroyed by the event called "The Searing" by the beasts known as The Charr (playable GW2 race). They and the Humans were enemies and shit, and fought loads before. The humans had some sort of edge before, but after using magic to destroy the "Great Wall" the Charr broke through, and killed hundreds. Then 2 years later, you continue the story, and after troubles in Ascalon, move to the Kingdom of Kryta where you encounter the White Mantle, who are the current "leaders" if you will, of Lion's Arch (Kryta's capital) and surrounding areas. When delivering the "Chosen" (who are later revealed to be sacrifices) the Shining Blade (bandits like Robin Hood) capture to Chosen to save them. Shit goes down, and you end up siding with the Shining Blade. You then meet a guy called Vizir Khilborn (something along those lines, can't remember directly) who you journey with kind of. You then encounter the "Mursaat" also known as Unseen, after a while, who are the White Mantle's blasphemous Gods, and the antagonists of Prophecies. You are "infused" to fight them, and then Vizier Khilborn reveals to be called "The Lich", an evil presence who threatens life on Tyria (the Magical world itself). You eventually kill The Lich, and retrieve an artifact called the Scepter of Orr, which he intended to use to open the Gate of Kamolie, which would release Titans upon the world to destroy it, which was his penultimate plan. This is all part of the "Flamekeeper Prophecies"

Factions
    In a new land called Cantha (Still on Tyria, except across water) a plague breaks out. Soon to be revealed that the source is Shiro Tagachi, an Assassin who slew the Emperor years before, and was eventually struck down himself and cursed, trapping him for so many years. The curse ends, and he is released, releasing a plague, which corrupts and kills thousands within the city of Kaineng (Cantha's industrial land). You have to journey to Echovald Forest and The Jade Sea to retrieve artifacts from those who originally killed him, and stop Shiro. The artifacts however fail, and other means have to be found. Eventually, you stop the Luxons and the Kurzicks (Factions within Echovald and The Jade Sea) from warring, and they unite to kill Shiro. With the help of them both, along with the Dragon, Kuunavang, you slay Shiro, ending the plague (from spreading at least) and stopping turmoil in Cantha

Nightfall
    In Elona, Varesh Ossa (the Leader of the Kournan armies) becomes corrupt. Varesh is a descendant of many Kournan heroes, who are legends in Elona, however Varesh herself dabbles in the Dark and Old Gods, and plans to release the "6th God" Abbaddon, upon the world, who was banished by the other 5 Gods. The heroes (you) Journey across Elona from Istani, to Kourna, to Vabbi and to the Torment realm itself to stop Varesh and Abbaddon. Eventually, you encounter Abbaddon after much difficulty, and slay him. The protaganist (Kormir, the Sunspear leader, who are the Istani guardians) replaces him as the 6th God, becoming the God of Truth, and restoring balance in the Realm of Torment.

Eye of the North
    Eye of the North introduces new races, such as the Norn and Asura. It tells of how the Destroyers (later to be revealed the Dragon, Promidious' minions) rise from the ground to destroy the land above, under the command of the Dragon's, Promodious, General - The Great Destroyer. The races unite to strike down the destroyers, after later being against each other, and even the Charr and Humans become allies, with the character Gwen (a young girl from the searing 20 years on who has grown in fear and hate of the Charr) and Pyre Fierceshot becoming allies. The story of Guild Wars ends with the destruction of the Great Destroyer, and the restoration of balance in Tyria again.

Thats a little run down of the story. After that, over the next 250 years after Eye of the North - The dragons awaken, causing turmoil again. The idea is that "new heroes" being the descendants of their ancestors (the heroes we played before) have to rise up once again to fight off the dragons. It revolves around the uniting of the "Destiny's Edge" guild, which fell apart after failure, and caused divisions in the 5 races (Sylvari - the newest race, Asura, Norn, Human and Charr). It's a brilliant story, and waiting 5 years after it's announced has been fantastic. Can't wait for the release, and so happy to say GW1 was my first MMO, and that I'm still continuing the game today! I hope this helped you make ur decision, and gave u an idea of the lore etc. !
    Thanks! This cleared a lot up. I have been reading the big sticky as well, so that is adding more to what I am finding out about the lore. It seems that the amount of lore is almost as much as Warcraft.

---------- Post added 2012-08-25 at 01:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    Is the combat responsive? Yes, very.

Also, I kind of doubt that plunking down 50-60 bucks for GW2 will break the bank if you already have the funds for a new gaming rig
    Well it is not so much a "Can I" moreso a "Should I". I graduated from college in May, and I have been working since then, so there are other things such as getting my own place and a car possibly, that I should be putting above a new computer. I still want to though

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrax View Post
    In reference to combat also, it is very immersive. With options to roll in combat, and avoid attacks manually instead of seeing "Dodge" on ur screen, it breaks a whole new level to PvE and PvP. It's very evolving world wise, and you feel like your a part of the game if you really get into it. From Beta, the community are lovely, and theres so many nice people on it, seems very different from WoW tho, there are no raids true, but the lvling process feels like you're playing End Game the whole way, and it just seems to never get old ! I hope I helped you decide, and wutever your decision is, have fun! !
    Thanks for your enthusiasm I am definitely leaning towards getting it now, thanks to the responses people have been nice enough to put up.
    Last edited by Bloogonis; 2012-08-25 at 01:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    Short answer; No

Stick to WoW for now, MoP is right around the corner (5.0.x arriving next week). At least we know that whatever Blizzard throw at us in WoW is of pretty high quality, no matter what the random trolls say. Then perhaps try out GW2 in a few months, if it haven't down-railed like all the other prophecy "WOW-KILLER"-MMO's the past 8 years.

