Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's the MMO me and my friends have been waiting for. I've already hit lvl80 and for some reason still playing my toon in a game with no supposed "endgame"

Deleted
    its not a perfect game, however it is possibly the most fun I've had in an MMO in years. Its the first MMO is about a decade that really captures that sense of exploration, and where I can get distracted from the current task and then find myself on the other side of a zone and hour or so later, having got there by just going from interesting distraction to interesting distraction.

It has its faults, but they are for me far far outweighed by the shear fun I am having.

Deleted
    Great game - easily the best game in the MMO space since WoW launched. Would recommend it to anyone. I honestly cannot see how any person interested in PC gaming will not get an insane amount of value out of buying the game.

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    its not a perfect game, however it is possibly the most fun I've had in an MMO in years. Its the first MMO is about a decade that really captures that sense of exploration, and where I can get distracted from the current task and then find myself on the other side of a zone and hour or so later, having got there by just going from interesting distraction to interesting distraction.

It has its faults, but they are for me far far outweighed by the shear fun I am having.
    Exactly my sentiment.

If you have any interest in exploring a really interesting environment that will sneak awesome puzzles in on you then you'll love GW2. I tend to fully explore every map, and I've stumbled across 3 jump puzzle that ended up occupying me for 2-3 hours. I loooooved it.

I love this game. All the times I saw something cool in WoW and thought, "wow I wonder if I can go there" and then was let down are made up for in Gw2.

Deleted
    I absolutely loved the leveling content and after being a bit disappointed with the end game when I first dinged level 80 im now starting to get into it. Im farming the karma set and playing some wvw im hooked at the moment.

I bought the game, played it a bit...still play it here and there. I treat it like any other $60 game I woulda bought for my PS3. I can tell you what i don`t like...

dynamic events after so long feel no different than any other games quests, they`re something you wander around to hearts to find or find while exploring. they never really change much. it was painted so differently, people made a huge deal out of the questing experience, or rather how they did it... but it feels no different. most of the time i found myself repeating the same events, where is the fun in repeating the same "not quests" over and over and over.

I feel like exploration isn`t so much something you choose to do so much that it is mandatory for leveling. I enjoy exploring, seeing the scenery..but sometimes I`m not drawn to it, maybe it`s the zone I don`t like, maybe i`d rather do something else.... but I struggle to level if i don`t.

I don`t like the controls, I haven`t since the first beta. I thought SwTOR control was horrible, but this game took it to a whole new level.

I don`t like how if you`re not doing sPvP, getting WvWvW gear or dungeon gear takes SO, so much farming and grinding that it just makes me angry. Diablo 3 angry. I feel like, as it`s been something that was said in terms of "end game PvE", the lack of a trinity and the difficulty, or moreso the annoyance of dungeons is also very frustrating. I like a challenge, but it`s just ridiculous at times.

I enjoy a lot of things, I love all of the classes equally. I love the attention to detail, exploring a zone and finding some random thing that makes me go "oh, well that`s really cool!" I love being a level 1 and being able to jump into PvP at max level. the game is amazing for what it is, but it`s just not something I can play for a long time.
    Last edited by La; 2012-09-09 at 11:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    dynamic events after so long feel no different than any other games quests, they`re something you wander around to hearts to find or find while exploring. they never really change much. it was painted so differently, people made a huge deal out of the questing experience, or rather how they did it... but it feels no different. most of the time i found myself repeating the same events, where is the fun in repeating the same "not quests" over and over and over..
    O_o

Well they're not so different that you're suddenly not playing an MMO. The difference is in their "dynamic" design. Which, to be fair, is still a bit static in some regards, but it's still different from the standard fare of questing. When you complete an event, you should stick around for a minute or two afterwards to see if it chains into something else.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I think it's far from a bad game. It's just a victim of the overhype beast. Absolutely worth it if you come into it with a open mind.

Currently PvE is horrible in my opinion however it has the potential to be better than any other games PvE, hopefully next content patch/content will fix that. The PvP is very good but some class/weapon setups feel out of place. It also feels to grindy(well ive got 30gold due to playing the AH but before that) to get enough gold/decent gear.

