Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenion View Post
    That's pretty cool, so the zombies also react to light? or was it the burning sound made by flare attracted them?

I hope the gun ammos are not everywhere so you have to learn how to aim, conserve ammo and dodge needless fights. Instead of just another spray and pray after certain point of gaming.
    They said ammo will not be that common, so yes you have to preserve ammo and just not waste it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenion View Post
    I disagree, if you want less severe penalty for death then.. just wait for stand-alone version for DayZ. War Z will make game community much much more dynamic and important.
    I don't know if severe is the correct term for what I am looking for. I rather like the idea of perma-death, and having to start from scratch. This is often the case in DayZ. I don't agree with a forced 24 hour suspension from a game that you enjoy playing. Whether it is just for one character or not remains to be seen, but having alts in a game like this seems out of place to me as well.

*sigh* Just got killed in DayZ by a hacker that wiped the server, so honestly I'm ready for any game that comes out. Whether it be standalone DayZ or The War Z.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    I don't know if severe is the correct term for what I am looking for. I rather like the idea of perma-death, and having to start from scratch. This is often the case in DayZ. I don't agree with a forced 24 hour suspension from a game that you enjoy playing. Whether it is just for one character or not remains to be seen, but having alts in a game like this seems out of place to me as well.

*sigh* Just got killed in DayZ by a hacker that wiped the server, so honestly I'm ready for any game that comes out. Whether it be standalone DayZ or The War Z.
    The 24 hour suspension is for one character. Its not account wide. Its to give you the fear of dying. It makes the game feel more immersive, which I agree with. As for hardcore, you lose your character completely. Having alts does seem a bit out of place, but they don't want to penalize you completely. If you manage to die on all of your alts, well, you're doing something wrong xD

Either way, for this to be a true zombie survival experience... you need to be afraid the entire time. Checking every corner. Staying on the alert. I watched a few streams of DayZ, and from what I've seen, people just steal a car and drive around looking for people. They completely ignore zombies and just go on their way. When they're out running around, they still ignore zombies. None of them are immersed into the game itself- they just have enjoyment from griefing other players.

Deleted

Remember, in normal mode your character will be "locked" for 24 hours but you can instant unlock it if you spend the ingame gold you find (NOT PAY TO PLAY CURRENCY) so lets say, if you want access again to your character you pay (WoW currencies) 100G, so if you cant wait you can instant unlock it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Although I am excited for this game, I am a bit worried about how they plan to approach death penalties and the such. Honestly, I feel Day Z has properly handled penalties for death. You can lose everything, or you can get everything back if you have a organized team.

From what I have read, it looks like hardcore has permadeath much like dayz, while "softcore" or normal mode has a 24 hour death timer? I can understand not wanting to lose progression towards skills, but a timer on playing the game? That just seems overboard.

I feel that they shouldn't have hardcore and normal mode at all, they should just have the same penalties as dayz. If you die, you spawn at some random point on the map, and can lose everything. I do not believe this should apply to skill progression. Maybe in menial skills, like running a longer distance without becoming winded, that could be lost. Idk, im just worried alot about this portion of the game.
    The problem with DayZ is that there is no penalty and it's a huge PvP fest. If people were worried about dieing (24 hour lock out) than they wouldn't kill everyone in their sight and get marked as a bandit with a bounty on their head. I think this is a brilliant idea. I like the idea of keeping some stuff because starting from scratch every time you die would get boring and tiresome. They tried to make this game as real as possible while still giving it the game aspects that make people want to play it.

Also, ALPHA. The game hasn't even gone into beta yet, that 24 hour penalty could end up being 2 hours, or even non existent, depending on how the community reacts. But at least wait till beta, when real players get to test it, before you complain about stuff like this.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Deleted
    Hey chaps, any idea on how much the game will cost ? The Preorder page is but a page where you enter your email hoping for closed beta. I know a price might not have been decided on yet, but hey, it's worth asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    The problem with DayZ is that there is no penalty and it's a huge PvP fest. If people were worried about dieing (24 hour lock out) than they wouldn't kill everyone in their sight and get marked as a bandit with a bounty on their head. I think this is a brilliant idea. I like the idea of keeping some stuff because starting from scratch every time you die would get boring and tiresome. They tried to make this game as real as possible while still giving it the game aspects that make people want to play it.

Also, ALPHA. The game hasn't even gone into beta yet, that 24 hour penalty could end up being 2 hours, or even non existent, depending on how the community reacts. But at least wait till beta, when real players get to test it, before you complain about stuff like this.
    I understand that the game is still in alpha stages. This is a discussion forum however, and this is the only thing I am reserved about when it comes to The War Z. The only other game that I know of which gave a penalty much like this was America's Army. If you were insubordinate you were put in the brig for something like 1 week. I shot my drill instructor and couldn't play for a week, which made me stop playing the game entirely.

Now that was when I was a teen, and I'm sure as an adult ill handle it differently, but it still seems to be overkill. However, I agree with a previous post in which someone mentioned that the premise of PvP should have lasting consequences and be a difficult decision. Now the balancing act comes into play.

