Deleted

Can anyone explain to me the whole Grand Marshal/Warlord tittles?

In cata yeah re-introduced...
    But in vanilla... people were grinding their way through battlegrounds until their eyes bleed...

Some people say it was so constant and so dedicated... That having a few hour brake would result in 1 week slow down...

What exactly were the requirements?
    Last edited by mmocde15ca192d; 2012-08-29 at 09:25 AM.

Deleted
    dedicated BG farming with Premades were the best way. depending on server, anything from 10 to 18 hours of farming per day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxyEU View Post
    dedicated BG farming with Premades were the best way. depending on server, anything from 10 to 18 hours of farming per day
    still... not making bgs would result in reseting the title requirement?

It meant that you had to spend a huge amount of time playing BG's and scoring kills. If you scored 100 points and got a rank up next week you had to surpass your previous week and top it over, so you would need to score 100+, anything under the previous week and you weren't progressing in the ranking system. To top it off only 1 guy per month/server (not sure which one was it) could obtain the High Warlord / Grand Marshall.

As for playing time, i was netting about 6-14 hours of play time for about 6 months before i got to Marshal which was the 2nd highest rank you could obtain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodacz View Post
    You would fall behind if you dident keep up, aslong as you were the top of honor gained that week you would be fine, but if you started slacking even a little bit then others would pass you.

And only ONE PERSON could be Grand Marshal and High Warlord at any given time.(per server)

If you neglected your PvPing and you didn't play, then you did get demotions if it was a long period, otherwise it was a reset of the progression of your current rank

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxyEU View Post
    You would fall behind if you dident keep up, aslong as you were the top of honor gained that week you would be fine, but if you started slacking even a little bit then others would pass you.

And only ONE PERSON could be Grand Marshal and High Warlord at any given time.(per server)
    One Rank 1 person per week. If you made the rank, you kept the title.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    One Rank 1 person per week. If you made the rank, you kept the title.
    ye forgot to say that, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    it was based purely on how much honor you got each week compared to the rest of the people on your server. if you kept up with everyone or did better than most, you would get promoted. the most i could ever manage was commander (rank 11 of 14) and that was playing like 6 hours a day every day of the week. depending on the server, youd have to get something like 500k honor every week for like 10 weeks straight to get grand marshal (rank 14) which as others have said required someone to be playing your account literally 24/7.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been a while, but the gist if it was this:

There were 2 ladders (weekly and total). 1 was based on honor gained that week determined primarily by HK (higher ranked kills gave more honor). And 1 based on rating which was your running total. Each week, your rating decayed a fixed percentage. Rating was then awarded based on how well you did in the honor ladder. The person with the most honor that week received the most rating and each person after got less. Your total rating determined what PvP title/rank you got up to HWL/GM. HWL/GM had a minimum rating requirement (like the rest), plus you had to be the highest rated for your faction on that server.

EDIT: I used "honor" and "rating" to differentiate the 2 systems to make it easier to understand.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2012-08-30 at 04:48 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    As stated, it was based on the amount of honor you got in a given week. A guild on my server was actually dedicated to PvP, and had at least six Grand Marshals. They had a cap system set up for everyone to reach which would normally guarantee it for them.

My GM, who funny enough was a GM (Grand Marshal) on his mage from that time still has his weekly caps macro.

Oh, and on a side note, if you were going for GM you'd avoid world PvP like it was the plague. So much as ONE dishonorable kill could screw you over.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    But in vanilla... people were grinding their way through battlegrounds until their eyes bleed...

Some people say it was so constant and so dedicated... That having a few hour brake would result in 1 week slow down...