Over-all the leveling is worth the money imo without question. And I am fairly sure PvE can only get better as it does have so great little rights but there the exception not the rule atm (and also its lvl 50 dungeon has imo the best trash set up i have seen in any mmo)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    O_o

Well they're not so different that you're suddenly not playing an MMO. The difference is in their "dynamic" design. Which, to be fair, is still a bit static in some regards, but it's still different from the standard fare of questing. When you complete an event, you should stick around for a minute or two afterwards to see if it chains into something else.
    I don't think that's the problem; I think that the problem is that the dynamic events you do never have truly lasting effects on the world. If you get down one of the priests on Orr, the event will reset in 6 hours and you'll get to do it all over again. While it's obvious that this is necessary so that content isn't a one-time thing, it does give something of a nihilistic feel on the game.

If these event chains were deeper and longer (that's what she said), and the repercussions of succeeding or failing were greater, then I think the dynamic event system would make a lot more ground. Since it's the first foray into the system, I can understand their reluctance to invest too heavily- but I hope that they'll embellish on the system with their major content patches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I don't think that's the problem; I think that the problem is that the dynamic events you do never have truly lasting effects on the world. If you get down one of the priests on Orr, the event will reset in 6 hours and you'll get to do it all over again. While it's obvious that this is necessary so that content isn't a one-time thing, it does give something of a nihilistic feel on the game.

If these event chains were deeper and longer (that's what she said), and the repercussions of succeeding or failing were greater, then I think the dynamic event system would make a lot more ground. Since it's the first foray into the system, I can understand their reluctance to invest too heavily- but I hope that they'll embellish on the system with their major content patches.
    Honestly, they have more effect on the world than quests in other games do. Sure, the effects they have are temporary, but that's the way the world works. I'd love to see them have a bigger impact, let alone be a bit more dynamic than what they are (they always happen the same way when they happen, after all), but this is a step in the right direction. It's refreshing enough for now. I'm sure in a few years, we'll all be bored of it, and hopefully some other developer will iterate on the idea.

In some ways, the push-shove nature of some chains is too one-dimensional. Like the ogre kraal in Plains of Ashford... I've yet to run into the zone where the ogres had overrun it and taken control of that waypoint. I saw it in beta, but on live the areas are still so populated that the only event I ever see is where the ogres try to take back the kraal, which... I've never seen fail.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

You might start to take dynamic events for granted after over-analyzing them, but what makes them great is that they're totally cooperative. GW2's leveling experience + personal story combination feels like an exact definition of what an MMORPG should be. Game has its faults, but it's very good at what it tries to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been a WoW player since Dec 2004 and still loving it but this game rocks, no joke. If GW2 had real end game raiding, it would be better than WoW overall for me but because raiding in WoW is so god damn fun and the main reason I still play (looking forward to challenge modes now) I still can't wait for Sep 25th. This is certainly, hands down the best MMO to hit the shelves since WoW but behind WoW still for me.
    Last edited by Palmz; 2012-09-10 at 04:15 AM.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

No, its a fantastic game with so much to do. The people complaining that the game is boring are the people who want raids/mount/etc. Basically the people that want GW2 to be like Rift, WoW, SWToR and every other MMO that follows the same simple formulae. The thing is that GW2 doesnt follow that formula and it never pretended that it was going to.

Personally, I took my time levelling. I had some issues with crafting due to the first 2 weeks problems with the Trading Post (which is absolutely superb btw. Far better than any other games auction house or whatever equivalent they use) which slowed my progress as I started working on farming materials, rather than enjoying the levelling experience, but once I decided to just move on, the game became great again. Now that Ive beaten Zhaitan, I could go on to farming the 3 high-end areas for Karma to work on my set armours, but Ive decided to go back and explore all the zones I missed whilst levelling and maybe grab the materials I need to finish levelling my crafting tradeskills. Ive spent some time, but not a great deal in WvW which I definitely want to focus on a bit more when the server rebalancing becomes a 2 weekly thing rather than daily. I havent even touched SPvP yet and I would very much like to, as I find the PVP in GW2 to be miles ahead of WoW. Basically what Im saying is, I have a lot left to do and Im enjoying that concept.

