Spriest - Why is crit>mastery?

I've seen a few mentions of Spriest stat priority being haste > crit > mastery.

Can someone explain why this is so? With our new mastery being essential a crit with additional chance for procs I thought it would be slightly better than crit.

The only thing I can think of is roll priority eg: spell cast > roll for hit > roll for crit > roll for mastery

Is my example even how the game works? I have a nagging feeling that it isn't.

Modern games don't use consecutive rolls, they normally use one single roll with all possible outcomes.
    It's not about that even, mastery scales faster yet not all of our damage scales with mastery. That's the general reason behind it.

We can wait for Twintop to pop out and give us a lecture about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celentes View Post
    Modern games don't use consecutive rolls, they normally use one single roll with all possible outcomes.
    Cheers, I thought it might have been like that. Does that also mean that you can't have a mastery proc with a crit? If so then mastery would devalue as our crit rises, and I can't see that happening. I'm assuming that there must be a secondary roll for mastery, or I'm missing something obvious (like the fact that not all of our dmg comes from dots lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Celentes View Post
    It's not about that even, mastery scales faster yet not all of our damage scales with mastery. That's the general reason behind it.
    This, sort of. Crit affects everything; Mastery doesn't affect Mindblast, Mind Spike or the instant damage portion of Devouring plague.

Haste is still the *best stat* until a certain breakpoint. Once you're there though, it's all about Crit, for the reasons Celentes described.
    Last edited by Venaliter; 2012-09-04 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venaliter View Post
    This, sort of. Crit affects everything; Mastery doesn't affect Mindblast, Mind Spike or the instant damage portion of Devouring plague.

Haste is still the *best stat* until a certain breakpoint. Once you're there though, it's all about Crit, for the reasons Celentes described.
    Mastery does affect FDCL mind spike, by creating more procs. However, it's somewhat different kind of scaling. I'm not sure it is the same, since MS replaces MF globals, which are affected by mastery in a more straightforward manner. I've a feeling that it skews weights towards crit a bit more, but I'm too lazy to get the actual data myself, at least while there are people like Twintop around doing that job for everyone.

Deleted
    am quite new to sp whats the breakpoint for haste?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortaz View Post
    am quite new to sp whats the breakpoint for haste?
    8085 at 90, at 85 there's a few... 2437 or 3031 I think (just going with the numbers in my head, have not checked the guides/math)
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    8085 at 90, at 85 there's a few... 2437 or 3031 I think (just going with the numbers in my head, have not checked the guides/math)
    3051 for the second one, not sure about the first one because I always forget it too.