Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    I won't answer everything, but i can answer some of your questions.

3. No, but you keep gaining skill points after max level and you can trade the skill points for rare items and stuff like that..

4. There a TONs of cosmetic upgrades, in fact, most of them are cosmetic.

6. IMHO, combat in GW2 borrows much from PvP, which means that some PvE fight feel like PvP — your enemies dodge and play actively, you are required to do the same. You can't just stand there and do your rotation on the mob, you have to play actively. All skills I have seen yet are equally usable in both PvE and PvP. As the game lacks dedicated dps/healer/tank distinction you are responsible for all three and thus have abilities from the repertoire of all these three archetypes.

7. The gear stat difference is around 13% increase between each item tier, so the best items have 13% better stats then second best (which are very easy to get). This translates to 5% overall stat difference (when counted together with your natural attributes) so around 2-3% damage and somehow better survivability.

8. They are still tweaking the trading post - the economy is world wide and creating a system that can serve hundreds of thousands of concurrent players is a very difficult thing to do.

9. Crafting is nessesary to obtain rarest in-game items - legendary weapons. Best crafted armor is as good as best otherwise obtainable armor.

10. All stuff you can buy in the in-game shop (boosters, dyes etc.) also drops from mobs and is received as quest rewards. The only exception to this are vanity items like hats etc.

11. In GW2, you have a single one home server and your character limit is global. The home server determines your WvWvW side. If you just want to PVE, you can 'visit' any other server at any given time and play there. You can also change your home server, but this will cost money (AFAIK, its still free). The game chat is world-wide, meaning that you can talk to your friends/guild even if you are on another server currently.

From what you describe as your preferences, GW2 sounds like a game for you. BTW, try PvP out, its very much fun. You don't have to do it 'competitively'.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Hard to say, depends on what you stumble upon, how fascinated you are with it and how much time you spend on it, haha.

2. The explorables each have 3 different paths. The "flavor" of the dungeon is the same, other than that very different. Also, different dynamic events occur in these dungeons every time you run them.

3. Never played those games so not sure what you are asking.

4. Yes to items, titles and gear. Also achievements, mini-companions, etc. Some so easy they fall in your lap, some difficult. Around 400 dyes, you can use dyes on any piece of armor or town clothing, it doesn't need to be a cultural set.

5. I play a scepter/dagger elementalist so basically I'm a range with some melee abilities. Since I'm pretty squishy I just look for the right time to run up and kiss it with a ring of fire or earthquake. That doesn't fully answer your question though :S

6. Not at all.

7. People are still theorycrafting like mad, don't think you can put a percentage on these sidegrades. For my build however, power does a great deal more damage than say toughness, however toughness will give me survivabilty.

8. The TP was down pretty much all of the first week, it's been up pretty much the last 3 days so it looks like they got the bugs worked out. Other than that I think crafting is hugely fun in this game due to the discovery method. Plus you gain xp from crafting and when you craft multiples (think making bolts of cotton) each item crafts in 1/2 the time of the previous one, that bar goes flying!

9. You can make some amazing looking gear and some of the best gear can be crafted.

10. Gems cost $10 per 800 or you can purchase them with in game gold. The current conversion for ingame gold is 29 silver per 100 gems. You can purchase packs of rare dyes but they also drop in game or they can be crafted with cooking. Some items like character slots and bank tabs can only be purchased with gems.

11. You cannot have characters on more than one server. This is because of WvW. Right now server transfers are free while they stabilize server pops, after that you can purchase transfers with gems. IRL money for gems would cost $22 for a full server, $12 for a medium server and $8 for a low pop server. There are no low pops though Also since all your characters MUST stay on the same server, this fee transfers your account.
    Valar morghulis

1. How long (playing time) does it take to get to level 80 (that is max level, right ?), if you just "play along", doing just the sideline activities (like vistas), hearts and DEs that you accidently stumble across without too much exploration/research (and I know exploration is fun, I love Gothic 2, one of THE best single player RPGs for that)

Took me about 80 hours

2. I heard there are 8 dungeons, but each has a story mode and 3 explorable modes, basically making it 32 dungeons.
    How much truth does this claim have in it, are the different versions really a lot like different dungeons, do the bosses, trash mobs, secrets and areas change, for example (I don't expect fully different dungeons, of course) ?

Did 4 explorable dungeons and almost all story modes.
    I absolutely did not enjoy them, as they are very hectic, artificially dificult, are very time-consuming and don't reward you whatsoever. They could be fun with a proper, skilled group though. Once.