This game seem almost as hyped as Star Wars, it really have to deliver and do it from day1 to not be a huge disappointment. We will see!

This might sound a bit sour for some of the fanboy's around this forum. But from personal experience, I have thrown a LOT of coin after quite a few titles in the past, titles that people said was gonna be OMG BEST EVAH10101!!, but ended up being dead as a rock after a few months. I often regret not giving it a month or two too see how they turned out. I guess its the good old "I don't wanna miss a thing" cringe that hits me like like a truck.
    Guild Wars 2 will never be a WoW killa as it is not trying to copy it, Arenanet are prepared do things there own way and let the players decide, no on going game fee's makes this a very cheap buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovver View Post
    Guild Wars 2 will never be a WoW killa as it is not trying to copy it, Arenanet are prepared do things there own way and let the players decide, no on going game fee's makes this a very cheap buy.
    That is exactly what I've been saying for a long time now. It's sad that some people will never understand it and continue to think the game is trying to copy other games like WoW for a quick buck.

I'm also so sick and tired of seeing people saying that GW2 will fail because games like Rift, AION, Tera, Warhammer, SW:TOR did not do amazingly well... So I guess no other MMORPG can come out and be more or just as successful as WoW? Give me a fucking break already! WoW may be a good and successful game, but it is far from perfect.
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2012-08-25 at 02:35 AM.

Deleted
    Just try to imagine having 4 months this constant battle :P

Short answer; No

Is ur server dying or something? Anyways if you played D3 and Cata then you will most certainly know it's good time to start trying other games.
    Wow had its glory days in burning crusade up until ulduar after that it started becoming the instant gratification game you have now, raiding means shit with LFR, but yeah by all means OP go play MoP.
    Last edited by Crazyjoe; 2012-08-25 at 02:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short answer; No

Oh please WoW has had no new content for what 9 months, going on 10 by the time MoP comes out. Play GW2 till MoP, it doesnt have a sub, if you like it you can come back to it, if you dont, then its no worse then buying any crappy console game you play through once.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    last time i played gw2 it was a horrible experience and the combat felt like shit. animations were horrible and everyone looked like they were sliding on ice instead of running, combat/interface felt laggy (like warhammer) and overall game experience was awful. i still have no idea why you are forced to pick 8? skills. i guess the game would be too complex for people who are bad at games so they put a limit on it.

i expect this game to go the same way warhammer/rift/starwars went. if you feel like throwing your money away to play it for a month then go ahead but i don't really see it lasting any longer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Voldemorter View Post
    last time i played gw2 it was a horrible experience and the combat felt like shit. animations were horrible and everyone looked like they were sliding on ice instead of running, combat/interface felt laggy (like warhammer) and overall game experience was awful. i still have no idea why you are forced to pick 8? skills. i guess the game would be too complex for people who are bad at games so they put a limit on it.
    i expect this game to go the same way warhammer/rift/starwars went. if you feel like throwing your money away to play it for a month then go ahead but i don't really see it lasting any longer than that.
    hahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha this guy comes here and tells us this and he plays wow, what a fucking joker this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedsterz View Post
    No offence, but this is a bad place to ask. Everyone here loves GW2, I would personally wait for a review from a gaming site like PCgamer and so on. They will tell you all the pros and cons you really need to know.
    You could also buy now for $60 and get early access (starting in 70minutes to 250 minutes) and a +2 allstats ring (or wrist? I don't know which it is).

I mean honestly if it sucks, $60 is not a large investment for anyone who regularly buys and plays video games, especially one with just so much content. Best part is more content will keep being made and you don't need a sub to pay for it.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    You could also buy now for $60 and get early access (starting in 70minutes to 250 minutes) and a +2 allstats ring (or wrist? I don't know which it is).

I mean honestly if it sucks, $60 is not a large investment for anyone who regularly buys and plays video games, especially one with just so much content. Best part is more content will keep being made and you don't need a sub to pay for it.
    @OP this is a neutral answer as you will get, nice one Dragon.

Pvp system is fun, but for how long, who knows. I really hate the questing system, for something thats supposed to be groundbreakinging different from most mmos, i found it more grindy then killing 50 bears for 5 livers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont get the WoW response. I am going to buy MoP, I fucking loved WoW for 6 years and if MoP is remotely good I will play it instead of GW2, but there is nothing to do in WoW for the next month, so why would you not get something else to play if you can afford it. GW2 doesn't have the subscription so I won't feel cheated if I stop playing it to play WoW as I can always play it again later. It's good, it's different, but really ITS NEW CONTENT and you got a month to kill.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoe View Post
    hahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha this guy comes here and tells us this and he plays wow, what a fucking joker this is.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I know right!?!?!? Because the class mechanics in WoW are just SO complex profound right? ROFL!!!

Almost every spec in WoW revolves around a standard 3-6 button rotation, every other button you have on your screen is just mindless and unneeded clutter from buffs, mounts, pets, macros and spells that you almost never ever use during combat.

The lack of brains in this thread is making my fucking head spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I know right!?!?!? Because the class mechanics in WoW are just SO complex profound right? ROFL!!!

Almost every spec in WoW revolves around a standard 3-6 button rotation, every other button you have on your screen is just mindless and unneeded clutter from buffs, mounts, pets, macros and spells that you almost never ever use during combat.

The lack of brains in this thread is making my fucking head spin.
    Funny enough wow was more complex when there were less abilities lol. But yeah, Wow right now is about as complex as a baked potato.