Page 1 of 110
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Warlock] Soloing Old Content

This thread contains pretty much all discussion centered on soloing old content in the Mists of Pandaria expansion.

A small guide made by the awesome Dr.Wuky who is also responsible for the spreadsheet showing what has been done by warlocks linked at the bottom of the article.

If you want to jump into the discussion from the moment the spreadsheet was introduced you should start here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post19949282

The Warlock Solo Thread by Dr.Wuky

This guide focuses on the soloing aspect of the warlock class, so you should know all basic info about the warlock class and their specializations.

- Specialization

It is very important to understand that Affliction is at the moment the strongest soloing specialization of our three specializations. Most of you will ask 'why?' - The answer is: Affliction destroyes our other specializations in terms of pet heal (without sacrificing much dps).

Basics

Curse of the Elements - This ability increases all magical damage taken of the target that is afflicted by Curse of the Elements by 5%.
    Curse of Enfeeblement - This ability decreases physical damage done of the target that is afflicted by Curse of Enfeeblement by 10%. Also increases the casting time of all spells by 50%.
    Demonic Circle - Teleports you to your Demonic Circle (40 yards range).
    Demonic Gateway - This ability will reset your threat against all targets.
    Health Funnel - Sacrifices 2% of your maximum health to restore 6% of your pets maximum health every second.
    Healthstone - Restores 20% of your maximum health.
    Soulshatter - This ability will will reduce your threat against all targets within 50 yards by 90%.
    Twilight Ward - Absorbs incoming Shadow or Holy damage.
    Unending Resolve - Reduces all damage taken by 40% and preventing that you can be interrupted or silenced for 8 sec.

Pet Abilities

Please note that our Voidlord (or Voidwalker) is our pet of choice in 99.9% of all encounters.

Voidwalker ( Voidlord)
    The Voidlord has more health then the Voidwalker and he will do 20% more damage then his weaker counterpart.

Disarm - Disarms your target for 8 sec.
    Shadow Bulwark - Grants the Voidwalker/Voidlord 30% of their maximum health for 20 sec.
    Shadow Shield - Reduces all physical damage taken of the Voidwalker by 60% for 30 sec - But each time the Voidwalker is struck, the damage reduction effect of Shadow Shield will be reduced by 20% (Same mechanic as the DK Bone Shield). This ability is called Void Shield on the Voidlord and will reduce all damage taken by 60% instead of physical damage only.
    Suffering - Taunt. Doesn't work on Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria encounters.
    Threatening Presence - Threat generation is increased.
    Torment - Single target damage ability.

Affliction

Curse of Exhaustion - Reduces the target's movement speed by 30%.
    Soulburn - Consumes a Soul Shard, unlocking the hidden power of your spells.
    Soulburn: Summon Demon - Instantly summons a demon but all summoning spells now have 60 sec cooldown.
    Soulburn: Health Funnel - Instantly restores 36% health of your pet (without sacrificing your health) and reduces damage taken of your pet by 30% for 10 sec. This ability is very important for soloing.
    Drain Soul - Use Drain Soul above 20% if you need extra Soul Shards to heal your pet.

Demonology

Demonic Rebirth - If your pet dies, you can summon instantly a now one (2 min cooldown).

Destruction

Ember Tap - Restores 15% (increased by mastery) of your maximum health.
    Flames of Xoroth - Instantly revives your last demon.

- Talents

Use Soul Leech if there is constant damage incoming or if the encounter has a +damage taken effect. Otherwise use Dark Regeneration.

Use Mortal Coil while soloing or Shadowfury if a stun is required.

Use Soul Link as Destruction. You can absorb incoming Soul Link damage with your Twilight Ward. Affliction and Demology: Use Sacrificial Pact, if you have to absorb amounts of incoming damage more then every 3 min, otherwise use Dark Bargain, or use it if you need extra dps time during berserk.

Use Unbound Will. You won't use it in most encounters, but you can dispel yourself with it and free you and your pet out of loss of character effects.

Use Grimoire of Supremacy.

Use Kil'jaeden's Cunning.

- Glyphs

Required Glyphs

Glyph of Siphon Life - Your Corruption or Immolate spells will heal you for 20% of the damage dealt.
    Glyph of Burning Embers (Destruction) - Increases your maximum Burning Embers by 1.
    Glyph of Soul Shards (Affliction) - Increases your maximum Soul Shards by 1.

