Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Why are druid tanks so rare?

I have been running a lot of random instances as dps the last 2 months. By a lot I mean A LOT. I have grouped with 1 druid... to me that seems odd.

Seen loads of cats, trees and boomkins just no bears. Makes me sad.

Just did 3 runs, two with druid tanks.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Any class with a dual tank and healer spec statistically has more players going for the Healing tree (pallys/druids). However odds are it was just RNG. Maybe at the time you queue at theres more warriors/dks/pally tanks then druids.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazey View Post
    Any class with a dual tank and healer spec statistically has more players going for the Healing tree (pallys/druids). However odds are it was just RNG. Maybe at the time you queue at theres more warriors/dks/pally tanks then druids.
    Really? More people go healer than tank? Never really thought about it but it seems right because I see a ton of druid and paladin healers.

Deleted
    I know off many people who were druid tank before but switched to cat dps...it's pretty sad to see almost all of them switch over. I'm not that known with the class to know weither or not Blizz fucked over the feral tank specc. (guardian blabla)

If I get druid in the group and he is kitty, I'l just tell him to take a real specc and kick him after. I never have and will accept a cat dps. It's just like with DK's, 9 out of 10 just plain out suck. And I just cba giving them the chance to proove themselves anymore as it ends up in me wasting time and gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every group I've ever been in has had a Druid tank.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I dunno, personally I got super tired of the bear-ass all the time, coupled with the hurt the rotation caused me in my hand back in WOTLK made me reroll resto MS/anything else but bear OS permanently.

I tried some bear later in Cata but found it was not my thing, again, and the bear-ass is still as assy as always

I do love tanking though.

I have three druids (horde/alliance) that all are feral/guardian specs atm. Tanking isnt too bad on them, just boring compared to the other tank classes. (fun to see how many dps you can out damage on most encounters though)
    Last edited by jhelom; 2012-09-05 at 05:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    If I get druid in the group and he is kitty, I'l just tell him to take a real specc and kick him after. I never have and will accept a cat dps. It's just like with DK's, 9 out of 10 just plain out suck. And I just cba giving them the chance to proove themselves anymore as it ends up in me wasting time and gold.
    I can say the same thing for literally EVERY class/spec. I expect people to suck at this game. When you do meet them, how about you point them in the right direction instead of being a jerk and vote kicking them?

I was a cat dps but when 5.0.4 hit i went guardian, cant stand the cat now.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Druid tanks aren't rare. Run as many random 5-mans as you want and the number of tanks you see is yet but a very, very small percentage of the player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    I dunno, personally I got super tired of the bear-ass all the time, coupled with the hurt the rotation caused me in my hand back in WOTLK made me reroll resto MS/anything else but bear OS permanently.

I tried some bear later in Cata but found it was not my thing, again, and the bear-ass is still as assy as always

I do love tanking though.
    I love tanking but have been unable to play my paladin and druid since cata release. Both classes make my head hurt now... haven't had a chance to level/test them out with the new stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I myself have a druid tank, OS healing. After having two totally shitty HoT runs in a row, I switched to running as healer, and haven't gone back. PuGs expect you to be totally flawless, even when they're fucking retarded. As a tank, if ANYONE dies, even if it wasn't your fault...it's your fault. Yet healers it seems can do no wrong. I went afk in a group once (my dinner was burning lol) and we wiped, I came back and was going to apologize...but everyone was blaming the tank for it O_o I apologized for the situation, tried to take the blame, but everyone kept pointing fingers at the tank. /shrug

Tanking is just overly stressful. Sure, I had probably 60 or 70 GOOD runs as a tank, but all it took were those two back-to-back runs to kill it for me. I still tank on my DK and Pally (Haven't dusted off the ol' War yet for it) but my druid is basically only a healer now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Because they're currently slightly less interesting versions of warrior tanks.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Tanking is just overly stressful.
    Only if you're not good at it, but this can be said for healing and DPS too.

Not sure I agree with the premise, however, prior to 5.0.4 I just didn't find druid tanking fun and focused on healing on my druid. However, since 5.0.4 I've enjoyed it much more. The active mitigation/rage free DPS abilities feels so much smoother than focusing on how much rage you have so you can do dmg/hold threat, and getting most of your mitigation from passive procs.

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 05:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    Only if you're not good at it, but this can be said for healing and DPS too.
    I'd disagree with this. It's not just about being good at tanking. Tanks are usually expected to be "in charge" of the group and rightly so. Some people just don't enjoy being in charge of a bunch of strangers. Coordinating people and not getting infuriated when someone doesn't follow directions isn't part of everyone's personality even if they mechanically can tank like gods.
    Last edited by Abysal; 2012-09-05 at 05:43 AM.

i get dk tanks to 100% no mather where i go...

o wait that cause i am Tank dk

on the other side our second tank in gild is a druid

I got to thinking and I think it may actually be RNG not being RNG.

I am grouped with Mages, Healing druids, Paladins and Hunters nearly always. Sometimes I see locks, DKs and Shaman. Never see feral druids or rogues... like 2 rogues in the last few weeks. I remember them because they are so rare. Not cats and no bears in the last few weeks.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    I'd disagree with this. It's not just about being good at tanking. Tanks are usually expected to be "in charge" of the group and rightly so. Some people just don't enjoy being in charge of a bunch of strangers. Coordinating people and not getting infuriated when someone doesn't follow directions isn't part of everyone's personality even if they mechanically can tank like gods.
    Which again, if you're good at it you wont find it stressful. If you're not good at it you'll find it stressful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Druids have 4 roles to choose from. All the other classes have 3, so logic would dictate that they would be in fewer numbers?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose