Thread: Gw2 dvd...

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Gw2 dvd...

So i purchased the physical copy of GW2 and found out that when i run it from the disc its installing the entire game, I got up to 500mb and it was still at 1% why? It doesnt prompt any download from the disc or anything it justs download all the data from the internet and further more the game in my Program files is 500mb meaning it hasnt downloaded any data from Disc 1 Please Explain. Kthxbye

Quote Originally Posted by snatat View Post
    So i purchased the physical copy of GW2 and found out that when i run it from the disc its installing the entire game, I got up to 500mb and it was still at 1% why? It doesnt prompt any download from the disc or anything it justs download all the data from the internet and further more the game in my Program files is 500mb meaning it hasnt downloaded any data from Disc 1 Please Explain. Kthxbye
    You we're given the answer multiple times in your other thread that got locked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphon View Post
    You we're given the answer multiple times in your other thread that got locked.
    You dont understand it is downloading 217,571 files
    i did 300mb and only got 1% meaning 300x99 = 29gb?
    plus on the discs there is a file for like 6gb and this is what happened after it does like 10014kb
    1. Closes then re-opens onto the a page where it says "Install Guild Wars 2"
    2. It opens the launcher where it says like over 200,000 files need to be installed from what i heard you only need to download 50,000 from dvd's?
    3. Wait 10 years for it to get to 1%

Yep they failed pretty hard & not even in the game yet lol.. most people get disks because they arent capable of downloading that type of size.. this games gonna far.
    Stay classy Anet.
    Last edited by Himora; 2012-08-28 at 04:22 PM.

Deleted
    You dont understand it is downloading 217,571 files
    i did 300mb and only got 1% meaning 300x99 = 29gb?
    plus on the discs there is a file for like 6gb and this is what happened after it does like 10014kb
    1. Closes then re-opens onto the a page where it says "Install Guild Wars 2"
    2. It opens the launcher where it says like over 200,000 files need to be installed from what i heard you only need to download 50,000 from dvd's?
    3. Wait 10 years for it to get to 1%
    The % is in the amount of files, not in the size of the whole chunk you need to download.

Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    The % is in the amount of files, not in the size of the whole chunk you need to download.
    it's an 8gig download after the installation from the DVD's, you are aware most people get the discs because they arent capable
    of download that type of size right? not everyone is from the US or UK with amazing internet.

I know of a few people already that will have to spend 2 months downloading even with the discs. and thats a big fail in my books.
    Last edited by Himora; 2012-08-28 at 04:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    /facepalm
    i go into my folder in my Program Files (x86) and the file size is 500mb

Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    it's an 8gig download after the installation from the DVD's, you are aware most people get the discs because they arent capable
    of download that type of size right? not everyone is from the US or UK with amazing internet.
    Multi-gig downloads after the initial install have become commonplace in the MMO industry. With the scale and graphics of most modern MMOs, DVDs can not hold all the data necessary and most people don't have Blu-Ray drives, even in the US/UK. This is not an ArenaNet specific problem - it's an industry issue.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 12:30 PM ----------

/facepalm
    i go into my folder in my Program Files (x86) and the file size is 500mb
    Because what you've downloaded are temporary files and won't appear there...

Quote Originally Posted by vicious796 View Post
    Multi-gig downloads after the initial install have become commonplace in the MMO industry. With the scale and graphics of most modern MMOs, DVDs can not hold all the data necessary and most people don't have Blu-Ray drives, even in the US/UK. This is not an ArenaNet specific problem - it's an industry issue.[COLOR="red"]
    Sorry but iv tried most mmo's released, NONE have required that type of download on launch day with the discs. the discs are generally there for people that cannot download that type of sizes...

Thanks for the warning. Will not buy DVD.

I know of a few people already that will have to spend 2 months downloading even with the discs. and thats a big fail in my books.
    Unfortunately, that's the nature of online games, especially games where the staff works on them from when they start creating the physical media until the actual launch. MMO's are notorious for this, as there are always last minute changes, tweaks, and adjustments being made, and there is last minute content to be put in.

I know it sucks for those without good internet connections, but that's part of how MMO's work. This even happens with a number of other games that will require you to download patches before playing online (or even before playing the game period).

Where are you getting this number from? I have heard from multiple people that it's only a 2.7GB download if you install from the DVD. I will test this as soon as I get home (need to install it on my laptop anyway). But as others have said, you can't expect an online game to not have updates (or for Anet to have stopped working on the game a month before release as that's when they had to deliver the DVD for production (it may have been even longer ago, that was purely hypothetical)). I think they've already patched 50+MB since Saturday mornings head start.

