Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Losing weight, tips

Hi

I weigh about 139kg, and I have been running/walking everyday for about an hour and eating less/drinking more water and trying to eat a lot healthier. Was wondering if this is enough to help me lose weight. Also does anyone have any tips on how I can better myself?

The best tip I can give you regarding weight loss is your diet is the most important factor. You can work your ass off at the gym, but if you go home and stuff your face it will do NOTHING for you in terms of weight loss.

I went from 267.5 to 177.4 (current) in just under 5 months (I do not suggest losing weight that quickly, was really unhealthy). But all I did was eat healthy; breakfast was a glass of milk (not a breakfast person), Yogurt and half of a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch, dinner was usually Chicken and broccoli and drank absolutely NOTHING but water (except for the milk for breakfast). I would go outside and play Basketball with my neighbor for ~45 minutes - 1 hour every other day and I dropped weight rapidly.

Find a healthy diet and stick to it, do not follow a diet plan, just eat healthy and give yourself a day off once a week. Losing weight = diet > exercise - remember that.

My original weight was 267.5 lbs (121.109kg) and I am now 177.4 lbs (80.2858kg).

Tape worms are great for it, if you don't mind a sybonic relationship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Detox, if you want a plan for detox i can send it to you. Its pretty annoying to do, but i lost 9KGs in 2weeks and all i did is played wow

Quote Originally Posted by Ovacor View Post
    Losing weight = diet > exercise - remember that.
    Nope, Diet+Exercise is better than either alone.

You CAN lose weight with either, it'll just take longer (longer with just exercise than just diet, though. As to lose weight through exercise you have to build muscle.) You can SAFELY lose about 220 lbs a year (not sure what that would be in kgs). But, even pro body builders only gain < 27 pounds in a year.

Muscle burns more calores per pound/kg than fat does. Therefore, more muscle, more burnt calories just living. Keep that in mind if you use any calorie tracking software. It doesn't include how much lean mass (aka, muscle/bones/fluids) you have, just going by the AVERAGE person. If you do a lot of lifting/heavy work, or you do something that requires a lot of movement for work (security if you do rounds all shift, waiting, etc) than you will NEED more calories in a day than someone that works at a call center/office/majority of students.

There is one thing that Ovacar said that is more than right. Don't lose weight to fast. Not only is it unhealthy, but you will regain the weight fast.

Also, losing weight is easy, keeping it off is hard. Once you get down to were you want to be, you still have to watch what you eat. I lost almost 100lbs, then regained almost half of it before I caught myself. Started doing the same things I was doing. "Oh, I'm hungry, can't be assed to make something, McDonalds here I come."
    Last edited by wolffeathers; 2012-09-09 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Clarity in what I was quoting
    Link broken

Cut out sugar; watch what you drink. You can go without that afternoon daily soda, yo >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Elpalmo View Post
    Detox, if you want a plan for detox i can send it to you. Its pretty annoying to do, but i lost 9KGs in 2weeks and all i did is played wow
    You lost water weight. Not fat. You will regain that weight in a week or so.
    Link broken

Diet and lift weights + a little cardio. Stay away from high glycemic carbs, bread, sugary stuff, pastas, etc. eat lean proteins and lots of veggies, you'd be surprised how much you can pile your plate up with the stuff while still staying relatively low calorie wise. And count calories, it's very easy to go overboard. Drink only water and low-ish fat milk. Try to do some sort of strength training. Studies have shown that weight training is far more effective at burning fat than cardio. I think in the most recent one people who dieted alone lost only 30-45% of the mass they lost as fat. The rest was muscle. People who dieted and did cardio lost only about 67% of mass as fat, and people who dieted and did some sort of (full body) strength training for at least 30 minutes a day lost over 90% of mass as fat. You can go pretty low calorie wise, just don't drop below 1100-1400 (depending on your size). "don't go over 2lbs a week" is rubbish so long as your stimulating your muscles, and eating the right kind of food. Lots and lots of fruits and veggies. Keep it up and the lbs will melt away. Don't be afraid to cheat once or twice a week, but don't go and sit in an all you can eat buffet and stay from opening 'till closing! Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Fluids in general, though water is the best. If you dont like water then add some Mio to it ( I recommend fruit punch, or lemonade). Don't eat if you are about to go to bed. Before eating, ask yourself 'will this help keep me fat?' if yes, dont eat it.

diet > exercise. Meaning what you put into your body is more important than how you spend that energy. Last I heard, a pound of fat takes somewhere in the 3330 calories range to get rid of. Cutting out a single 120 calorie soda from your diet each day = 840 calories a week = 3360 calories a month = 1 pound. That's 1 pound gone from changing NOTHING you do each day except ditching that 1 soda. That's the same eating/sleeping/activity habits.

So imagine if you cut back 2 sodas a day, and ate a little less before dinner? Fat is like the banks or warlocks nickel and dimeing you, it all adds up.

Throw jogging or gym in there twice a week? shiiiit son
    My youtube channels: Sath Reacts: TV & Movie Reactions, and Sath Animations: Stop motion/claymation animations

Quote Originally Posted by wolffeathers View Post
    You can SAFELY lose about 220 lbs a year (not sure what that would be in kgs).
    That would only happen if you were severely obese and unhealthy and thats not SAFELY, being overweight losing 1lb a week with 52 weeks a year is ideal without doing massive harm to your body MAYBE 2lb starting out just due to the healthy change to an unhealthy diet. BUT 220lb a year ? unless your cutting down to a 1000 calorie diet (which is starving yourself essentially while not moving or anything) you wont be losing anything close to that in a healthy way.

1. Eat at a caloric deficit. Losing weight comes down to this and this only. The easiest way to do this is to find out your maintenance calories (the calories your body would need each day to maintain the weight you're at now) and eat below that every single day. There are a few different ways to find out your maintenance. Find a calorie calculator site and plug in your stats. There are usually 2 main formulas used which are all slightly different and neither are going to be 100% correct. The main point is getting an idea then finding out for yourself through experience and learning your body. For example - lets say your maintenance is 2800 cals a day. Depending on your metabolism and which formula used this can probably vary 100-300 in either direction so as a start I'd say eat 2500 cals a day for 2 weeks and see where you are at. That would be (roughly) a 300 calorie deficit. People think you have to exercise to lose weight. This actually isnt true. Exercise is great and has many benefits but losing weight isnt one of them. Yes it speeds up the process because if you exercise you burn more calories in return making it easier to eat a deficit or easier to eat at a larger deficit but you can literally sit on your ass all day and do nothing and if youre still eating a caloric deficit consistently (which would be hard) you will still lose weight. I'd highly recommend exercise especially if youre looking for quicker weight loss, but technically its not necessary.

2. Count your calories. Every single one. Measure and weigh your food. Its not as hard and time consuming as you might think and its necessary if youre serious about losing weight. You might think you have an idea of how many calories youre eating but chances are youre not even close. I suggest a site like myfitnesspal. Very easy to use. You can plug in any food, serving size, ect. Whatever you do make dam sure youre EATING AT A DEFICIT. If you go over 200 one day thats 200 less the next day so if youre at 300 in the first place now youre at 500 for that day. If you don't do this there is a good chance it will just snowball and everything youre doing will be irrelevant. You can sweat your ass off, run, jump, and fly all day, every day. If youre not consistently eating less calories than your body needs to maintain your weight you won't lose a pound.

3. Consider lifting. Cardio is good but lifting is better for men or women. I don't want to get into an explanation why and I'd suggest combining them both. Everything you think you know about lifting isnt true. If you think youll go from fat to having bulky muscle (eating at a caloric deficit as mentioned above) youre so wrong its not even funny.

4. Don't buy any bogus workout equipment or programs. Don't listen to (most) personal trainers at a corporate gym. Don't do some dumbass fad diet. Don't buy any 'fat burning' supplements. Start off by eating at a deficit and exercising. Thats all you should be worried about when you start. The truth is the fitness/diet/supplement industry runs and thrives off ignorance. If people were not so ignorant and took the time to research and find out the truth for themselves through experience it would not generate even close to the billions of dollars it does. In short losing weight or gaining weight/muscle is for the most part a very simple process once you understand it.

5. Try to eat good clean foods and stay away from processed foods. Whole grains, veggies, fruits, lean meats, ect. Don't even worry about counting macros and such to start (thats more important if youre looking to build muscle/cut weight after building muscle/ect.) Eating good foods also isnt 100% necessary but it will help your overall health and mentality. It will also allow you to eat more. If you eat a bunch crap food chances are that food is high in calories and you won't be able to eat as much to stay at your deficit resulting in you being hungry....but again as along as you eat a deficit you can eat nothing but mcdonalds and youll still lose weight.

Thats about it. At the end of the day its up to you and will depend on how bad you really want to do it. I wish you luck.
    Last edited by Konics; 2012-09-09 at 08:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xema-Do View Post
    Liking kill lv 20 when 85. See no PVP then can going do what PVP making. No 40, No 60, can not finding, but 20 all here and there, so sigh, then 20 die

Deleted
    It is amazing how people always say eat less calories my tip of losing weight and is this lost 20 kg in 6 months is.

1: First of all excersize more i once did sportts for 2 hours a week now i do it 8 hours running, my regular sports some robe jumpung and so on but build it up slowly so your'e body has time to get used to eat.

2: The more you sport the more you have to eat from 2000 calories im on 3500 now ofcourse you have to eat healthy Bread, (some cereals not all ) fruit and vegetables,
    and if you like fish eat it aswell BUT dont forget to eat 1 maybe 2 fat snacks a week so your'e body will not forget the fat snacks so you won't gain 20 kilo's after 1 bite.

3: I practicly drink whatever i want but if you drink alot of cola and soda and so on here is my tip drink lemonade but water it alot down cause youre body is used to so much sugar this is a good replacer.

4: As someone mentioned this above to watch calories that is all up to you i don't do it never done it cause my body says it when it is time for a bite but try to control that urge ( that's the hardest part ).

I heared this 1 alot of that you shouldn't eat after you sported and not in the evening past 8 pm.
    That's all rubbish.

5: So from that here comes my tip you can eat after sport you can eat after 8pm but only healthy things as we all know your'e food processing organs will sepperate the protein and all that stuff at night the more you eat unhealthy things the more unhealthy things will be stored in your'e body at night.
    And from after sports during the day or the evening only eat healthy cause the burning process to burn calories lasts for 8 hours +.

6: And last of all the groceries do gorceries with a full stomach you will feel less urge to buy sweets and more urge to buy good things (atleast...that's my 2 cents and counts for me).
    Dare to try something out i first of all didn't liked melons now i like them all you have to be is patient (and here it is again) so the body can adapt.

7: Never ever think your'e going to fail it cause psychological is helping losing weight aswell.

and the final tip

8: Good Luck.

Deleted
    Running and eating healthy, substitute fizzy drinks with water and snack on fruit if you get hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by wolffeathers View Post
    While true, I have to agree with the person you responded too.

Diet > exercise. If you think about it, how many extra calories do you burn just doing an hour of cardio per day? As an example, a typical rested metabolism is around 200 calories per hour, or around 2400 per day. An hour on a treadmill or elliptical machine will get your around 400-500. In other words, you've only burned an extra 200-300 calories. Basically around an extra 10%

Bottom line, if you don't change your diet, you will not lose the weight.

Count calories + eating at deficit + lifting = success.

myfitnesspal.com for counting cals, google "Starting Strength" for a beginner's routine. I encourage you to add weightlifting instead of cardio alone. How tall are you, OP? I think a 100-pound loss is a reasonable goal in a year and a half (about 5 pounds a month) given your current weight.

15+ Year Old Account
    My friend was 130kg and lost 39 kg in like a few months.

What he did is : Drink only water, no cola etc > run/swim/bike mon-wed-fri for 1 hour.
    And dont stuff yourselfe with all kinds of food, dont eat anymore after 20:00.

Just eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, no snacks.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Deleted
    At the moment i am on a diet using Herbalife and it makes wonders . Trying to count your calories , not going above 1500 in my case , combining it with sports (ping pong , swiming comes along great for me ) works perfect . And yes of course , you need to cut off the coke / suger sweets . Good luck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    Just eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, no snacks.
    Although this seems like the only right answer, it's also wrong.

Three meals a day will leave you with 5~6 hours in between in which you *will* feel hungry. Instead, eat 6 to 8 smaller meals a day. Heavy breakfast, moderate lunch, moderate dinner with three smaller meals in between. These may even be protein shakes, slices of bread or fruit. Just get some in-depth nutrition information and you will loose weight in no-time.

And yes, exercise should be at about 4 times a week.
    Serious that is. Not some halfassed 1km walk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    Although this seems like the only right answer, it's also wrong.

Three meals a day will leave you with 5~6 hours in between in which you *will* feel hungry. Instead, eat 6 to 8 smaller meals a day. Heavy breakfast, moderate lunch, moderate dinner with three smaller meals in between. These may even be protein shakes, slices of bread or fruit. Just get some in-depth nutrition information and you will loose weight in no-time.

And yes, exercise should be at about 4 times a week.
    Serious that is. Not some halfassed 1km walk.

Intermittent Fasting ftw. Screw 6-8 meals a day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Intermittent Fasting ftw. Screw 6-8 meals a day
    Considered it myself. Seems legit for one who has knowledge about nutrition.

Not so much for fat people wanting to lose weight.