Poll: Have you been suspended or do you know anyone who has been suspended in GW2 ?

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Yes, I base my judgement of the cooking exploit on what ArenaNet have had to say about it. They say it was an unintended benefit to the player. Whether they mean it should not have been possible to begin with or that the player recived more coin than they should have when selling to the vendor, I cannot say as I am not ArenaNet nor do I work for them. In the end, though, they have said that that player did was not intended by them. Being that they designed the game, if they say that this was not intended by them in the first place, that is good enough for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hatsune View Post
    Pass the word on comrades. Make sure new and current and potential players know what Anet is doing with their crazy bans so they can make an informed decision if they want to get in for whatever reason
    Amen brother, spread the word near and far that, if you're one of the ones who thinks its okay because you believe everyone else would do it too. Then this may not be the game for you.

Its not your decision to make on whether its an exploit or not. Its Arena Net's. If that's a major issue for you then, save your dough, save the queue, and save them the bother of banning you.

Make up whatever behavior you think is satisfactory. Its not going to change the developer's policy. If you doubt it, report it, and play on through. Arena Net, like every other developer, will decide if that's what they intended for you.

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

When I make a new character I usually see a few people with inappropriate names. Bigdlck Poopsalot or something similar.

I level up a bit and I stop seeing these kinds of names.

I wonder where they disappeared to?

best secret to keep "Don't be a Troll and you won't get banned" there you go guys! hope you follow this and don't get banned :P

If you doubt it, report it, and play on through. Arena Net, like every other developer, will decide if that's what they intended for you.
    I do not know about every other developer but I can safely say Blizzard does not ban on reasons they are not willing to explain the rationale behind and defend.

To this day neither Anet nor the playerbase have been able to give a reasonable explanation why vendoring peppers is bannable when other similar conversion rate craft vendoring is not. Anet has declined to explain and made comments that it will do so at a future undetermined time (if ever). Throughout this thread, it has been surmised that perhaps it was too high but it was only 50% or so more efficient than other similar conversion rates. There has been no real consensus amongst us that it was a means of unfair exchange simply for being that few more coppers per pepper. If we use Anet's definition for exploit, there needs to be a clear sign of unfair advantage and it is just not being shown here in this thread or in any of the pepper discussions.

Its not about if other people do it, its about the credibility of the people in charge. Yes that is a major issue to me. The credibility and transparency of the people in charge make or break games. Especially when we play in their sandbox. If Anet thinks they can ban without defending their bans credibly and hide behind their EULA "I am Bossu" cloak, then they will face criticism from some parts of the playerbase. It is probably best if more potential or current players know about this.
    Last edited by hatsune; 2012-09-04 at 08:13 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    ... clearly not in line with the design of the game
    How am I suppose to know the design of the game ? Am I part of the design team now ? I'm just paid to have fun and not overly think ... now I have to think about all my actions ? I do this in real life already .... my games are to escape from real life temporarily

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Symplectic here.

The most deceptive and relentless factoid in this thread is that ANet did the right thing here because they are taking a firm stand against cheaters. But they have done no such thing. They've given a tough-guy talk about how seriously they take the "integrity" of the game, yet have let botters off with nothing more than a wrist slap and flip-flopped on banning people who they have publicly demonized as being douches and exploiters on twitter and reddit, showing an utter lack of conviction -- cowardice. So given that you and many others still believe this hypocritical lie really does mean that you've been snookered, no matter how corny you say that word sounds.
    Aren't you that guy who kept raving and repeating ad hominem arguments and copy-pasting shit in that Kripp banning thread in the Diablo 3 forum?

There is a phrase that describes you perfectly, you know: "a raving lunatic."
    Last edited by Boddlegoulash; 2012-09-04 at 01:53 PM.

I love the poll options, because you know, the people not being banned are the immature children.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not know about every other developer but I can safely say Blizzard does not ban on reasons they are not willing to explain the rationale behind and defend.

