Thread: NCAA football

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer52431 View Post
    Is anyone else watching the ULM game? It's going in OT right. This game is fucking insane

Edit: HOLY SHIT! ULM just pulled off a MASSIVE upset. Just wow.
    Patrino's gone. SEC isn't "dominate".... Les Miles, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Patrino where/are. Outside of Cam carrying Auburn on his back, they are the only ones who make noise. Now if only they'd retire and we can go back to SEC being average. But then who would ESPN sponsor......
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    man...i hate to say it...but maybe teh big 10 really is that terrible this year.
    This year? The B1G has been anemic for a while and our bowl records scream it (27-37 since 2000). We're 11-13 in BCS history, with one NC (2002 Ohio State). Ohio State is also the only team with a winning record in BCS bowls, but chances are the rest of the country doesn't realize that due to the pair of high-profile spankings they took in 2007 and 2008 (or whatever wins they've since vacated..).

Needless to say, the nation doesn't exactly tremble in our presence.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-09-09 at 09:52 AM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    Patrino's gone. SEC isn't "dominate".... Les Miles, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Patrino where/are. Outside of Cam carrying Auburn on his back, they are the only ones who make noise. Now if only they'd retire and we can go back to SEC being average. But then who would ESPN sponsor......
    USC or Oklahoma more then likely USC thou.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    SEC east is just bad this year and I think Georgia is overrated. Really the only really good teams in the SEC is LSU,Bama, and Arkansas and that's just about it I also think A&M is underrated same with Vandy.
    Go ahead and cross Arkansas off that list, lol!

Alabama is going to eat Arkansas alive this weekend. Expect a massacre.

But that has nothing to do with ULM upsetting #8 Arkansas. Look, I have no doubt that Arkansas is poorly coached. But given that they're a big school in the self-proclaimed 'greatest sports conference in the history of the universe', they're able to get some of the best recruits in the nation, right? So, if that's the case, then they should be able to easily steamroll a tiny school like ULM with just their raw talent and athleticism alone.

Except they didn't, and they got punched in the mouth in their own house by a team from a school that few people outside of Louisiana have heard of. So don't try to take away from or demean their victory. They played harder and better than Arkansas, with a fraction of the funding and budget that Arkansas has.
    Last edited by Finangus; 2012-09-09 at 02:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Shocked to see Arkansas lost today. After Wisconsin's performance last week that was surprising, but a loss to UL Monroe elicited a What the fuck out loud from me during Sportscenter. That's like Michigan's App St loss bad. Grats to Savannah St for only losing by 55 or so yesterday. Sure the game last two quarters and around 6 minutes thanks to weather, but they could be confused with a real football team if you saw 55-0 and missed the early ending part.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 10:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Finangus View Post
    Ya it is going to be so, so ugly lol. Looks like the SEC is a two team conference again and sadly both of them are in the same division.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya it is going to be so, so ugly lol. Looks like the SEC is a two team conference again and sadly both of them are in the same division.
    And I have zero desire to watch Bama and LSU play again. After getting up at 3 or so AM in Kuwait to watch the BCS title game with my unit, I refuse to watch another Bama/LSU snoozefest.

10+ Year Old Account
    "sponsor"? This weekend was the first time I've ever seen ESPN give a crap about SEC games. They NEVER play SEC games.

So, which is worse? Michigan losing to Appalachian State or Arkansas losing to ULM?
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-09 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    "sponsor"? This weekend was the first time I've ever seen ESPN give a crap about SEC games. They NEVER play SEC games.

So, which is worse? Michigan losing to Appalachian State or Arkansas losing to ULM?
    The Michigan loss to App St is far and away a bigger black eye. You're talking about a FCS team walking into the big house and taking out a Michigan team that had huge hopes for the season. ULM is FBS and has been for almost 20 years. The two are not even comparable. As far as the SEC having "only two teams" name another conference with more than two teams with a legit shot at the crystal ball, go ahead I will wait. Every year everybody screams the SEC is top heavy the rest of the league sucks but every year during bowl season the rest of the nation fails to prove it.

10+ Year Old Account

Appalachian State by far. ULM is at least a FBS team, Appalachian State, afaik, is a FCS team.

Go ahead and cross Arkansas off that list, lol!

But that has nothing to do with ULM upsetting #8 Arkansas. Look, I have no doubt that Arkansas is poorly coached. But given that they're a big school in the self-proclaimed 'greatest sports conference in the history of the universe', they're able to get some of the best recruits in the nation, right? So, if that's the case, then they should be able to easily steamroll a tiny school like ULM with just their raw talent and athleticism alone.

Except they didn't, and they got punched in the mouth in their own house by a team from a school that few people outside of Louisiana have heard of. So don't try to take away from or demean their victory. They played harder and better than Arkansas, with a fraction of the funding and budget that Arkansas has.
    Except that you left out the reasons why they lost. As an Arkansas fan it sucks, but being I know what happened I know why. They lost Tyler Wilson in the first half, to an injury that's probably going to have him out for a while. I don't care if you are in the SEC, Sunbelt, Big 10, or Conference USA, if you lose a quarterback of that caliber odds are its gonna be rough. To top that off they lost 3 other starters to injury as well ( with one being immobilized and carted off ).

The problem with Arkansas coaching wise, is that the AD let the players dictate to him about who he should hire. It was a bad move, especially with a program as large as Arkansas, and in the conference we are in. You don't go out and hire a second rate coach and expect a National Championship. While I'm on that topic, anyone with a brain that thought Arkansas was gonna be that good this year was smoking something. They had like 3 decent players coming back, the rest were fairly young. Tyler Wilson just proved why its a bad idea to turn the money down, odds are he will now have a heck of a time even getting drafted in the second round.