If youre into the levelling experience, exploration, playing with other people and large scale PVP battles then yes, GW2 is a great game for you. If youre into raids, mounts and standing around in Stormwind/Orgrimmar for hours on end waiting for a dungeon queue to pop, then no this game probably wont suit you. Beyond exploration, crafting stations and the TP/bank NPCs, Ive found very little reason to stay in any city for longer than I needed to. Yet the cities feel populated and busy regardless. Even if youre unsure of the games lasting appeal, you get a hell of a lot of game for your £30-£50 (depending on where you buy it from) and even after you complete the game, its probably worth another playthrough with a different race, just to see how the storyline branches out differently.

Oh, did I mention that there will be lots of free content coming in the future as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmz View Post
    Been a WoW player since Dec 2004 and still loving it but this game rocks, no joke. If GW2 had real end game raiding, it would be better than WoW overall for me but because raiding in WoW is so god damn fun and the main reason I still play (looking forward to challenge modes now) I still can't wait for Sep 25th. This is certainly, hands down the best MMO to hit the shelves since WoW but behind WoW still for me.
    Must not have played too many MMOs then if you think WoW has the best raiding.

If the price of the game means nothing to you, get it. If it's not "nothing", then try the free trial version. If there is no free trial version, ask yourself why such a great game does not have a free trial version, because it's obvious no one would stop playing if the game is great

For me a game without a free trial version is a game that knows it might suck for a big chunk of those trying it. So I just stay away from such things, I better throw the money in the toilet than spend it on a game I play for 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Must not have played too many MMOs then if you think WoW has the best raiding.
    It has, but that's not the point of this thread.

Lets not forget the Negative Guild Wars 2 thread on this forum on 99 pages already. :S
    Not all of these are negative - my comment is a mix.

Like I said when the creators claim the game is going to be a 'revolutionary' MMO and it falls short of that then you're going to be disappointed. Even if you gave the game an overall positive experience of 7-8/10.

I am Level 31 at the moment with one class Elementalist and happy to continue playing.
    Still interested in trying out other classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    If the price of the game means nothing to you, get it. If it's not "nothing", then try the free trial version. If there is no free trial version, ask yourself why such a great game does not have a free trial version, because it's obvious no one would stop playing if the game is great

For me a game without a free trial version is a game that knows it might suck for a big chunk of those trying it. So I just stay away from such things, I better throw the money in the toilet than spend it on a game I play for 2 days

It has, but that's not the point of this thread.
    No major mmo has a trial at the start. WoW didnt have trial, tor didnt have a trial. Not having a trial is not an indicator of whether the game is good or bad.

I haven't been to MMOC in a while, too busy playing gw2 :/

MMOC will always be funny when after 3 days of having a blast on GW2 and everyone in my guild enjoying it (not enjoying the wvw queue though... find a solution Anet) I come here and see thread like "I haven't played the game but is it as bad as they say ?".

Who the hell is saying that ? Some random dude on a WoW fansite ?

Who gives a shit. If you start listening to other random people opinion don't play WoW either because WoW is hated across the whole internet "lol casual game", "lol pandas" etc. etc. Do you listen to those opinion too ?

I mean are you serious ? You either like what you see (videos, stream, content) to justify a buy or you don't and then don't bother. The good thing about GW2 is that even if you end up not really liking it it will only cost you 60$ instead of much more from a sub game.

Hey game is not perfect and won't please everybody with it's features that's for sure. No game can do that.

Again, who is saying it's a bad game ? Certainly not this guy and the likes (and you know what ? Even this is just the opinion of someone and you should judge for yourself):

Oh and the big negative thread it's:
    -10 guy having a conversation
    -A lot of gw2 fans defending the game

Read it before saying "99 pages" lolwut.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-09-10 at 08:24 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ive not read all the messages in here, but in my opinion GW2 is the best MMO in a long time.

I even find it more amusing then a new launch of a WoW expansion and ive been playing Wow for nearly 7 years.

I rly think its great and challenging, everything just feels good.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.