To this day neither Anet nor the playerbase have been able to give a reasonable explanation why vendoring peppers is bannable when other similar conversion rate craft vendoring is not. Anet has declined to explain and made comments that it will do so at a future undetermined time (if ever). Throughout this thread, it has been surmised that perhaps it was too high but it was only 50% or so more efficient than other similar conversion rates. There has been no real consensus amongst us that it was a means of unfair exchange simply for being that few more coppers per pepper. If we use Anet's definition for exploit, there needs to be a clear sign of unfair advantage and it is just not being shown here in this thread or in any of the pepper discussions.

Its not about if other people do it, its about the credibility of the people in charge. Yes that is a major issue to me. The credibility and transparency of the people in charge make or break games. Especially when we play in their sandbox. If Anet thinks they can ban without defending their bans credibly and hide behind their EULA "I am Bossu" cloak, then they will face criticism from some parts of the playerbase. It is probably best if more potential or current players know about this.
    I personally would only have vendored enough peppers until I didn't gain exp from crafting them anymore. Or maybe less than that, depending on how unusual the price was.

You have to consider that, in regards to the karma weapon exploit, people were only banned at all if they bought more than 40 karma weapons. Which, you surely must recognize, is an unusual number of weapons to buy in the normal course of play. You're unlikely to need 40 swords that are all alike, and you probably can't even fit that many in your bags, which means you buy a handful and sell/salvage a handful and repeat.

They probably looked at this crafting exploit thing in much the same way. They only took action if those involved went to a rather ludicrous extreme in regards to how much they did.

If something looks suspiciously priced, or rather looks to be a "really good deal" and you think you could take advantage of it... The smart thing to do is to put in a support ticket or send an e-mail to that exploits e-mail they have set up, maybe do a small handful of what you were thinking to do, and move on.
    You aren't going to be dramatically held back by not being able to make a ton of cash from one method, just because you decide to wait for a bit to see if it's considered an exploit by the devs or not.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-04 at 03:01 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you can't. WoW had plenty of growing pains, there was a constant flood of whining and gnashing of teeth. Remember the Honorocalypse? Years later Blizzard now does a pretty good job but have become far too lax in enforcement. They couldn't keep up so they mostly stopped trying too. Arena Net is not only still trying too but the game's main source of ongoing revenue relies on it. So they have a much bigger reason to be strict.

To this day neither Anet nor the playerbase have been able to give a reasonable explanation why vendoring peppers is bannable when other similar conversion rate craft vendoring is not.
    Nothing requires that they do. They decided the player was exploiting so they took action. The details may, or may not, be completely "honest" from either side and that's actually besides the point. Arena Net felt it was a shortcut they didn't want that player taking so they took action. Again, their house, their rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    What did the peppers actually DO anyways?

Because any food that I've actually crafted firsthand, I've kept, not vendored, because I found their buffs useful.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-04 at 03:20 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Kinda related to the current discussion. Looks like Kripp is getting banned .... again. LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering he only bought a handful of them, yeah, he ain't getting banned. :P

And as you can see from the video, for no reason. Dude was just trying to get a better helm, and ended up getting a chest? What is the guy supposed to do? either vender it or salvage it. Another bad call on the hands of Anet for nothing finishing their game and thinking every possible scenario through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkamedis View Post
    And as you can see from the video, for no reason. Dude was just trying to get a better helm, and ended up getting a chest? What is the guy supposed to do? either vender it or salvage it. Another bad call on the hands of Anet for nothing finishing their game and thinking every possible scenario through.
    He didn't get banned. He posted that video saying "amg don't ban me bro"

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Considering he only bought a handful of them, yeah, he ain't getting banned. :P
    Any idea on who this "Orange" guy that their talking about is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Any idea on who this "Orange" guy that their talking about is?
    It sounded like he said "Auron" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    He didn't get banned. He posted that video saying "amg don't ban me bro"
    And to make things clear I did say It looks like he's gonna get banned, not that he was banned.

Don't wanna start a flame war over this (-.-)
    Last edited by Demoncrash; 2012-09-04 at 03:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I don't know why anybody thinks he is. He only tried out a few things. Even if the price of something there is incredibly wrong, it's not like he bought 40 rebreathers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did he at least report it this time? Or was he too busy broadcasting it? I also find it telling that even though he was banned for exploiting, he is back in the game after the ban was up. So apparently it wasn't that big of a deal to him.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-09-04 at 04:08 PM.