Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Leveling Monk Heirloom

Is the new 2h heirloom staff better than two heirloom maces for Monk leveling?

I was wondering that also. I haven't done much theory crafting on Monk, but I assume we could use all leather agi gear + staff.

From some of the most current testing i have seen is they are doing everything they can to make it you choice on weapon, meaning almost 0 change in output from DW to 2h.

Also keep in mind you have use the Dal Rend sword even though it says "main hand" it can also be used in off hand i have tested this personally.

i am gonna run around with the pair of sword maces and the 2h agi staff just to see if i feel/see any difference. If i find none i will prolly play WW with a 2h simply because its less weapons to find and fight other people for.

Everything that I've seen up to this point says either will do for leveling. Personally, I'm going with Burnished Warden Staff and mogging it to Novice's Staff asap.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-08-31 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis003 View Post
    From some of the most current testing i have seen is they are doing everything they can to make it you choice on weapon, meaning almost 0 change in output from DW to 2h.

Also keep in mind you have use the Dal Rend sword even though it says "main hand" it can also be used in off hand i have tested this personally.

i am gonna run around with the pair of sword maces and the 2h agi staff just to see if i feel/see any difference. If i find none i will prolly play WW with a 2h simply because its less weapons to find and fight other people for.
    Plus polearms are AWESOME.

well... u can always enchant the 1h agi maces with +15agi, so thats 30 extra agi... could make a difference to the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyros View Post
    well... u can always enchant the 1h agi maces with +15agi, so thats 30 extra agi... could make a difference to the staff.
    i was looking at that... the 5 more agi you get with teh maces is better at the VERY low end but it quickly loses out to the staff.

what keep me thinking sword is i have a "Hanzo Sword" for moggin swords just for my monk

Also depends on what you're leveling as. The general idea I've gotten is that dual-wield is better for WW, 2H is better for BM. I plan on going BM, so I'll be picking up the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Deipfryde View Post
    Also depends on what you're leveling as. The general idea I've gotten is that dual-wield is better for WW, 2H is better for BM. I plan on going BM, so I'll be picking up the staff.
    they recently change tiger strikes in the WW tree from 10% to 8% which basically removed any real difference between DW an 2h. As far as Brew went they were always pretty close. GC has stated he wants it to be a preference thing not one being better then the other.

For the first 20 levels the staff definitely is preferable
    Last edited by Tunedbeats; 2012-08-31 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunedbeats View Post
    For the first 20 levels the staff definitely is preferable
    Not necessarily. Yeah, for the first 10 levels the staff would be better, but for 10-20, the maces would be, due to the +15 agility enchant. You'd have 1 on the staff, 2 on each mace. At that low level, 15-30 agility is a decent difference. Once you blow through those levels though, you kill stuff too quick to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekerdud View Post
    Not necessarily. Yeah, for the first 10 levels the staff would be better, but for 10-20, the maces would be, due to the +15 agility enchant. You'd have 1 on the staff, 2 on each mace. At that low level, 15-30 agility is a decent difference. Once you blow through those levels though, you kill stuff too quick to notice.
    staff enchant is 25 agi... 1h enchant is 15... by the time you are 20 the staff should have made up the agi differene

I don't think monks can actually dual wield until level 20, that's why i mentioned it.

No, they can DW at 10, as soon as you pick WW or BM.

My understanding is that DW has a slight edge for BMs, as it's less susceptible to Elusive Brew stacks falling off due to bad RNG.

Not that there is anything challenging in 1-80 for it to matter at all, I'm sure you could tank with a vendor white weapon and do fine. If you're going to be stuck DWing for the rest of your career at 90 nobody will mind you using a staff for a bit, especially not one as steeped in tanking history as the Warden Staff.

well if the polearm wasn't 3500 justice points, i'd buy it, but as i already have 2xheirloom maces (which i've had since wotlk) i'm just gonna go dual wield.

if i was gonna level more than just a monk (my account is already full on my home realm) it might be worth getting the polearm, but just for levelling 1 toon when i already have perfectly acceptable heirlooms available just seems like a waste. would be cool to transmog into some awesome staves to level with i guess, but not worth it. i'll just get him to 90 then worry about transmog.

i also did some low level dungeons on my monk dual wielding - went fine, in fact, it was pretty OP. so in terms of polearm Vs dual maces, i dont think it really makes much difference other than visual fighting style
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by Jekerdud View Post
    No, they can DW at 10, as soon as you pick WW or BM.
    Ah ofcourse, my bad

10+ Year Old Account
    Darkside of the rock, at the bottom of your garden
    Some people will use +15 agility on the Dw sword/ mace front, or +25 on the staff, for me personally i`ll be using Crusader on both my maces (my shamies old weapons)
    http://www.wowdb.com/items/38873-enc...eapon-crusader

Although i might just buy the staff for dps off spec- anyone done any theory craft on the dps stick wielders ?

If you are leveling BM, crusader isn't necessary. You can stay alive real easy. At level 45 I was pulling 4-6 mobs at a time. Just keep Zen Sphere up, use Expel Harm on CD, and AoE like mad. If you level undead (to bypass the long time it'll take in the panda zone), you have the self heal from the new racial as well, which seems to proc a lot.

Last I heard, it was Brewmasters = 2H, Windwalkers = dual wield.

Either that or you can choose what you do. I'm going 2 hander, purely because I hate the endless MISS MISS DODGE MISS MISS PARRY PARRY MISS DODGE MISS bullshit.