Optional Glyphs

Glyph of Curse of Exhaustion (Affliction) - Curse of Exhaustion now reduces the targets movement speed by 70%, lasts half as long and has a 10 second cooldown.
    Glyph of Demon Training - Increases your Voidwalker's/Voidlord's total armor by 10%. Use this Glyph if a boss hits like a truck.
    Glyph of Healthstone - You receive 100% more healing from using a healthstone, but the health is restored over 10 sec. Use this Glyph if you need extra healing on yourself.
    Glyph of Soul Consumption - Your Drain Soul (Affliciton) and Chaos Bolt (Destruction) restores 20% of your total health after you kill a target that yields experience or honor (in Demon Form - Demonology). Use this Glyph if there are many targets that you can easily finish.
    Glyph of Gateway Attunement (Minor) - Your Demonic Gateway will automatically activate when you step near it. This Glyph will make your life easier.

- Basic Gameplay

Don't let your pet die! If your pet dies (or you let it die on purpose) summon a new one and use your Demonic Gateway or Soul Shatter to reset your threat. Use Curse of Enfeeblement if there is massive damage taken on the pet, otherwise use Curse of the Elements. Negate incoming damage as much as possible (through your Talents, Unending Resolve, Healthstone, Twilight Ward).

Affliction

Use your Soul Shards for Soulburn: Health Funnel if the boss hits hard. Use Drain Soul above 20% if you need more Soul Shards to heal your pet.

Demonology

Don't play Demonology to solo bosses (The only exception at the moment is Hagara the Stormbinder in Dragon Soul).

Destruction

Use every Burning Ember for Ember Tap if there is too much damage incoming and don't forget to absorb Soul Link damage with your Twilight Ward!

- List of soloed bosses

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...PNzlMR3c#gid=0
    [I]You can find video links of some encounters if you mouseover the green 'done' box. There are also some informations and explanations in the info box. Please note that there are many encounters without informations at the moment - it isn't completed yet. If you have soloed a boss that hasn't been done yet, just reply to this thread or write me a PM. Dr.Wuky's profile Dr Wuky stopped updating the spreadsheet so we've now got a public version. Don't edit it if you've not posted your kills in this thread for review! We need to know if it was done legit, and in a reproducable way.

The original starting post, now obsolete, but for completeness sake and posterity:

Heya

Pre-patch I was doing alright. Soloed most TBC raid content, minus Gruul's Lair, SWP and something I cannot for the life of me remember. Have soloed Sarth, KT/Naxx, Malygos, a few bosses in VoA, etc..

But I'm having um "issues" now. I cannot for the life of me seem to be able to solo KT, which is really the only boss worth it for the mount minus VoA. Has anybody tried since the patch went Live? I've tried Affliction, both Sac and Supremacy with Soul Link and for whatever reason I'm either being MC'd even though the pet isn't attacking (used to leave it on passive and silenced KT whenever I could before). I've tried Demo but honestly, I've never much touched the spec except the rare occasion to screw around so maybe I'm missing something for this...

Any advice?
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-05-16 at 02:16 AM.

I think KT is just broken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno. Boomkin friend of mine soloed it last night one-shotting it so it should be possible somehow.

I haven't tried it on my lock, because it is so much easier on a hunter, but it should definitely be possible. It was doable before the patch and now it should be much easier with all the utility we got, not to mention voidwalker became a better tank. I imagine you could even do it without leaving the room and tanking him behind a pillar to los the MC as demo with an upgraded voidwalker, healing, dotting and killing phoenixes.

just did onixia a few min ago, easy to solo

10+ Year Old Account
    Ony is a tad different than KT encounter. Much easier imo than this crapshoot I've been trying to figure out. =P

Reading more, seems like people are saying they raised his hp by 1.5m. No more resists in game so damage isn't being resisted, partially or whatnots and MC's 100% if there's anything else around... Now need to re-figure out how to get through this fight all over again.

since i'm a realy lazy person i go for the easy mode, wait till mop is out lvl to 90, sac my pet (since he schoudn't mc when nothing is there) and simply kill him in a few globals ^^

Deleted
    Like I said in the other thread, Kael'thas is really easy as destro (I went Soul Leech/Mortal Coil/Soul Link/BR/Grimoire of Sacrifice).
    In P4 GoSac the felhunter to gain Spell Lock, and use Ember Tap to heal yourself. Build 4 Embers in P1 (kiting 2 advisors at the entrance, Capernian in between and Telonicus near KT's room), everything goes down very quickly in P2/P3 (I've 401 ilvl gear).
    You can't do KT as Demo since last patch, you'll be MCed even with GoSac because of the Wild Imps procs.
    And by Demo I mean GoSac Demo.
    Last edited by mmoc79b51183ff; 2012-08-31 at 07:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysen View Post
    You can't do KT as Demo since last patch, you'll be MCed even with GoSac because of the Wild Imps procs.
    False information.

I did KT five minutes ago as demo. Just hide behind the pillar in MC-phase while keeping corruption and doom up on KT.
    ???
    Collect epics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shienna View Post
    False information.