3. Is there an alternate progression system upon reaching level 80, or maybe even before that (similar to Warhammer Online or the new Diablo 3 paragon system, for example) ?

No.

4. Are there vanity items/titels to collect, how many variations are there and how hard are they to get - I heard something about specific cultural outfits that you can appearently wear as an overcloak and dye them, basically like Transmogrification in WoW (sorry for the comparison) + the dyeing option ?

Yep, most of the gear in GW2 is purely cosmetic.

5. Some people claimed that the combat system/dungeons/dragon fights felt a little chaotic and/or penalizing melee combat - a friend of mine has some low level characters (he plays all classes at once) and assured me that ranged attacks from melee centric classes were not weaker than their melee versions (for example bows were not weaker than greatswords for warriors in terms of raw damage), so it wouldn't be a disadvantage to go melee in dungeons - my friend doesn't have first hand dungeon experience, yet, though.

Gw2 dungeons are indeed hectic, chaotic and extremely uncomfortable for melee classes. Melee, however, does MUCH more dps than ranged. Greatsword warrior does times more damage than a bow warrior.

6. Does the game feel "PvP centric" to you, for example, are you of the impression that balancing or a wide variety or skills are only focused on the PvP-side of things ?

Yes, absolutely, as the only competitive part of the game is the PvP.

7. I heard there are no "better" items as rewards at max level, just altered versions that are of the same "power level" than the gear you first get when you reach max level - are there exceptions from this rule, how much can these stats differ in one direction or the other, 10%, 40%, 95% ?

Yeah, all end-game items have got the same amount of stats, they are just distributed differently.
    A legendary greatsword that takes you 200 hours to craft would have the same stats as a 2 gold greatsword you could buy @ ah, just looks better.

8. Some people claimed that leveling up crafting was "a chore/grind" and that the auction house (I suppose that's meant with "trading post", no clue, though) was under maintenance a lot ? Is this true, if so, to what extent ?

It is an extreme, repetitive grind, however exploring is fun and it rewards you experience, and completing a zone by itself yields a lot of xp.

9. How are the crafting rewards at max crafting level ? Can you craft "unique"/hard to get stuff, that "rewards" you for maximizing your crafting skills ?

Just cosmetic gear. And maxing your professions requires a lot of grinding of mats. Trust me, a LOT.

10. How does the "juwels" payshop system work ? How expensive are juwels, can you get them ingame/trade them, are there things that you can only get via juwels (think I heard about rare dye and/or character slots) ?

About 1.5 g for 400 gems ~. You can buy cosmetic gear for them and things such as xp boosts.

11. I heard you couldn't create new characters on certain realms for a time after launch and characters were counted towards your total number of character slots, even if you created them on different servers ? Are there server transfers, if so, are there restrictions and does it cost anything ?

5 character slots, limited to one server.

10+ Year Old Account
    As with any game, Your Mileage May Vary.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Thanks alot for your answer, Karizee.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    3. Never played those games so not sure what you are asking.
    I was basically simply asking if your characters "continue leveling" when you hit level 80, and - according to other replies - they appearently do in the form of getting more skills points to play with.

Edit: And thanks a lot for your answer aswell, Strah !
    Last edited by TequilaFlavor; 2012-09-07 at 09:44 PM.

I am max level and have a decent amount of RL friend's playing in a guild and what not. i think you are like me and enjoy the time with players and freinds more then to much focusing on the content quality.

but to be frank the PvE is veryyyyyy frustrating and lacking in many regards. I think if as a former WoW PvEer you will lose hope quickly as i have in the PvE system overall.

luckily for me the sPvP continues to impress and keep me engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

32 unique zones is more than a stretch and basically is marketing gibberish.
    To be fair, I didn't pick this up from official GW2 marketing, but rather from posts on this subforum and this video, for example 1:35 into this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMFIXNuReYU

Edit: And I know, it's presented in a simplified, silly way, but the core message seems to be presented seriously.
    Last edited by TequilaFlavor; 2012-09-07 at 10:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fencers, nobody is saying they're "unique zones" exactly. I highly doubt anybody expected that each Expo dungeon path would be so completely unique from each other. All three Expo paths in AC is going to be all AC from start to finish, and the enemies faced would obviously have the same central theme. We kinda knew that going in.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

To be fair, I didn't pick this up from official GW2 marketing, but rather from posts on this subforum and this video, for example 1:35 into this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMFIXNuReYU

Edit: And I know, it's presented in a simplified, silly way, but the core message seems to be presented seriously.
    majority of what that video says masks the truth about the actually implementation of Anet's dungeon system and the way in which those dungeon armors and such need to be earned.

