Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    finished installing it last night, but hadn't had the chance to play it since it was quite late. will start it up this evening.

curious to see if this can get me hooked, seeing a lot of various opinions on these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestyle View Post
    So question, exactly what does the guardian profession do, if it isn't tanking? I was somewhat confused between the difference between a guardian and a warrior, if the warrior is a damage dealer and guardian sounds like a tank.

Guardian is a lot more "support". He can place aoe regeneration, give his allies shields and little power ups, he can "dps" of course, with one weapon for example he can heal for very little to the ones near the target with every "auto attack", etc.

All words between "" should be taken with a little comprehension and not as absolute literals.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, in 2 game play days it's the best ever...

Congratz, you reacted to it like most people do react to new MMO games that have above mediocre beginning.

Wont' save the endgame though, my bet is that GW2 is basicly dead after 2-3 months, like every other WoW killer.

the thing is i only bought this game to keep me going untill MoP but i think i will carry on play even after this date. i did not really play GW1 but as it is B2P it does not really matter when or how often i play it. i have even taken 3 days off work this week to carry on playing which i have never done with any other game.
    Intel i7 2600k | NZXT Havik 140 | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 3x Liyama E2407HDS(5760x1080) | Intel 520 Series 120GB
    2x EVGA GTX 690 SC Signature 4096MB in SLI | 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 | CoolMaster HAF X

Deleted
    Yeah traits and the ~30 secondary spells (pvp) combined with the weapon system offer way less depth than wow.

Deleted
    I love it, love the weaponsystem, love the combat system, I'm absolutely addicted to finding vistas and about gathering who else just freaking love that you can bank all your crafting items directly from your bag?

Deleted
    good to know there are people happy with the game. glad that it is good

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Congratz, you reacted to it like most people do react to new MMO games that have above mediocre beginning.

Wont' save the endgame though, my bet is that GW2 is basicly dead after 2-3 months, like every other WoW killer.
    GW2 is different because it's not meant to be an all consuming thing like WOW or other MMO's. There's no reason to ever really quit because once people pay for the box they have no more financial obligations. They can stop playing and pick it up here and there. There's no "end game" since the whole game is the end game. You can pick it up and play when you like.

I plan on playing MoP AND GW2 and I think a lot of people will do the same with other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post

People need to stop with this association fallacy. First off, RIFT, Aion, TERA, SWtoR, LotRO, etc are not dead. Get that out of your head. Secondly, none of these games performed the way they did because no other MMO before them outperformed WoW. That's stupid. Each game succeeds based on it's own merit, not because some other game of the same genre from a completely different developer performed a certain way.

If you want to make a somewhat acceptable association, look at GW1. I was one of the best selling PC games, and ran strong for 7 years.

GW2 will still have a good playerbase when MoP comes out. There are people who are tired/fed up/sick of WoW, people who never played WoW, people who don't play any MMOs, etc that will find a home in GW2. Then there are sane people who realize they can play both WoW and GW2 and still succeed in both (you're crazy if you think WoW takes up all of your gaming time, especially in MoP).

To me it just seems like every time a new MMO launches people play it for a month and say its the best MMO they have played, but they don't realize it has to stand the test of time to actually be compared to WOW. GW2 looks great, by this I mean its new, a 2012 car looks better than a 2001 car right. Technology changes to make games look better and run smoother, and I am sure this is the case with many new MMOs coming out, but all I am saying before comparisons with WOW, lets let a couple of months pass by and see if you still think its the BEST MMO. So many post on how Star Wars was going to beat WOW, it didn't even last a year before people changed their tune. Before that it was RIFT, and even GW original. I mean its been less than a week of this game coming out, and we have people already saying its the best MMO, LOL.

Nevermind, not worth it...
    Last edited by Azrok-; 2012-08-28 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrok- View Post
    Why, just why does it have to compare to WoW? Pro tip: it doesn't.

MMOs don't need 9 million subscribers to survive. Just go away.
    It has to be compared because that's all this thread is about. Claiming something is the best requires it to be measured against all others. Also, you may have missed that GW2 doesn't use a subscription model so there is no basis for comparison there.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    It has to be compared because that's all this thread is about. Claiming something is the best requires it to be measured against all others. Also, you may have missed that GW2 doesn't use a subscription model so there is no basis for comparison there.
    No, it doesn't have to be compared. "Best I have ever played" is a highly subjective statement and if you can't understand that, then I can understand why so many people feel the need to come to a thread about people who like the game to trash talk about it instead of using the proper thread for people who don't like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    Guardian is a lot more "support". He can place aoe regeneration, give his allies shields and little power ups, he can "dps" of course, with one weapon for example he can heal for very little to the ones near the target with every "auto attack", etc.

All words between "" should be taken with a little comprehension and not as absolute literals.
    Guardian is the "tankiest" class in my opinion. Though it might be better to say its more support and buffs. So far though it seems very reliant on how you use it. With the Hammer or Greatsword it actually seems squishier than my warrior. Yet with a mace and shield its got some serious staying power. Of course sending a mob literally flying with a Hammer is a sight I never seem to tire of.