Lots and lots of time and luck. 1 DHK and you're out, competing against every other person on your faction, and honor was decreasing if you didn't pvp. It would be a cake walk today compared to the first version.

via forums and vent with the community. we had "caps" that needed to be met in order to continue onto the next rank at the end of the honor week, so when 1 of us was getting close we'd all have to chill out slightly so he'd move onto the next rank ((like nobody go over 1mill honor this week except Tom so he can rank!). some people were assholes for instance, and would "break cap", going over and screwing people that were waiting in line. regardless of how fiercely competitive we were, there was still a matter of lvl of respect for one another if we werent in the same HWL/GM "farming groups". we usually stuck to our own clicks, swapping people between one another here and there, but generally speaking to keep teamwork and strategy with everyone together.

but ya, the time requirements were pretty ridiculous, i almost got kicked off my scholarship cause my grades were dipping my senior year in college, lol but i managed to bring them back up to respectable A's/B's. back then, for example, AV games could last nearly 2 full 24hr days, haha. but we mostly stuck to WSG/AB just because they were quicker, and we'd either be going against the respective GM team, or a group of randoms that we would trash, hehe, in AV it was just too many good players against one another and the game would last forever, plus the objectives were a tad bit different back then.

hope that helps!
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-08-30 at 05:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    via forums and vent with the community. we had "caps" that needed to be met in order to continue onto the next rank at the end of the honor week, so when 1 of us was getting close we'd all have to chill out slightly so he'd move onto the next rank ((like nobody go over 1mill honor this week except Tom so he can rank!). some people were assholes for instance, and would "break cap", going over and screwing people that were waiting in line. regardless of how fiercely competitive we were, there was still a matter of lvl of respect for one another if we werent in the same HWL/GM "farming groups". we usually stuck to our own clicks, swapping people between one another here and there, but generally speaking to keep teamwork and strategy with everyone together.

but ya, the time requirements were pretty ridiculous, i almost got kicked off my scholarship cause my grades were dipping my senior year in college, lol but i managed to bring them back up to respectable A's/B's. back then, for example, AV games could last nearly 2 full 24hr days, haha. but we mostly stuck to WSG/AB just because they were quicker, and we'd either be going against the respective GM team, or a group of randoms that we would trash, hehe, in AV it was just too many good players against one another and the game would last forever, plus the objectives were a tad bit different back then.

hope that helps!
    I remember getting a whisper from the PvP guild on my server asking me to cool it once I got to Lieutenant General because I was messing up their standings. I pmuch ignored them and ground Warlord by myself and PM PuGs. I was 1 week from HWL when 2.0 dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I remember getting a whisper from the PvP guild on my server asking me to cool it once I got to Lieutenant General because I was messing up their standings. I pmuch ignored them and ground Warlord by myself and PM PuGs. I was 1 week from HWL when 2.0 dropped.
    ouch!

ya, we took it pretty serious on my server. i was a hardcore raider, but i also did the HWL grind, lucky for me i have a likeable personality so i was able to get in with the serious pvp guilds (at the time, who didnt want one of the only full t2-3 geared affliction locks on the server? lol), although tbh some of that grinding was done by others, lol i couldn't keep up at times with the raiding, fulltime college workload, etc.
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-08-30 at 07:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I got to Knight way back when and then just PvPed enough to stay at Knight. Which I'm glad I did that, Knight Lt., Knight Captain, etc.. In my opinion don't sound as good as plain old "Knight". Not until Commander and Field Marshall do I think the titles sound better than Knight, but getting up to those titles took months and months of grinding.

Used Knight for years until I earned Justicar/Battlemaster.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2012-08-30 at 04:46 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

It also pretty much depended on your server a lot. I got Warlord standing in AV spamming chain heal for hours on end but it was no where near as competitive because my server sucked balls. Remember back then there were no battlegroups so you fought against your server and your server only. queue times were terrible depending on what faction you were (less faction instant queues).

Since it was all relative though, if you were on a server that did very little PvP, like mine, then you could rank without selling your soul or having other people play your account. Granted I did that over the course of weeks, but that is what happens when you take a semester off in college after your girlfriend of 3 years dumps you...