Maybe along with some penalty for death, you can penalize people for killing to often. Much akin to the humanity gage in DayZ, but more severe penalties if it gets to low. It could even be realistic effects, like guilt not allowing you to eat and forcing loss of health, or shaking constantly. Basically any effects of PTSD could be applied, even debilitating hallucinations if you go to far down the murder road.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenom View Post
    Hey chaps, any idea on how much the game will cost ? The Preorder page is but a page where you enter your email hoping for closed beta. I know a price might not have been decided on yet, but hey, it's worth asking.
    It will be $30.

If you pre-order it, then it will be cheaper.

Deleted
    Thanks man.

10+ Year Old Account
    New SS (I think one of the best, graphics wise, so far). The view distance looks amazing from those tall buildings in the back.
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...25044626_n.jpg

Also this post could mean that pre-ordering and guaranteed alpha/beta testing will be starting very soon!
    http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread...version-access
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting... and I voted yes. I would be down for paying for the game up front just to help test it in Alpha. I mean I am not forced to continuously play it and its basically like a pre-order with access. I plan on pre-ordering it anyways so this would be perfect.

Voted yes.

Really look forward to actually playing it, so far I love it and can't wait to play with friends, going to be keeping a close eye on their forum for updates now.

10+ Year Old Account
    im excited by this, i love zombies, and i love mmos so this could be right up my street. however after so much dissapoinment with other mmos im not going to get too hyped.... or so i keep tellingyself. cheers for the info op.

Deleted
    * Big open worlds to explore between 200 to 400 square kilometers
    Any videos/images/something on this ?

Deleted
    News update! please note this will be updated to the OP aswell, reason for doing it in here is that so you know what the new information is.

Beta/Alpha Soon?

It seems the creators of The WarZ want to make the game playable as soon as possible, they started a Poll to see who would like to pay ahead to play the Alpha/Beta + The full game.

To participate in the Poll click here

New screenshot has been added aswell,

Check the mainpost for video's there is one that shows the rough scale of it. ( created by a user NOT by the acctual game developers )

Thanks to Waaldo for putting in the Poll, i totally missed that!
    Last edited by mmoc95246e56fb; 2012-09-10 at 01:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Mark said, the mainpost will give images of the scale of the map as well as a user created video using the exact dimensions. The map is going to be over twice the size of Skyrim, that is a fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    As Mark said, the mainpost will give images of the scale of the map as well as a user created video using the exact dimensions. The map is going to be over twice the size of Skyrim, that is a fact.
    Big enough! I'm going to fully check the main post [only did it briefly unfortunately].

Thanks to both of you.

Deleted
    No offense but I think Day Z will shit on this in terms of gameplay when the standalone is released. The current alpha is amazing if you take away the bugs, hackers and limited playability (to an extent).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Striipes View Post
    No offense but I think Day Z will shit on this in terms of gameplay when the standalone is released. The current alpha is amazing if you take away the bugs, hackers and limited playability (to an extent).
    What gameplay? Right now its nothing but straight PvP. Everyone ignores zombies and just goes for other players. That won't change when the standalone is released. There is nothing stopping you from dying. There is no fear of death.

At least in The War Z, you are locked out of your character and lose what is in your bags (not shared stash).

10+ Year Old Account
    The 24 hour suspension is for one character. Its not account wide. Its to give you the fear of dying. It makes the game feel more immersive, which I agree with. As for hardcore, you lose your character completely. Having alts does seem a bit out of place, but they don't want to penalize you completely. If you manage to die on all of your alts, well, you're doing something wrong xD

Either way, for this to be a true zombie survival experience... you need to be afraid the entire time. Checking every corner. Staying on the alert. I watched a few streams of DayZ, and from what I've seen, people just steal a car and drive around looking for people. They completely ignore zombies and just go on their way. When they're out running around, they still ignore zombies. None of them are immersed into the game itself- they just have enjoyment from griefing other players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post

Im not convinced that having multiple modes is a good idea nor do I think this is a good idea to have "mixed" servers.

You see the thing is this game should be hard enough that you will die multiple times when you first start playing. If this game does not have a difficulty level like the one associated with DayZ and instead is more like Left 4 Dead I will be extremely disappointed. If this game does have the same difficulty on par with DayZ, having to wait 24 hours or start a new toon is going to become bullshit very fast. So then we are forced to play a hardcore character which wouldn't be an issue accept the fact they wont allow 3rd person view. Why does there even need to be more than one mode? I don't see anything in these modes that will inspire people to not KoS, build rolling grief squads, or hack. What I do see is everyone feeling pidgeon held into a hardcore character, losing some of the playability, or rerolling toons over and over again and getting extremely pissed when they "accidentally" die or get griefed. Then the next thing you know we will have "softcore mode" where you can respawn right away with all your stats and gear.

Im not even going to get started on this mixed mode server shit either....

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 10:31 AM ----------

What gameplay? Right now its nothing but straight PvP. Everyone ignores zombies and just goes for other players. That won't change when the standalone is released. There is nothing stopping you from dying. There is no fear of death.

At least in The War Z, you are locked out of your character and lose what is in your bags (not shared stash).
    The War Z will be no less of a PvP game. Video game Zombies can only be programmed to be difficult for so long. After enough time every player is going to want a bigger challenge which will only come from engaging players who learn and become better with time. As with DayZ, Zombies will only become a small annoyance while you hunt and engage real people.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-09-10 at 05:39 PM.