Tough to play melee PVP because of input lag?

Anyone experience input delays where your char performs the action half second after you press the key?

Is it true that WoW avoids this with client-side animation RESPONSES thus always "appearing" responsive? Perhaps GW2 should adopt this as well.

EDIT: I emphasize clientside animation RESPONSES. That is, you press a button, and your char immediately does the animation for that attack despite any lag, however, it may not register on the game server until a second later. Thus, it appears as tho gameplay is smooth/responsive all the time.

The benefit of this is even if you have lag, you can atleast still put on some music, enter a BG and start having fun pretending you are pwning with no lag. Sometimes its not about winning, but just experiencing the smooth combat.
    Last edited by werewasmmw; 2012-08-31 at 07:27 PM.

Not sure if you're talking about server lag or something else, but WoW doesn't solve this by having "client-side animations" because the server still has to acknowledge the action and relay that acknowledgement to the client (that's why you have instances where you're on top of someone but can't attack them in WoW).

When I'm not experiencing server lag, I haven't noticed any issues with ability responsiveness, but the servers are laggy as they've been under some serious pressure since launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    In general, in any online game, if you're lagging, melee is impossible. That's just the way it is.

When I'm not lagging, however, the combat in GW2 is quite responsive.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-31 at 07:16 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't see your game so can't determine if it's lag or the character playing out the animation of the attack, and you not being adjusted yet. If you're used to wow's style it can seem slow.

Because there are no casting bars in gw2 so people need to rely on watching your animations to counter your abilities. That's why they are exaggerated / slowed. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll get over it. XD
    Last edited by Snow White; 2012-08-31 at 07:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have noticed that my abilities, skills, whatchamacallits, in GW2 seem "squishier" at times. Taking longer than I expect to fire off basically. Occasionally by even a couple of seconds. I chalked it up to the server being hammered and moved on. It never lasts long but I could see how it could be nerve wracking in PvP. Then again, I'm holding off on PvP anyway until the population settles.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

No lag here, at all.
    Strange though my friend has serious lag in his zone, but im playing perfectly in another zone Desolation EU.

It depends on the zone and even the server. The lag you are describing is because them servers are overloaded with release population. Its probably the reason why they stopped digital sales in the first place.

I dont know. The lag is there sometimes be melee or ranged, and it's really obvious that by being melee standing in one place for too long or even not being able to complete your combo disrupts everything more than what I ranged would feel. But then again with no lag the melee are essentially high risk / high reward.

In the end I think it's tough to play melee regardless of the lag. Everyone loses with lag haha, but since without lag the melee already is high risk it's safe to assume it's a higher risk when the lag is involved.

I really think arenanet needs to fix this issue with their coding. being a huge melee PVP player in various MMO's i can say this is by far the most crucial thing to enjoyable melee PVP: COMBAT MUST BE RESPONSIVE.

please arenanet take a look at how WoW does this making their combat appear so responsive to the client despite pings of 250+.

basically now the input lag is like in Counter-strike where the animations are delayed. The thing is that some ppl use this to compensate by timing their shooting by say, shooting a few centimeters ahead of the direction a enemy is moving.

But thit is not good for a third person fast paced PVP game. i would rather my character APPEAR responsive than have gameplay feel frustratingly awkward.

Some say just fix your lag, but not all of us have super high speed i-internet and with World PVP being laggier by nature I think arenanet needs to look into implementing some new code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by werewasmmw View Post
    I really think arenanet needs to fix this issue with their coding. being a huge melee PVP player in various MMO's i can say this is by far the most crucial thing to enjoyable melee PVP: COMBAT MUST BE RESPONSIVE.

please arenanet take a look at how WoW does this making their combat appear
    GW2 combat is different from WoW combat.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    GW2 combat is different from WoW combat.
    Indeed. In GW2, your CD will go off even if you don't actually hit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Indeed. In GW2, your CD will go off even if you don't actually hit?
    In GW2, you can use your ability without having a target, or anybody in range. Means you can't just spam the button!

I seem to have this problem every now and then too. Not sure why, and it doesnt happen often, but it does happen.