I did KT five minutes ago as demo. Just hide behind the pillar in MC-phase while keeping corruption and doom up on KT.
    ???
    Collect epics.
    It's not false information, he will MC you even if you're the main target. But of course the Line of Sight trick still works.
    I should have said "You can't do KT as GoSac Demo since last patch" but you get my point.
    Anyway it's way quicker as destro.
    Last edited by mmoc79b51183ff; 2012-08-31 at 07:38 AM.

Like I said in the other thread, Kael'thas is really easy as destro (I went Soul Leech/Mortal Coil/Soul Link/BR/Grimoire of Sacrifice).
    In P4 GoSac the felhunter to gain Spell Lock, and use Ember Tap to heal yourself. Build 4 Embers in P1 (kiting 2 advisors at the entrance, Capernian in between and Telonicus near KT's room), everything goes down very quickly in P2/P3 (I've 401 ilvl gear).
    Definitely gonna have to take a go at this tonight. Been wanting to solo KT for ages.

You'll have to do it the same way as hunters have always did, hide behind a pillar while pet is tanking (or command your pet behind a pillar while you are tanking) and after KT yells "Bow to my will" or something similar, then he has tried MC and you got 30sec+ to nuke it with your pet.

I havent soloed before on warlock and would like to solo few bosses in ulduar for the t8 set, which spec would be best for this? Demo (with the glyph?) or affli?

Would affli with soul leech and soul link be a good sort of "drain tanking" spec?
    Last edited by Musta Kyy; 2012-08-31 at 12:48 PM.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    You'll have to do it the same way as hunters have always did, hide behind a pillar while pet is tanking (or command your pet behind a pillar while you are tanking) and after KT yells "Bow to my will" or something similar, then he has tried MC and you got 30sec+ to nuke it with your pet.
    Or just go Destro-GoSac and nuke the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    I havent soloed before on warlock and would like to solo few bosses in ulduar for the t8 set, which spec would be best for this? Demo (with the glyph?) or affli?

Would affli with soul leech and soul link be a good sort of "drain tanking" spec?
    You don't want to drain-tank as affli. Your pet (voidlord) will be a far better tank. Affliction-Void Lord is quite fun, you can do a lot of burst healing with Soul Burn+ Health Funnel cause it has no cooldown (so don't use Haunt ofc). Also, a Soulburned Health Funnel can crit, which is always good when it happens
    Dark Apotheosis Demo works too, but it's not as good as it was on (early) beta :x

Too soon for me to decide which is the best (and I doubt there's one, it depends on the fight), there's lots of different specs/talents that do well now, and I'm glad it's that way.
    Last edited by mmoc79b51183ff; 2012-08-31 at 01:45 PM.

You don't want to drain-tank as affli. Your pet (voidlord) will be a far better tank. Affliction-Void Lord is quite fun, you can do a lot of burst healing with Soul Burn+ Health Funnel cause it has no cooldown (so don't use Haunt ofc). Also, a Soulburned Health Funnel can crit, which is always good when it happens
    Dark Apotheosis Demo works too, but it's not as good as it was on (early) beta :x

Too soon for me to decide which is the best (and I doubt there's one, it depends on the fight), there's lots of different specs/talents that do well now, and I'm glad it's that way.
    Okay, thanks for the tips.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    How to you nuke the weapons as destruction? Rain of fire + brimstone incinerate? Also, has anyone done onyxia as non demo?
    Last edited by Livevil; 2012-08-31 at 02:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Livevil View Post
    How to you nuke the weapons as destruction? Rain of fire + brimstone incinerate?
    Yeah with Infernal, FaB, RoF, with the Felhunter GoSac to interrupt the mace's heal. Build 4 embers in P1. Just be careful not being spell locked by the shield.
    Last edited by mmoc79b51183ff; 2012-08-31 at 02:26 PM.

How to you nuke the weapons as destruction? Rain of fire + brimstone incinerate? Also, has anyone done onyxia as non demo?
    I gave onyxia a go with affliction last night takes a bit of practice to get a handle on how to do things, but once you do that your golden. You need glyph of siphon life, harvest life, dark bargain, and voidlord. Use the voidlord to tank, keep dots rolling, and health funnel as needed. On add phase cast SB:SoC, pop DB so you don't get killed before corruption healing kicks in and then harvest life.
    Last edited by alexw; 2012-08-31 at 03:23 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did you manage to kill all the whelps just with corruption and harvest life?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's really great news if Destro can do it. Have never thought about it to solo KT so will be checking it out later today. TY!

Did you manage to kill all the whelps just with corruption and harvest life?
    yes. But depending on gear you might need to use dark soul or SB:SoC a second time.