Landing in the middle of a pack and popping your shield's bubble can be a visual treat too.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 08:53 AM ----------

The zones are gorgeous and so is the gear. The Charr's two handed "steamblade" ranks as one of the coolest swords I've ever seen.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    I'm interested in buying the game, i'm quite torn between buying MoP Xpac or GW2, not sure what i'm going to do yet, so i'm reading here for comments Good or Bad, their doesn't seem to be any unbiased opinions apart form this is great or this is Bad,

I think everybody wants the game they enjoy to be the most popular, i also want to invest in a game with a large community and obviously the game has to be fun, so far i get that the game is fun for sure, which is great.

a few questions

1. I just need to work out how much fun i can get out of £50 and for how long, is there really that much content that will keep me wanting more without having to wait a long time for an Xpac, as with a Sub game the developer will likely be bring me regular updates / new content, if i'm going to invest time i would like to know that i will be for a long haul.

2. Is the PVP sluggish or is it quite fast passed? the movement and abilities seemed a little slow on You Tube.

3. People mention overflow servers, will i be able to log on and play with my friends or does it kind of depend on how many people are logged on?

4. Is their a ladder type Arena/PvP system? i really liked Blizzards Arena System.

5. are there any reward systems for competitive folks.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ikonshaman View Post
    I'm interested in buying the game, i'm quite torn between buying MoP Xpac or GW2, not sure what i'm going to do yet, so i'm reading here for comments Good or Bad, their doesn't seem to be any unbiased opinions apart form this is great or this is Bad,

I think everybody wants the game they enjoy to be the most popular, i also want to invest in a game with a large community and obviously the game has to be fun, so far i get that the game is fun for sure, which is great.

a few questions

1. I just need to work out how much fun i can get out of £50 and for how long, is there really that much content that will keep me wanting more without having to wait a long time for an Xpac, as with a Sub game the developer will likely be bring me regular updates / new content, if i'm going to invest time i would like to know that i will be for a long haul.

2. Is the PVP sluggish or is it quite fast passed? the movement and abilities seemed a little slow on You Tube.

3. People mention overflow servers, will i be able to log on and play with my friends or does it kind of depend on how many people are logged on?

4. Is their a ladder type Arena/PvP system? i really liked Blizzards Arena System.

5. are there any reward systems for competitive folks.

Thanks
    1.I played GW1 for over 5000 hours, and it's cost me about 200€ total (3 campaigns + expansion), I expect gw2 to have similar longevity.

2.Movement looks slow indeed, but once you're in the action it's very twitch-based and you'll need to react and play fast.

3.There is a system in place to teleport to the overflow server that your friend is on currently, but I think it' bugged (there are a lot of bugs still)

4.There are tournaments for (5v5) sPvP, which will be held daily, then there will be monthly and yearly tournaments for the better players.

5.There is a rank system, and you will be able to get special rewards including gems (cash shop currency)

for more info, I'ld suggest reading the Mass info thread in the stickies
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, there are many "This game is not WoW, therefore it sucks" posts.

Anyway, so far I have probably played 20 hours total in 3 days. I would've played A LOT more if it wasnt for work. For me, the immersion is complete. I can spend hours playing then I look at the clock and realise how much time has passed and not believe it!

Don't get me wrong, I still love WoW. I will keep on playing when MoP comes out and I'm actually excited for today's 5.0! I'm just happy I found a game to play when I'm done raiding for the week.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloral View Post
    I can spend hours playing then I look at the clock and realise how much time has passed and not believe it!
    Oh my, yes. I made a Norn Engineer with his Steam Punk monocle...I had to eat dinner before bed (terrible) since I didn't realize what time is was until 11PM. I literally thought that 30 minutes had passed. Loving this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoe View Post
    I have to agree I think wow will be the last sub based MMO, the biggest issue for wow is games like dota 2, apparently people expect it to be bigger then lol.

Part of what you say its an interesting topic, are sub based MMOs still viable? We wil have to see.

About Dota 2 being bigger than LoL, that just wont happen. LoL is a lot more friendly than Dota 2 and therefore will have more success. LoL also already built a bigger e-sport community than Dota 1 had and Dota 2 wont be able to match it.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Another bit I just realized tonight was that not only do your toons share the same guild, but they also share the same bank vault and "collections." So all my toons have easy access to mats gathered by any of my toons. So I don't have to worry about duplicating any of my crafting. Just keep finding more nice touches to this game.

The collections concept is one of the best things i have seen. You can even send all your collectables to your collection "bank" from the bags, by clicking on the small whell at the top right of the bags and seleectin deposit all collectables . That saves up an incredible amount of space to keep everyone in the world withotu having to return to the capital every 15 minutes.

An improvement i think they can make, is stealing SWTOR's idea and letting peopel craft without havign to withdraw the items from the bank, although its not that much neccesary, but it will be a nice improvement.
    Last edited by Crashdummy; 2012-08-28 at 03:09 PM.