Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fake arenanet mails?

Has anyone else gotten an email recently saying that someone has requested to change ur GW2 account email? I dont even have GW2 but i got 2 mails today saying that someone has tried to change my account email...

Deleted
    It's the same thing with every online game launch; "hackers" sit on your e-mail (and in some cases even password) till a new game releases and go nuts when it does.

Deleted
    Yeah, just mark it as spam and move on. Did so this morning.

Deleted
    Welcome to the multi-billion dollar hack peoples gaming accounts industry.

I bet the email you got this spam is the same email you registered here in mmo champion right? mmo champion registered accounts email data base was stolen or sold. thats why when you make a new email and register here, you get a spam related to wow/d3/gw2 and others mmo's.
    Now you know how spamers got your email on their spaming/scaming list.
    Arenajunkies has this problem too.
    Last edited by ducklino; 2012-09-01 at 09:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The e-mail links don't appear to be fake, I don't have an account either though, and still received one. I really can't remember if I had one for beta though, a long time ago. Best is to not click on the links, because if you did ever have an account, then you'll obviously lock yourself from it. They can't get your e-mail pass without a proper rootkit keylogger anyway, even then AV's will pick it up.

Funnier still is the fact that I tried logging to guildwars2.com, they had no recover password option. And their forums are down for over a week. O_o
    Last edited by Vargur; 2012-09-01 at 09:50 AM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ducklino View Post
    Now you know how spamers got your email on their spaming/scaming list.
    Actually it's far more likely it was due to Blizzard being hacked and their user email database stolen a few weeks ago.

---------- Post added 2012-09-01 at 07:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Funnier still is the fact that I tried logging to guildwars2.com, they had no recover password option.
    They temporarily removed the recover password option because hackers with the afore mentioned Blizzard email list were using it to send password rest authorisations.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-09-01 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Actually it's far more likely it was due to Blizzard being hacked and their user email database stolen a few weeks ago.
    So you believe that chinese hackers that broke a multi-million dollar company security like blizzard wont break a silly fan-base website like this one? I hope you are not saying that mmo champion database is safer than blizzard; because if you are... lol.
    The email i use here for mmo champion; i received my first wow pishing spam few days after registering here. I made only for this website and never used for anything else.

Theres a youtube interview with a big shot from gold selling industry saying that 90% of the pishing accounts came from hacked database from fan-sites. Because most of people have 1 password for everything, i will see if i can find the interview again.
    Last edited by ducklino; 2012-09-01 at 10:17 AM.

Deleted
    Ok, let's make this clear:
    -the mails are real, but they're sent by hackers/phishers.
    -the hackers/phishers got your e-mail and then went to the GW2 site, then clicked something like "forgat password" or something
    -so the service bot sent you a link asking you if you allow the new password since "you" forgat the last one (you actually being the hacker/phisher, not the true you)
    -you click it and presto, the hacker/phisher now has a password to your account.

So, bottom line, DO NOT CLICK IT. Because it's a manner of phishing you. The phishers just thought on how to do so using the ArenaNet service bot.

Deleted
    Dont have them , but when i do ofcourse i wont click them
    i did however got a runescape one never touched that game haha
    Last edited by mmoce3c3da46cf; 2012-09-01 at 12:10 PM.

They're not fake. Why they're being sent out, I don't know.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    everyone should discard their authenticators and switch all passwords to 12345. No point in resisting, you will be assimilated.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Deleted
    This is not Anets fault it's totally the customers fault tbh.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    They temporarily removed the recover password option because hackers with the afore mentioned Blizzard email list were using it to send password rest authorisations.
    Do you have a source for this ?

15+ Year Old Account
    I got that mail, even though I don't have a GW2 account.
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

Quote Originally Posted by malkara View Post
    I got that mail, even though I don't have a GW2 account.
    Ditto It's the oddest thing I have ever seen.

I now got a authorize login attempt email. I've gotten several of the requested password change ones also.
    Saying some guy is trying to log in my account.

Address: 119.123.241.37
    City: Shenzhen
    Region: 30

Thanks for telling me right away your in china, dude.
    Last edited by wombinator04; 2012-09-01 at 12:46 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

---------- Post added 2012-09-01 at 07:54 PM ----------

Ironically, the e-mail associated with blizzard is completely different from the E-mail i received from arenanet, which IS the e-mail I signed up with to MMO-champion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan007 View Post
    Do you have a source for this ?
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...day_august_29/

Account security - We're seeing an uptick in reports of account theft and attempted account theft. We believe hackers are using databases of email addresses and passwords stolen from other games and web sites, and pre-existing trojan horses, to search for matching Guild Wars 2 accounts which they attempt to compromise. To prevent this, we have temporarily disabled the "reset password" feature, and we're working to bring email authentication online. To protect yourself, please ensure that you use a unique password for Guild Wars 2 that you don't use for any other game, email account, forum or web account.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing in their regarding the Blizzard incident.