Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Korean 27" monitor?

looking to buy a new monitor that has higher resolution and a bigger screen to play wow on. looking at 27" monitors with 2560x1440 resolution. cheapest i can find from newegg is $700 not includding shipping. but there are a ton of sellers from south korea selling these monitors (korean brands i assume) for 1/2 the price i can find on newegg with free shipping.

Looking for anyone who has baught one off ebay or else where to give me your input. OR anyone else who has some input that would be useful i welcome any comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I can say is you get what you pay for. If you pay half price, expect it to last half as long, or look half as good as the $700+ ones.

Deleted
    The panel quality is great, but the stands are apparently a bit dodgy.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    only thing that worries me about the ebay sellers it seems alot of them have some negative feedback with people saying they payed and never got their item. thank you for the link Chaud. Seems that they really are worth checking into and if not getting one or more.

what do you think about them Chaud, since you are the smart one around here when it comes to this kind of thing.

If I wanted a monitor that large I would give one a chance or more likely try one that you can buy from a store.

Thankfully I am happy with a 24" for now!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazybum View Post
    looking to buy a new monitor that has higher resolution and a bigger screen to play wow on. looking at 27" monitors with 2560x1440 resolution. cheapest i can find from newegg is $700 not includding shipping. but there are a ton of sellers from south korea selling these monitors (korean brands i assume) for 1/2 the price i can find on newegg with free shipping.

Looking for anyone who has baught one off ebay or else where to give me your input. OR anyone else who has some input that would be useful i welcome any comments.
    Instead of buying cheap Korean crap that you won't get any support for...Why don't you buy a 42 inches hd tv for roughly the same price and plug your comp on it ?

Deleted
    Because a 42" TV at 1080p would look horrible...

Quote Originally Posted by Zenxion78 View Post
    Because a 42" TV at 1080p would look horrible...
    1920x1080 on my current 23" and if i get that 42" tv it would still be same 1920x1080. so what Zenxion said is true, it would just stretch the image without improving it at all

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyjimbob View Post
    All I can say is you get what you pay for. If you pay half price, expect it to last half as long, or look half as good as the $700+ ones.
    This kid has absolutely no damn idea what he is talking about.

The Catleaps and other korean IPS monitors we have been able to get our hands on are ridiculously good. The koreans are better than lets say the dells in my opinion. WHY? Well Dell got way to aggressive with their anti glare it gives whites and other colors almost a frosted look to them. Second, the cost, obviously. These monitor can be found for 300-400 on ebay while a Dell or Asus counterpart costs you 750+. Finally, overclockable, yes that is right you can overclock these monitor if you get the right model. You can take it from running at 60hz to 110hz+.

Only draw back, is the limited warranty and having to pay to ship it back if yours has an issue. Which from scouring the internet is a pretty low occurance. ALso, to make up that price gap you would have to send the monitor back a dozen times lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    If I wanted a monitor that large I would give one a chance or more likely try one that you can buy from a store.

Thankfully I am happy with a 24" for now!
    too bad i dont live in a state that has that store since its in store pickup only and the ones in that would only be a few hour drive are out of stock lol
    Last edited by lazybum; 2012-09-09 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    Instead of buying cheap Korean crap that you won't get any support for...Why don't you buy a 42 inches hd tv for roughly the same price and plug your comp on it ?
    Pixel density, and Korean made crap? The stupid flows with this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    A 42" HDTV has the same amount of pixels as a "standard" gaming monitor, 1920x1080. You're not going to see more by plugging your computer into a TV.

The korean 27" monitors are 2560x1440, that's why.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Got this for you

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/...ssages/1503346

It is dutch, but with google translate you should be fine
    Accesorieswhole seems to be a good seller (to holland anyway, altho i doubt it will be different to the states, or where ever you live )

I had a Westinghouse 22" monitor, it was big and bulky. I thought the picture was great, since it was my first large monitor.

I then bought a 23" Acer monitor... you definitely get what you pay for. Quality is 10x better, the entire monitor is a lot more slim, it's very sharp and colorful screen.

When it comes to electronics... you really do get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphexy View Post
    I had a Westinghouse 22" monitor, it was big and bulky. I thought the picture was great, since it was my first large monitor.

I then bought a 23" Acer monitor... you definitely get what you pay for. Quality is 10x better, the entire monitor is a lot more slim, it's very sharp and colorful screen.

When it comes to electronics... you really do get what you pay for.
    checking the reviews of multiple sellers on ebay and ton of people say they are great and the link chaud provided says they are great as well. im more willing to trust chaud since he is the the PC guy always posting PC setups and the 1000s of people who posted feedback on ebay over one person who has no personal experience

Deleted
    Allow me to explain to some of the people here about the korean monitors.

a) they are the same lg screens used in the Apple thunderbolt display.
    b) they are a- panels, meaning that apple/dell etc. did not choose to purchase them for some reason or another, but they are not faulty
    c) Korean law allows for up to 5 dead pixels on a display to still be sold as new. However very few of these monitors have any dead pixels.
    d) do not pay extra for pixel perfect as some of the time they will still have a dead pixel.
    e) some of the boards in the yamakasi catleap screens have been found to be possible to overclock them to 120hz meaning a 1400p 120hz display.
    f) research them, there are plenty of people at 120hz.com who have purchased them and countless other forums where they have been purchased and had been found to be amazing, ill be buying one myself once ive sold my Samsung 32 inch 1080p tv.

Don't discount these screens before adequate research has been done.

Same panel, but in the USA from Amazon. Right here.

If there is a Microcenter near you, they also sell a monitor with that same panel, but I forget the brand name that's on it. Only $400 though.

Make sure you've got a really good video card or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezeria View Post

Make sure you've got a really good video card or two.
    have a radeon sapphire HD 6870

Performance is going to be very poor then. My 6870 can't keep up with WoW max settings at 1920x1050.