If you want no patches/downloads, than I'd suggest single player games/console games (yes some console games update, but you can solve that by not plugging it into the internet, it's not a REQUIREMENT to play)
    Last edited by zaphon; 2012-08-28 at 04:38 PM.

If you want no patches/downloads, than I'd suggest single player games/console games (yes some console games update, but you can solve that by not plugging it into the internet, it's not a REQUIREMENT to play)
    If the game was months old i would understand a constant stream of patching that would need to be downloaded after the initial release but on release day? with the game brand new? common. dont assume for a moment myself and the OP are the only people with below average internet speeds that were keen on playing this month... even with purchasing the disks (to avoid downloading the game / a heavy load)
    Last edited by Himora; 2012-08-28 at 05:07 PM.

If the game was months old i would understand a constant stream of patching that would need to be downloaded after the initial release but on release day? with the game brand new? common. dont assume for a moment myself and the OP are the only people with below average internet speeds that were keen on playing this month.
    Its a MMO there will be updates and patch's even on release day.
    Be happy that Anet is working on the MMO 24/7 fixing bugs and updating as they go along. Some people keep saying its 8gig download others 3gig so if someone can post a pic or link telling what it is then thats great.

Me personally i think the people are making a mountain out of a mole hill here.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

If the game was months old i would understand a constant stream of patching that would need to be downloaded after the initial release but on release day? with the game brand new? common. dont assume for a moment myself and the OP are the only people with below average internet speeds that were keen on playing this month... even with purchasing the disks (to avoid downloading the game / a heavy load)
    Did you REALLY expect Anet to stop development from the time the DVD had to be created to release? That's absurd.

Deleted
    Slow download? Unless your net is absolute horrible, or you waited untill launch day to actually download it, that is just BS, I downloaded and patched my client 3 days before the headstart, the entire thing took barely 3 hours, and my net is far from good.

Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Slow download? Unless your net is absolute horrible, or you waited untill launch day to actually download it, that is just BS, I downloaded and patched my client 3 days before the headstart, the entire thing took barely 3 hours, and my net is far from good.
    I agree with this im redownloading Guild Wars 2 now to get ready for me to get the game later *couldn't get it at release * and im getting 2MB-2.4MB a sec and the game came out today. my internet is not the best in the world and i only been downloading for about 20mins and im at 8%. i know some people have download caps and that dose suck but from what i have seen many times most of those caps is 10gig-15gig's a month unless ur using a cell phone*could be wrong about this just going on what i have seen posted*

Like i said earlier i think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

Edit: and as i finished this post i was at 10%.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-08-28 at 05:30 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    From what I understand, this guy has super slow connectivity (3g speeds, the screenshot from the last thread showed 45KBps (that's 0.35Mbps) and limited BW per month (which is not uncommon in other parts of the world)). Either way, I think part of the problem also might be the "minimum system requirements." It says "Broadband Internet Connection" which is unfortunately extremely vague, and includes technologies even slower than what the OP has (which probably are fine for playing, but you can't just ignore updates, which they seem to have done).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Me personally i think the people are making a mountain out of a mole hill here.
    That's pretty much this entire sub-forum in a nutshell, really. It happens all the time.

Outside of university campus internet, what other internet services still limit your monthly bandwidth? It's an archaic design that really needs to go.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

From what I understand, this guy has super slow connectivity (3g speeds, the screenshot from the last thread showed 45KBps (that's 0.35Mbps) and limited BW per month (which is not uncommon in other parts of the world)). Either way, I think part of the problem also might be the "minimum system requirements." It says "Broadband Internet Connection" which is unfortunately extremely vague, and includes technologies even slower than what the OP has (which probably are fine for playing, but you can't just ignore updates, which they seem to have done).
    I can't see how he has 3G speeds and yet only downloading at 45kbps. i am just using Broadband from my Cable provider and im not the only person on atm and im downloading guild wars 2 right now at 2MB-2.4MB a sec. maybe he needs to change his firewall or something cause 3G is faster then what i am running. my ISP label's my internet speed at 20MBS *i call BS on* and i download at 2MBS depending where i download from.

edit: also 45kbps is dile up speed. unless u mean 450kbps
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-08-28 at 05:39 PM.