Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow Priest = Offhealers ???

Hey, i saw the preview of MOP shadow priests talents and spelsl... it seems that blizzy want us as offhealers -.- i don't like this very much... i would have the freedome to choiose to be an healer or a dps... why a raid leader must choose to take in raid a dps with offhealer talents??
    im so sad...

Deleted
    What makes you say that?

The only substantial healing you have is vampiric embrace. And even that heals for nothing in 25 man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't they reduce our healing by making vampiric embrace have a cooldown rather than being passive?

10+ Year Old Account
    Only because your talents include healing that doesn't make you an offhealer

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the OP is looking at the level 90 talents and thinking "shadow's supposed to heal with them".

They do damage and heal at the same time. That doesn't make you an off healer. Now, if you still had Divine Hymn and you had to use it on a fight, then maybe I could see that type of consideration (which we had our shadow priests do on a number of occasions during Cataclysm).

Halo is not a healing spell for shadow. It's a damage spell that just happens to heal. Just like most of your other spells, really, only this one's AoE.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

What do u think about void shift "You and the currently targeted party or raid member swap health percentages. Increases the lower health percentage of the two to 25% if below that amount". Was'n better a dps spell? who could be happy in raid to do this? in pvp istead i think this is too much....

15+ Year Old Account
    A cooldown doesn't make you a healer. It makes you a lifesaver.

I know many a shadow priest who will use Leap of Faith on someone if it means keeping them from dying. Besides which, Void Shift can be used to heal you up! Use it on a priest specced in Desperate Prayer to heal yourself to full. Or use it on someone who you know won't be taking any immediate damage. You can save yourself with it just as much as you can save someone else.

I think you read WAY too much into that spell.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    Ye, Void shift just puts you in the same place as Ret/Prot Palas. AKA you can save someone's life now.

Trust me, SPs are not there for the healing.

Deleted
    why you think it's about healing yourself, I would use Void Shift to save a someone else.
    worst case you gona heal him up to 25% hp.. and in a perfect scenario a 100% heal that's imba.
    and for yourself you still have dispersion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rene27906 View Post
    why you think it's about healing yourself, I would use Void Shift to save a someone else.
    worst case you gona heal him up to 25% hp.. and in a perfect scenario a 100% heal that's imba.
    and for yourself you still have dispersion.
    in arena/bg's if ur being trained you could void shift your healer or another dps to bring ur health back to full while they can safely heal back to full (or in random bg's just void swap to save urself and lol at them dying =p)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    A cooldown doesn't make you a healer. It makes you a lifesaver.

I know many a shadow priest who will use Leap of Faith on someone if it means keeping them from dying. Besides which, Void Shift can be used to heal you up! Use it on a priest specced in Desperate Prayer to heal yourself to full. Or use it on someone who you know won't be taking any immediate damage. You can save yourself with it just as much as you can save someone else.

I think you read WAY too much into that spell.
    It can also be cast on Shadowy Apparitions, Shadowfiend, Void Tendrils, Totems, etc. No need to actually hurt anyone for your full heal.

---------- Post added 2012-08-25 at 06:03 PM ----------

As far as shadow being an off-healing spec... I can see that being possible. With the exceptional mana returns from Vampiric Touch and Mindbender, we could easily sustain the mana to roll Renew and Prayer of Mending for an entire fight. Thanks to the new glyphs, this can be done without dropping Shadowform, and if we only displace Mind Flay, then it's not even a large damage loss. We could hypothetically function as as half of a healer, complete with two half-power healing cooldowns: Vampiric Embrace, and burning a mana bar on Flash Heal.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    If a fight needs dps and the decision is to 2-heal it, then having a Shadow Priest has always been a way get by on 2 healers. And if one of them needs a battle rez, an spriest can throw out heals to bridge the gap. I would call it utility, not being a true healer. The big change in MoP will be the ability to heal in Shadowform, which is way more useful in PvP but could potentially be used in PvE if the encounter dynamic can use it. Plus I feel every Shadow Priest should heal from time to time! =D

10+ Year Old Account
    I already off-heal on my Shadow Priest.

u could heal and be a mediocre dps and a medriocre healer i won't to be an assistent.....

---------- Post added 2012-08-26 at 04:28 AM ----------

when we'll be down in recount damage list i bet that raid leader will prefer take us in raid istead a lock or mage.... because we could be usefull in healings DD

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be that saying that Blizzard wants us to be off-healers is too strong. On the other hand, with a glyph we have Renew and PoM to cast without dropping out of shadow form (and of course PW-Shield if we need it). VE also does some very strong healing for a short time as a cooldown. Those are not the best heals in the game by any means but in a pinch, off-healing will be less painful than before since you won't lose a GCD to getting back into shadow form.

I suppose the idea of off-healing terrifies anyone who lives and dies by Recount/Skada but if you have a smart guild leader or raid leader, he or she will value the utility that you provide in case it's necessary.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-08-26 at 07:21 AM.

Deleted
    Shadowpriest is a hybrid healer. You're suppose to step in and heal if required. Most often it isn't required though, but if you truely dislike that role I suggest you reroll warlock.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-08-26 at 08:02 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Shadowpriest is a hybrid healer. You're suppose to step in and heal if required. Most often it isn't required though, but if you truely dislike that role I suggest you reroll warlock.
    Pretty much this^^

I've known that my role as a shadow priest is that in a time of need I have healing spells and have used them when it was needed. I've been playing since vanilla and was one of the lucky who saw Naxx when it was current content. Hell there were times we were down a healer and I stepped in and healed while in a shadow spec and my guild leader didn't care because I was there healing. Meters don't show the whole story and if you have a guild leader who only looks at meters to judge how you are doing your job in a raid, then you've got one shitty guild leader who shouldn't be leading a raid. And if you don't like the fact that you CAN heal in times of need then you should have rolled a pure dps class that can only dps (ie mage, lock, rogue, or hunter).
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2012-08-26 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Pretty much this^^

I've known that my role as a shadow priest is that in a time of need I have healing spells and have used them when it was needed. I've been playing since vanilla and was one of the lucky who saw Naxx when it was current content. Hell there were times we were down a healer and I stepped in and healed while in a shadow spec and my guild leader didn't care because I was there healing. Meters don't show the whole story and if you have a guild leader who only looks at meters to judge how you are doing your job in a raid, then you've got one shitty guild leader who shouldn't be leading a raid. And if you don't like the fact that you CAN heal in times of need then you should have rolled a pure dps class that can only dps (ie mage, lock, rogue, or hunter).
    Vampiric Embrace is an awesome raid CD then you got POM and Renew without dropping shadowform then you have the level 90 talents that heal and basically have a Lay on Hands with Void Shift to save a Tank. Priests are a hybrid class who woulda thunk it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by espoire View Post
    It can also be cast on Shadowy Apparitions, Shadowfiend, Void Tendrils, Totems, etc. No need to actually hurt anyone for your full heal.
    That sounds more like a bug and might get fixed so it can only be cast on players...

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post

Couldn't disagree more (if you mean you're supposed to have off-spec heal).
    Last edited by Vargur; 2012-08-26 at 05:53 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    That sounds more like a bug and might get fixed so it can only be cast on players...

Couldn't disagree more (if you mean you're supposed to have off-spec heal).
    You never have a shadowpriest heal full time, but casting a few PoH's or a single pws here and there when shit gets tough is within reason, or situations where you lose a healer and the fight gets impossible because of it without you stepping in, then yeah you're suppose to step in and heal. It's the same thing for Ele Shamans and Boomkins.

Here's a few example of how you could do it in DS:
    Hagara Lighthing phase
    Spine on rolls.