Finally ULM isn't that bad, that QB gave us trouble last year, and we had a much better team a year ago. They play a very weird defensive scheme ( 3-5-3 I think it is) and it throws lots of teams off. They are one of those teams you can't overlook, because they are just good enough to beat you if you do.

Yeah the Alabama game is going to be ugly, but I thought it would be going into the season tbh. All these Hog fans that were talking about a National Championship were just fooling themselves. Even on paper this team wasn't that good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    They had like 3 decent players coming back, the rest were fairly young.
    I'm with you, except for this. Bama had, what, two returning starters on defense? If you're not deep enough to cover the losses, fine, but a big name like Arkansas shouldn't use that as n excuse.

I'm with you, except for this. Bama had, what, two returning starters on defense? If you're not deep enough to cover the losses, fine, but a big name like Arkansas shouldn't use that as n excuse.
    Its Arkansas, I know as much as we the fans like to play it up, we are usually decent every year, but definitely not a top tier team year in and year out. There is a huge difference in being Alabama and not returning players, and being Arkansas and not returning players. This school hasn't been a powerhouse since Lou Holtz left in the 70's, we've just been pretty good and had some years where we almost got lucky.

Past that, the other big difference is Nick Saban didn't get fired at the start of the summer and had to be replaced going into the season. Saban had a chance to work with his guys and develop them more, I'm pretty sure our guys didn't do that at all this summer with everything going on. While most of the coaching staff was kept in place, the game last night showed just how important Bobby was to the whole thing. Dude ran everything on the offensive side, and put his foot in peoples rears when the defense stunk.

Also, John L. Smith showed just what kind of a coach he is when he's not even man enough to lose the game and then go and shake hands afterwards. One thing is for sure, he definitely has no reason to try to get the job after this season, they are already trying to run him out of Fayeteville

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    This year? The B1G has been anemic for a while and our bowl records scream it (27-37 since 2000). We're 11-13 in BCS history, with one NC (2002 Ohio State). Ohio State is also the only team with a winning record in BCS bowls, but chances are the rest of the country doesn't realize that due to the pair of high-profile spankings they took in 2007 and 2008 (or whatever wins they've since vacated..).

Needless to say, the nation doesn't exactly tremble in our presence.
    i meant it like "worse than even normal"

Appalachian State by far. ULM is at least a FBS team, Appalachian State, afaik, is a FCS team.
    They were also on a 3 year winning stream and 3 straight D2 championships
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    They were also on a 3 year winning stream and 3 straight D2 championships
    and yet they were still D2, and Michigan still lost, in regulation, at home.

15+ Year Old Account
    Warning: I'm a Michigan fan.

I think the ULM loss is worse. We are talking about a FBS team that doesn't deserve to be in the FBS. ULM has gotten murdered by every single decent team they have played for year. Absolutely obliterated in most cases. App St was the best team in D1AA. They could beat a good half of the teams in FBS football fairly handily. Neither loss is forgivable, but the ULM one is ever so slightly more pathetic than the Michigan loss to the best team in D1AA.

10+ Year Old Account
    This weekend was the first time I've ever seen ESPN give a crap about SEC games. They NEVER play SEC games.
    Wait, what? ESPN has aired SEC games for quite a while. Even before ESPN signed its 15-year contract with the SEC (in 2008), they'd usually air at least one afternoon and/or one prime-time SEC contest. They and CBS currently do the majority of the conference's coverage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Really with South Carolina the biggest comp they have is Vandy, <snip>
    Vanderbilt? Seriously? I know I'm not well-versed on college football, and maybe I've missed something mysterious for not keeping up with much of any sport in the last few years, but Vanderbilt's only threat a threat to itself. Kinda like that kid who manages to tie the laces on his shoes together and walk forward one step/trip and fall face-first on the ground because both shoes were tied together. I'm sorry, I just have to return to laughing.

#FlightIsImportant

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would agree with you conscript except Michigan is a bigger national team then Arkansas. They get more 4-5 star recruits and every year people think they are going to the NC most people in Arkansas hope to get to the Cotton bowl. Michigan didn't lose probably the 3rd best coach in collage football and they played at home where the game last nite was in little rock not at home. I actually never even heard of App state till yall lost to them but that might be because they are not close to here like LMU is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Wait, what? ESPN has aired SEC games for quite a while. Even before ESPN signed its 15-year contract with the SEC (in 2008), they'd usually air at least one afternoon and/or one prime-time SEC contest. They and CBS currently do the majority of the conference's coverage.
    Coulda fooled me. I haven't seen said proof of that before this year. You could go two weeks without seeing an SEC team on ESPN. CBS, yeah, they host a lot, but then again, that's a local thing anyway so there's no telling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus9001 View Post
    Vanderbilt? Seriously? I know I'm not well-versed on college football, and maybe I've missed something mysterious for not keeping up with much of any sport in the last few years, but Vanderbilt's only threat a threat to itself. Kinda like that kid who manages to tie the laces on his shoes together and walk forward one step/trip and fall face-first on the ground because both shoes were tied together. I'm sorry, I just have to return to laughing.
    To be fair, Vandy is a little underrated because of the conference they play in. I'm not gonna sit here and say that they could beat anybody outside their conference, but they could probably be ranked if they didn't have to play all the SEC teams.