I love melee and after playing GW2 I am worried that this play style is a must for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    majority of what that video says masks the truth about the actually implementation of Anet's dungeon system and the way in which those dungeon armors and such need to be earned.
    Thanks for your responses, Brandoh - cool avatar and sig btw - gives me something to think about.

It's always good to get several different opinions on things and although some of my concerns didn't really disappear, an honest answer is always the best and I already tried not to get into the "hype for new mmo" trap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your responses, Brandoh - cool avatar and sig btw - gives me something to think about.

It's always good to get several different opinions on things and although some of my concerns didn't really disappear, an honest answer is always the best and I already tried not to get into the "hype for new mmo" trap.
    Each path is still unique from the other. Just don't expect to suddenly step out of the ascalonian catacombs into a brightly lit grass field, leading the charge in a siege on some enemy city. You're still plunging into the ascalonian catacombs.

anytime, whatever you do i hope it works out for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Contravene View Post
    I love melee and after playing GW2 I am worried that this play style is a must for me.
    i must agree with this. the melee is much more engaging in this game. i feel like a true melee'er so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Each path is still unique from the other. Just don't expect to suddenly step out of the ascalonian catacombs into a brightly lit grass field, leading the charge in a siege on some enemy city. You're still plunging into the ascalonian catacombs.
    That wasn't really my main concern as I already didn't expect the dungeon to magically change into something completely different.

---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 07:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    anytime, whatever you do i hope it works out for ya.
    Thanks, Brandoh, wish you the same !

And thanks again to all your great answers, guys, they really helped me out and I'm very likely to give GW2 a go in about a week, when my big law exam tests are delt with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant add much more in relation to your questions that hasn't been said, even Drakewurrm managed to not over inflate the game like he usually does and answered truthfully. The game is not for me, but I would never say to someone not to try it, it sounds like a good choice for you if you like casual PvE, I was forced to reinstall windows I chose not to reinstall GW2 as I log in and get bored but thats just me I think you should just kick your flatmate off and start playing on his account, get a much better idea than what people on here say. Crafting isnt boring, well no more boring than any other mmo its just incredibly mundane and unimaginative, you can craft some lovely looking rewards, the exp gains are niiiiice, its the one time I said in my ohter mmos I would love that implemented, just after a 2 hour powerlevelling spell that gave me no exp

10. How does the "juwels" payshop system work ? How expensive are juwels, can you get them ingame/trade them, are there things that you can only get via juwels (think I heard about rare dye and/or character slots) ?
    800 Jewels are about 10 bucks and 800 jewels can get you a new character slot. Things you can buy with jewels include aesthetic toys (sunglasses, hats etc), boosters, more bank slots, custom finishers etc. Basically things that you might want later on when you've played the game a bunch.

You can use jewels to exchange for gold AND you can exchange gold you make in game for jewels. So if you didn't want to pay any money for a new character slot you can basically try to make enough gold to buy jewels instead of using cash.

Deleted
    This isn't really directed at the OP...but "should I buy" threads in general...

Y'know...you can ask as many questions about a game as you can think of - but the answers will never really capture the essence...and I wonder, unless they're asking very major things "is it a fantasy mmo or a sci-fi?", how useful over analysis is.

It could be that a game doesn't fulfill *any* of your requirements - but you still love it....or it could be that the game fits *all* of your requirements but seems humdrum to play.

I do understand the need to try and get as much info as possible...especially when the box price represents a fair investment for some folk....but...the only way to know for sure is to play it.

Do the very broad strokes of the game sound like something that would be fun? If so, buy it...if you still hesitate then either flip a coin or forget all about it - because anything more is just needlessly torturing yourself.

If you want a singleplayer game with a multiplayer component buy GW2.
    If you want an mmo gw2 isnt for you :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    Only true for the PvE part though.

Like the OP I also am a more PvE focused player. I never enjoyed PvP in WoW. But in GW2 it's really fun.

Value for money, it is one the best games i think to ever have been released. You should just buy it and see for yourself, there is no monthly fee so if you don't like it the loss will not even have been that big, and if you then feel like jumping in it once again in ½ a year, you can do so by just launching the game and logging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    If you wan't an MMO where you actually play with other people buy GW2. In other games like Rift and WOW and AoC and close to every other MMO you are punished for playing with other players, while in GW2 you are rewarded for doing so.
    Last edited by Zogarth; 2012-09-08 at 11:42 AM.